Re: Friday of the Crucifixion

  • Varkey T.A
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2008
      Dear Moderators

      I find the messages by Mr. Isaac and Rev. Fr Cheruthottil on liturgical traditions (connected with Good Friday) a bit extreme.

      Throughout the history of the Church, rituals have changed - we have ample documented evidence for that. Also, at a any given time, traditions at different locations have been different. The different schools of Syriac musical traditions are just one example of this. We are not a military and will never succeed in imposing one way of doing things. Unformity and consistency to some extent can be achieved through better education of our clergy and laity - but even so different practices will always exist. We have to recognize that there are practices which differ in importance in terms of harmony with Orthodox faith. It is harmony of our faith and practices that matter the most - our hierarchs have to make sure that they are not discordant.

      Other things - such as whether we cover the cross with a white cloth vs black cloth - I am not sure merit the need to enforce rules around.

      I also found amusing the claim that all Malankara Malpans do not support a practice which is the practice in the Middle East. I would ask for citation of sources and the roots of the claimed tradition.

      We have inherited slightly variant practices from different parts of the Middle East over the centuries.

      Regards
      Varkey Titus
      Member id # 1024