Re: Friday of the Crucifixion / Holy Week

  • Rev. Fr. David Cheruthottil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2008
      Dear beloved Friends:

      I don't usually write in this Forum. Now it is time to write regarding some practices in the MSO Church as a whole. According to our faith, there is no "KYMOTHU" in the Passion Week. If that in Order, why are we giving the Confession on Holy Week? There is 40 days for Confession before the Holy Week and in most cases it is valid for 40 days. In other words we don't have to confess for 40 days unless we do any Severe Sin. I believe when people come to confession, the Priest must have to give "HOOSSOYO" with KYMOTHU. I know in India and other parts of the world we-Orthodox Churches - all are doing this method. It is time to change because it is good for the Priests to prepare the holy Week Services and people don't have to rush for confession. The Bishops and The Holy Synod has to work on this and clear this confusion and make Holy Bull.

      My understanding is that there is a written tradition and there is a
      different tradition in practice. This is not good and we all get confused. "We must practice what we preach or written". We have to change this practice at least for the next generation's future other wise they all get confused. All the Priests in their Church does according to their feeling. This practice is not good for the future generation. The whole Holy Services are not doing the right ways according to the guidance book. That is why I said the Priests need more time to learn and prepare the Holy Week. If the Priests take more time to practice and learn more about the Service, there is no more confusion and doubts.Thus we can do a good Service in the Holy Week. This means all the Priests are not same. I am not pointing the fingers to anybody. This only my thoughts.

      Please feel free to comment on this briefing for the goodness of the Church Practices and Services and for the next Generation.

      May God Bless us all!
      Fr. David Cheruthottil
      St. George's MSO Church
      Carteret, NJ 07008