St. Gabriel's Syrian Orthodox Church gets OK to build in Haworth Friday

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2008
      Church gets OK to build in Haworth Friday,
      March 21, 2008
      BY KAREN SUDOLSTAFF WRITER

      HAWORTH — St. Gabriel's Syrian Orthodox Church has won approval to build a sanctuary on Sunset Avenue.

      The unanimous decision was reached by the Planning Board on Wednesday night following five years of hearings and litigation.

      "It's been a long process for us, and we are ready to move on and be a part of this town,'' said an ecstatic Benjamin B. Isik, secretary of the church's board of trustees. "It's a town we highly admire.''

      The approval means St. Gabriel's will become the fourth church in the 2.4-square-mile town of 3,433 residents. The 5,900-square-foot church will be built among ranch homes, colonials and larger new homes.

      The Planning Board granted the application subject to the township engineer's determination that paving requirements are met. Other conditions included a 180-seat capacity and no simultaneous use of the church and multipurpose room.

      The vote came after Deputy Fire Chief Kenneth Kiel was questioned about the Fire Department's concerns with the plan. The church agreed to the department's recommendations, including moving the parking lot 10 feet closer to the building for ladder trucks.

      Christos Diktas, lawyer for the neighboring White Beeches Golf and Country Club, which opposed the application, objected to Kiel's testifying in place of the fire chief. He requested a hearing postponement to review sketches Kiel referred to while testifying. The postponement was denied.

      Diktas said he would discuss with his client whether to appeal the Planning Board's approval.

      David Watkins, the church's lawyer, said: "It has been a struggle for five years but my clients persevered, and even with having all the objectors, they knew what they wanted was right.''

      Plans call for the sanctuary, a multipurpose room and 60 parking spaces.

      St. Gabriel's bought the 3.5-acre lot in 2002. The congregation, whose 100 to 120 families now worship in Hackensack, will be split between the two churches.

      Source: http://www.northjersey.com/news/aroundnj/Church_gets_OK_to_build_in_Haworth.html