Msheeho koum men kabro

  • His Eminence Mor Titus Yeldho
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2008
      Dearly Beloved in Christ,

      Christ is Risen!

      Throughout the year, Christians celebrate various feast days which
      commemorate the earthly but divine activities of our Lord and God
      and Saviour, Jesus Christ. There are other special feast days on
      which we commemorate St. Mary and the Saints, those faithful
      witnesses who in all generations are pleasing to God.

      As wonderful as all of these celebrations are, there is none which
      compares with that of Holy Kyomtha, the resurrection of our Lord. It
      is the feast of feasts and festival of festivals, on which we bless
      Christ forever. Easter is the most beautiful, most splendid and
      illuminating of all the feasts of our Orthodox Faith. Saint Gregory
      of Nazianzus says that, "…as the sun outshines all the stars, so
      this holy day is above all the others". And he continues to say, "In
      Christ's holy resurrection, all who are in him arose, and life,
      resurrection and the dawn of a new day were granted to those sitting
      in the shadow of death". Orthodox Christians are in Christ through
      holy Baptism and thus, in a special way we were buried with him,
      arose with him and now live our lives in the knowledge of this new
      dawn and new era bestowed upon the universe.

      Our Christian faith is based on the very reality of Christ's
      resurrection from among the dead, "as the first fruit of all who
      have fallen asleep" (1 Cor. 15:20). And it is pointing to the
      resurrection of all mankind. St. Athanasius explains, "The Saviour
      came to accomplish not his own death, but the death of men, and he
      was concerned about the resurrection of the body".

      Although the truth of resurrection is universal, we must participate
      in transfiguring the world around us by sharing this Good News and
      being admirable witness to the risen Lord. Thus beloved, while
      looking hopefully for change upon this earth, and awaiting the
      restoration of man and nature, let us reflect these things in our
      own lives. Let us rekindle in our hearts the joyous light, `the
      light which illumines all mankind', Christ himself.

      In our tradition we greet each other during these days by saying-
      Msheeho koum men kabro [Christ is Risen from the tomb] and the
      response is - shareeroyees koum. – [Indeed he is Risen]. We wish you
      all a happy and blessed feast of Kyomtho.

      + Theethose Yeldho, Archbishop
      Easter 2008