Re:We Must educate our Youngsters

  • Lijo Mathew
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
      Dear Mr.Paul,

      What you said is exactly right, because most of our youngsters are not aware of the history of the church and what exactly the reason which resulted in the split of the church. We must give additional importance in teaching the history of our church to the new generation through Sunday Schools. I think the present syllabus is not enough for this.

      Lijo Mathew Kavunkal
      # 3090
    • Shinu Jesus Abraham
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2008
        Greetings to all

        Sorry for a late response for an old mail from Mr. Lijo on 3rd
        March. I just wanted to highlight the fact that it is not the Sunday
        school syllabus to be changed but our own reading habits.

        If we were to stop our learning from what we learn from the schools
        or colleges we will never achieve anything in life, but have to
        update/ upgrade your knowledge each and every day. We can never
        study all the church history from Sunday school alone. We can never
        understand the mysteries just from our Sunday school days. This
        should give you only a right base or right path the think which
        needed to be enhanced by continuous reading. It is worthwhile for
        all of us to think about it.

        Let me just share with you all two thoughts. First one did happen a
        couple of months back in SOCM forum itself. On of our respected
        priests was informing about the reprinting of one of his works with
        a footnote – if he is not able to get an order of 1000 copies
        beforehand, it will not be printed." Isn't it a big shame for all of
        us? A thousand copies cannot be sold among half a million population
        of SOC members?

        Secondly most of us know that our Very Respected Malpan,
        Kaniamparambil achen is an author of over 90 books. How many each of
        us have read them other than the regular prayer books and the
        Visudhagrandham? I shamefully admit that I got the opportunity to
        read just 2 books.

        Recently in Visvasasamrakshakan we saw the inauguration of a book
        shop in Puthenkurish Partriarchal Centre. Why we don't have a book
        shop in every diocese head quarters? Why we don't have a book shop
        in every major church? Why don't we think of having a library of all
        these books in each parish? Enhance the availability of these great
        books and every metropolitan and priests have to actively promote to
        all our SOC to encourage reading among all the members. The youth
        associations will have a major role to play in this. We have to
        learn many things from other denominations who do handle all these
        very efficiently. To my knowledge it was our own Valiya Thirumeni a
        hundred years back started the youth association in the name of "Mar
        Gregorious" with a great vision. It is worthwhile for us to think
        whether we did justice to the extent the saintly father dreamed of
        it.

        With the advent of electronic media we did improve a lot because of
        the wholehearted and dedicated works of a few members of our church
        (which reaches only a minority even), compared to the dark days of
        twisted versions of facts by Manorama and teachings of few others.
        But still we need to go a long way which is only possible through
        enhancing the knowledge of all our members in every regard for which
        reading is only medicine.

        May God bless us all.

        Shinu Jesus Abraham
        Member ID # 2908