Jacobite Church launches foreign affairs unit

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2008
      Jacobite Church launches foreign affairs unit

      The centre is equipped to conduct inquiries into the background
      of agencies that recruit people from the community

      KOCHI: Aiming to ensure safe living and working conditions for its members migrating to foreign countries, the Jacobite Syrian Church has launched a foreign affairs unit in Puthencruz.

      This centre is equipped to conduct inquiries into the background of agencies and organisations that recruit people from here. The Church will keep a tab on doctors, nurses, Information Technology professional, labourers and nuns and priests who are going abroad.

      All candidates seeking employment can contact the unit to gather information about the agencies that recruit them for jobs outside the country.

      The unit will contact the Church�s various congregations in these countries and conduct a thorough investigation into the affairs of the agencies as well as the employer.

      It will cross-check the background, the working conditions, promised salary, accommodation facilities and other info and report to the candidates.

      �There has been many complaints about malpractice in this field. So we decided to open a cell and do a thorough checking on the employers and agencies," said Fr Varghese Kallappara, chief spokesperson of the Jacobite Syrian Church.

      Members of the Church mainly seek employment in Germany, the US and the Gulf countries.

      Doctors, nurses and IT professionals are in demand. Many women have also migrated to the Gulf to work as domestic maids.

      �These women also face hardships. They are not always given the promised job or wages. In future, such women candidates can also contact the cell to check their prospective employers,� says Fr Kallappara.

      Nuns and priests who are sent to foreign congregations for studies and service can also seek the help of the Church to collect information about their future life in the foreign countries.

      Apart from the Malayali congregations, many foreign congregations also select nuns from Kerala as there is a shortage of nuns in Western countries.

      The centre has already received inquiries from all parts of the state regarding job opportunities abroad.

      The Church secretary is given the charge of the centre that aims to provide better lives for its laity in an alien land.

      Source:
      http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEX20080211000434&Page=X&Title=Kochi&Topic=0&
    • George Varghese
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2008
        Please advise the telephone number, contact person and email address
        to contact the foreign affairs unit. A website for foreign affairs
        should be made in future.

        George Maliyil