The Lenten Prayer of St Ephrem the Syrian Part 3

  • SOCM Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2008
      The Lenten Prayer of St Ephrem the Syrian Part 3

      By Protopresbyter Alexander Schmemann

      Lust of power! Strange as it may seem, it is precisely sloth anddespondency that fill our life with lust of power. By vitiating theentire attitude toward life and making it meaningless and empty, they force us to seek compensation in, a radically wrong attitude toward other persons. If my life is not oriented toward God, not aimed at eternal values, it will inevitably become selfish and selfcentered and this means that all other beings will become means of my own self -satisfaction. If God is not the Lord and Master of my life, then I become my own lord and master -- the absolute center of my own world, and I begin to evaluate everything in terms of my needs, my ideas, my desires, and my judgments. The lust of power is thus a fundamental depravity in my relationship to other beings, a search for their subordination to me. It is not necessarily expressed in the actual urge to command and to dominate "others." It may result as well inindifference, contempt, lack of interest, consideration, and respect.

      It is indeed sloth and despondency directed this time at others; itcompletes spiritual suicide with spiritual murder.

      Contd... Part 4