Truth behind the lies of the IOC

  • Robin J. Mani
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2008
      Although it can be argued that responding to the attacks of the IOC
      think tanks is a waste of energy and bear no fruits, I find recent
      comments attacking our Church so distasteful that something must be
      said.

      On the recent ordination of a Syrian Monk, many IOC thinkers
      condemned the actions of the Holy Patriarch, for excommunicating the
      Monk. My only answer is that this ordination is not even seen as
      valid by the so called constitution of the IOC. The IOC leadership
      does not even acknowledge this ordination. This is purely an
      internal conflict of the IOC, which in order to hide the disunity of
      the IOC, is injected with factional rhetoric. The Holy Patriarch did
      His duty to uphold the faith and discipline of the Holy Church.

      IOC forum recently posted very distressing comments, referring to the credentials of our Jacobite Bishops. The Jacobite Church does not need to defend the credentials of its Bishops to the IOC think
      tanks. We firmly support our Holy Fathers and their loyalty to the
      Holy Throne of Antioch. Their credentials need be only accepted by
      our Father in Heaven, not by a cheap despicable person like you.
      Before you check the credentials of our Bishops, examine your
      Churches and Bishops credentials. One fellow makes it a hobby to
      post newspaper articles by rogue groups against the Holy Syriac
      Orthodox Church. These rogue groups are very few and want wealth and
      power and thus attach themselves to the IOC for those gains. What
      creditability do they have, they were staunch supporters of the
      Syriac Orthodox Church in India and now switch sides. The Gospel of
      St. Luke 6:42 says How can you say to your neighbor, Friend let me
      take out the speck in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the
      log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your
      own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your
      neighbor's eye. Look at the state of your Church, the disunity,
      strife, don't worry about our Holy Fathers, we firmly believe in God
      and have faith the Holy Spirit guides our Holy Church, not a
      newspaper and few wealthy families.

      Finally I would like to comment on the ideas of Unity brought up by
      the IOC think tanks. Let me as one very crucial question, why would
      the Jacobite Church want to unite with the IOC? On what grounds
      should we unite? The IOC wants to force their administration, their
      constitution, and their laws down the throats of the Jacobite
      faithful. They refer to our Holy Father, The Patriarch as a
      foreigner. The IOC doesn't want the faithful Jacobites, they try to
      pacify us in order to gain our Churches and properties. The
      constitution of 1934 was written by a faction of the Malankara
      Syrian Orthodox Church, yet it must stand for the whole Church. What
      sense does this make? Unity will only be a possibility when the
      Jacobites are added to the equation. The Holy Patriarch must be the
      Supreme Head of the Church. We, the Jacobites, have no compulsion to
      join some pseudo-Indian Orthodox Church. We want to retain our
      ancient ties and traditions. The last time their was peace the
      Jacobites bowed down to the needs of the IOC, never again will we
      jeopardize our traditions and faith for the sake of unity. The IOC
      may hold the idea that there is only one Orthodox Church in India,
      We also hold that to be true there is only one TRUE ancient Orthodox
      Church in India under the Holy See of Antioch and all others
      separated from The Holy Mother Church.

      Your Servant in Christ,
      Robin J. Mani
      2364
    • Sajy Thannikottu
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
        Dear Robin J. Mani

        It may be good to differentiate faith from tradition as both are
        totally different topics.
        Faith is connected to what we are believing whereas tradition is
        connected to what we are practicing. After all, choice is yours!

        Sajy Thannikottu, Kathmandu
      • Varugese C J
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
          Dear All,

          It is a fact the now-a-days in the SOCM-FORUM we refrain from putting
          anything unpleasant to the larger Syrian Faithfuls, who are regular
          subscribers of this group mail. I think it is because we believe in the words of our Lord not to look for the prick that is in our brothers eye, forgetting what is in our own. This doesn't mean that we are constantly keeping a closed eye to all the mud-throwing tactics of the other faction, the IOC.

          As St. Thomas Christians of this great sub-continent in the South-East; both our factions inherit the same faith, same vestments and lot more in common. It doesn't mean that we can be carried away by few funatics from the other faction, which is trying to establish their new credentials to prove that the Indian Church is independent in all respects since AD 52. There are scores to historians trying to prove it with pure assumptions, without any clear evidence of their own. They forget the basic tenets of historial evidences one should have before venturing on writing a historical event. Recently I read in such a proclamation of one of their historians that the
          name "Jacobite" is being given after St. James, the brother of Jesus. The poor IOC-ians are now fed with such history.

          A few new entrants are 1958 are more vocal than the old-timers in IOC
          faction. It is fact the how the Malankara Reet lured people to their fold in n1930s (with money & honey); the same tactics are being put on practice by IOC in the northern dioceses, Mor Ougen was elevated to the post of Catholicos; their present Catholicos elect is also like that. The Moovattupuzha Athanasios and Thrissur Militeous is being given a monthly substance allowance, which ran into lakhs. By orchestrating a split in a Church with the help of a clergy and few among the parish members, they know that they will be controlling the rich Parishes, and thereby pocket the permanent income coming out of the immovable assets of that parish. It is interesting to note that all those who benefitted with such a split, are more vocal and others. Whereas in south the picture is exactly reverse to
          such scenario. The Jacobite Churches in south are either small; and the people broke away from IOC-ians about 70-80 years or more before and hence very much clear about their faith; and they do not come out with petty ambitions of making money out of such a move. In northern dioceses our people and leadership should be more vigilant against such a move. It is high time that we should turn away from any move of unity in any move; but only to extend our Great Christian value of LOVE; and consider it as a sister Church of same faith.

          The other faction is really worried too much on the growth of our Church. With each unity move in the past; we lost great opportunities of growth; but at last we are able to stand firm on our foot; and challenge the tall claim of Goliaths, and that really make them worry. Incidently, their tactics of mud-slinging of our Metropolitans remind me of selection of David, the shepherd to the throne of King. All his high-profile brothers were rejected
          by Jehovah, but the meek and weak sheperd boy David was chosen by the
          Prophet for the elevated post under instraction from Jehovah. It is evident that the worldly election to a high priest's position will make the incumbant act like political figures only. Since their election is made not by the Holy Spirit, but multitude of people; who are mere humans. The tall claim of democratic processes are all only on paper; but the push and pull behind the curtains are now being exposed by the media to the mass and hence their clergy are loosing ground; and the panic created by such a situation is very well visible in Devalokam turning into a Dvilslokam now-a-days.

          I feel sorry to put this mail; but compeled to do so due to pain and agony in hearing lies from not only from the laity, but also from among the clergy.

          With prayers,
          CJ Varughese
          Member ID 1012
        • Saju Paulose
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
            Dear Brothers Varghese C.J, T.M.Chacko, Paul Pothen, Bibu, Abraham
            Kurian, Sabu Alias, J. Kurien, Mathew G.M, Robin Mani and johnson,

            As long as the Jacobite Church has true sons like you people, nothing will happen to this Church. Angry dogs will bark and crazy wolves will howl. However, the mighty elephant-the great Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church-will continue its proud royal walk with the great mahout-H.B. Baselios Thomas I-on its back holding the Patriarchal flag.

            Regards,

            Saju Paulose
            New York