Does Astrology Always Work?

  • Rev. Dn.Bennet Kuriakose
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2008
      In the recent educated society too, it is despair to see that men are
      before Astrology and its concepts. Many look into astrological column
      of weekly or monthly, anxiously to see what would happen to them in
      future. They are afraid of 'Rahu' than God. What is the significance
      of Astrology in life? Does it always work? Is it scientific? Let us
      have a bird's-eye-view on this topic.

      <"Science and Logics against Astrology">

      To many scientists, the idea that planetary bodies billions of miles
      away somehow can affect human behavior is absurd. These are some of
      the arguments that can be shot against Astrology and its concepts:

      1. Astrologers only include 12 constellations in their zodiac. The
      zodiac takes into account the constellations situated along the solar
      ecliptic; but according to science and Astronomy, there are 13
      constellations along the solar ecliptic.

      2. Astrologers dismiss about 100 billion to 200 billion stars in the
      Universe. They only pay attention to the stars related with
      constellations., What is the "force" that established that only the
      stars that form the apparent constellations would influence on the
      behavior and fate of human beings and the other billions of stars
      would not?

      3. Have you heard about a psychological experience called Pareidolia?
      Pareidolia is a genetically programmed tendency of animals with a
      developed encephalon to try to find decipherable forms in chaotic
      forms. For example, to seek forms in the clouds, in stains, etc. It
      is the same phenomenon that happened 4000 years ago when some
      Babylonians tried to find common figures among the stars and gave a
      name to the constellations that was in line with their mythical
      heroes. Some centuries after, when Greek and Roman cultures emerged,
      the names of the constellations were changed to bring them into line
      with their myths. The same thing happened in the case of Indian
      Astrology also.

      4. Why the astrologers cannot forecast different events in the lives
      and destinies of identical twins, if they were born the same day, at
      the same hour and at the same place? Both have been born from a common womb, but the chances in their lives are not the same, except by some similarities in their phenotypic characteristics and preferences that are determined by genes, not by stars or "special cosmic energies". However, their astrological charts are indistinguishable!

      5. There does not seem to be any natural explanation for how the stars could directly affect a child at the point of birth. The gravitational and electromagnetic affect of a nearby clock or the mobile phone of the doctor would be greater than that of the nearest planet.

      6. Why do the birth time and place necessary for Natal Astrology? Why
      do the exact time of fertilization not important to reckon the future? Why do the astrological effects discarded when the fetus is inside the womb? What special properties do a womb has in temporarily shielding astrological effects?

      7. What we have to say about the Astrological future of people born
      within the arctic and Antarctic circles who have no diurnal arc and no astrological information?

      8. Why did earlier famous Astrologers not consider the inaccuracies resulting from not taking into account the influences of planets like Uranus or Neptune, but taking simple imaginary nodal points of moon's orbit (Rahu and Ketu)?

      9. Since the distance of planets is not taken into consideration, is
      the unknown Astrological force totally independent of distance? If so, should Astrology take into account distant nebula, stars, black holes, pulsars and planets? Is there an Astrologic effect from the asteroid belt, the space shuttles, artificial satellites, moons of other planets, comets, solar flares, or interstellar dust clouds?

      10. Statistical evidences are also available against astrology. If we
      observe the Natal Horoscopes of different Astronauts walked on moon or that of the different Nobel Prize winners, we can see that they are mutually in confutation!

      <"Holy Bible and Christianity against Astrology">

      Bible and Christianity are absolutely against astrology and other
      pseudo-sciences. Yahweh has prohibited Astrology by the following
      verses:

      "Therefore, since, He had forbidden them to consult either magi or
      soothsayers, either astrologers or observers of animals' entrails, and had required them to be satisfied with his teaching alone, he added the promise that a prophet would never be wanting in Israel"
      (Deuteronomy 18:15).

      Through the prophet Isaiah, chapter 47, verses 13 and 14, the Lord says:

      "You are wearied in the multitude of your counsels: let now the
      astrologers, the star-gazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up,
      and save you from the things that shall come on you. Behold, they
      shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver
      themselves from the power of the flame: it shall not be a coal to warm at, nor a fire to sit before."

      When the astrologers of the Assyrians, or Babylonians, from which we have inherited astrology, confronted Daniel, he answered:

      "The secret which the king hath demanded cannot the wise men, the
      astrologers, the magicians, the soothsayers, shew unto the king; But
      there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets…" (Daniel 2:27, 28)

      From the start, the Church strongly opposed the false teachings of Astrology. St. Paul in his Canon regarding the Holy Baptism describes like this:

      "He that is guilty of sins not to be named, a sodomite, an effeminate
      person, a magician, an enchanter, an astrologer, a diviner, an user of magic verses, a juggler, a mountebank, one that makes amulets, a
      charmer, a soothsayer, a fortune-teller, an observer of palmistry…let
      these be proved for some time, for this sort of wickedness is hard to
      be washed away; and if they leave off those practices, let them be
      received; but if they will not agree to that, let them be rejected"
      (Canon XXXII ).

      The ancient book of Didache that describes the teachings
      of the Apostles, says:

      "My child, be no dealer in omens, since it leads to idolatry, nor an
      enchanter nor an astrologer nor a magician, neither be willing to look at them; for from all these things idolatry is engendered." (Didache 3:4)

      God did not create the planets and stars with the intention that they would dominate man, but that they like other creatures, should obey and serve him. St. Gregory the Great writes:

      "Man was not made for the stars, but rather the stars for man; and if
      a star can be called the ruler of man, then man must be considered the slave of his own servants."

      <"Conclusion">

      Astrology one of the many superstitions of ancient days, which still
      flourish in our own day. But the stupidity of it all is best summed up by the immortal Shakespeare; "This is the excellent foppery of the
      world, that when we are sick in fortune we make guilty of our disaster the sun, the moon, and the stars; as if we were villains by necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves and teachers by spherical predominance; runkards, liars, and adulterers by an enforced obedience of planetary influence." St. Gregory of Nyssa, summing up the essential aspect of human dignity, rightly says if we are but instruments of heavenly rotation then we do not have free will. "And if man loses freedom, he loses everything." If man is not free, man is not man. So let us rely completely on the Lord. Let us accept His will in everyday life.

      May God help us live a true and benevolent Christian life!

      Dn. Bennet Kuriakose