Devotional thoughts for 1st Sunday after Denaha - 13th Jan 08þ

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2008
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Matthew 4:12-22

      Dear and Respected Brethren

      Today's reading begins with the statement of St. Matthew that the
      prophecy of Isaiah in chapter 9 verses 1-2 has been fulfilled as and
      when our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ departed from Nazareth and
      settled at Capernaum and started His blessed public mission. The
      Prophecy says that the who were in darkness and the dimness were
      able to enjoy the brightness of God and they abandoned all the
      practices they had till then of the effects of darkness. Though they
      were gentiles, after the transformation they were no longer children
      of darkness. They sought entire freedom from the darkness and its
      influence. They became the children of the bright light and the
      spokesmen of the brightness. In verse 15 we could find the statement
      of St. Matthew, where we read "The land of Zebulon and the land of
      Naphthalim by way of the sea beyond Jordan, Galilee of the
      gentiles, the people which sat in darkness saw great light and to
      them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung
      up."

      We are indeed bound to subject this scriptural portion for our
      earnest study and thorough thinking. Since our birth we all are
      brought up in the Christian atmosphere and we all are keen in
      following a religious life and of course a virtuous life. Still
      could we claim that we are free from the influence of darkness? Are
      we not searching in the darkness and its after effects, though we
      speak highly of our Church life and religious practices? The people
      of Galilee, Naphthali and Zebulun were able to identify Lord Jesus
      as the Savior of the entire mankind and the creation. Why we cannot
      accept Him as our personal Savior? Though we remain so close to our
      Lord, do we recognize Him and His blessed presence very near to us?
      If not we must realize that there is a serious mistake in the style
      of our lives. We have to confess every day and if possible at every
      moment in our minds at least: "Lord thou art my God and Savior". We
      have to create such a warm and sweet personal relationship with our
      Lord.

      "In Him was life and the life was the light of man" St. John remarks
      so in his Gospel chapter 1:4. Again he says "And that light has come
      into the world" (St. John 3:19) And when the light came to the world
      the gentiles got benefited. We all are supposed to reserve the light
      from God in us and to reflect them to the fellowmen who are in
      darkness, precisely like the moon who do reserve sunlight and
      reflects the same at night. Then only our Lords words that we are
      the light of the world would come true. (Please see St. Matthew 5:14
      and St. John 8: 12) Let us make a decision now that we would reserve
      the brightness and light of God in us and would reflect the same to
      the needy people and places.

      Verse 17 says about our Lord's first and most important message to
      the world: to repent for the kingdom of God is at hand. The kingdom
      of God or the heaven, the dwelling place of God is to be realized as
      a spiritual experience with the triune God rather than a place. Our
      Lord wants one and all of us to be with Him in His blessed Kingdom.
      Remember the importance He has given to pray for the kingdoms
      arrival. In Lord's Prayer He insists us to pray: "Thy Kingdom come,
      thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven". We are familiar with
      the term 'repentance' and many of us consider that it is a pre-
      condition to have the sacrament of H. Confession. That is true as it
      is. But we must realize that repentance is a pre-condition for
      establishing a contact with our Lord God. Without repentance we
      cannot gain any of the blessings from our Lord God. Kindly remember
      that the repentance is the freedom from selfish thoughts, deeds and
      words. Selfishness is the root cause of all sins which distracts us
      from God and the heavenly experiences.

      In Verse 18 and 19 our Lord called St. Peter and his brother St.
      Andrew who were engaged in their profession of fishing. They were
      attracted by the call "follow me, I shall make you fishers of men".
      They followed Him leaving away all their belongings and earnings
      which they had till then. Lord Jesus called all the Apostles alike
      to continue His deeds on earth. Our Lord's aim was to earn all the
      mankind for His kingdom. Lord Jesus is calling each and everyone of
      us also. It is generally assumed by many of us that the call is only
      for the priests or the candidates for priesthood. Realize that the
      call is for everyone. It doesn't mean that all of us must spend 24
      hours of the day for the mission works. God is calling you and me to
      witness Him wherever we are. To witness Christ, we must be guided by
      the Holy Spirit in our lives. So let us ask for the renewal of the
      Holy Spirit in us so that we could respond to God's call and we
      could witness Him substantially.

      In verses 21 and 22 we hear the call of our Lord again to St. James
      and St. John who were repairing the fishing net with their father.
      They also followed Christ without conditions. They also left the
      worldly riches they had in addition to their moral obligations to
      their father.

      May the continued intercession of the blessed Apostles be a fort of
      protection for all of us. May God bless us all.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.