Christians in India

  • Georgey Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      Dear Mr. Philip Scaria, I greet you in the name of Jesus who said “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;” (Matthew 5:44.) Reading portion - Matthew 5:38-48.

      I understand and agree to the feeling you have towards the problem Christians are facing in India, especially in Orissa these days. You wrote “We as a Christian minority should join together for the right of our people.” Yes, I believe it is time we all stood up together against such oppressions. Instead of showing our muscles to others, we must show the love of Christ who lives within us.

      Up to a certain extent, we Christians are responsible for creating such an atmosphere or attitude towards us in India. With the street fighting, like we have in Kerala, by taking our problems in front of a non-believer etc. etc. we have made us look like any other ordinary people of this world. We keep forgetting the fact that we are members of the body of Christ and citizens of His Heavenly Kingdom. We celebrate Christmas, Easter, New Year etc. by DRINKING, eating and merry making, but never have a moment to say thank you Lord for keeping me safe, for all the blessings You gave me in the past year, for giving Your Son as an atonement for my sin, for the wonderful family, for the good neighbours, for the great country, its rulers etc. It has reached a state that more than remembering Christ, drinking and partying has become the main attraction of Christmas, Easter and New Year for Christians. I am not saying this is what was happening in Orissa, but was pointing generally to what is happening within our Christian community these days.

      Like you wrote “There is more to it than these denominations.” Let us join hands together and do it again. Let us change our habits and attitudes. Along with the protest/complaint we register with the authorities, we must start praying as well. Let us declare a day of fasting and prayer for all those who persecute us. Let us pray that they will have peace, happiness and abundance in their life and they will come to know Jesus Christ, the one and only living God. When they have all these, I am sure they will look at others with compassion and love and am sure our Lord will make it happen. Like the Bible says “Let us believe and pray” and it will come to pass.

      I take this opportunity to call up on all our Thirumeni’s & Achen’s of all churches, Elders & Pastors of all other denominations, prayer leaders and ordinary people to declare a day of fasting and prayer. Let us start from our small Keralam and I believe it will soon be taken up all over India and we will see the mighty move of God’s hand in our great country and in our lives.

      May God Bless Us All.
      Wish you all A CHRIST CENTERED CHRISTMAS & A BLESSED PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR

      All glory and honour to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
      Georgey
      ID#3084.
    • Sajy Thannikottu
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008
        Dear all

        This is a thought provoking message. We should come out of this
        group-ism and visualise things with a broader aspect. But
        unfortunately only very few people are there to extend their support.
        Others are blinded with orthodox-Jacobite fight, not bothered about
        their surroundings. Let anything happen our people will be happy if it
        is badly affecting the opposite faction. Then we will start debating
        on who is the most badly affected. This is very pathetic situation.
        How beautiful would it be if we could act as positive inspiration
        instead of negative inspiration

        It is unfortunate that there are people who want to see their own
        brother to be hurt though born of same father and mother.

        Sajy Thannikottu, kathmandu