Orissa ;Attack on Christmas eve .Two Christians shot at and injured.

  • Dr John Dayal
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2007
      From Dr John Dayal
      Member, national Integration Council,
      Government of India
      24th December 2007

      To The Prime Minister of India
      New Delhi
      By Fax/Email and Dispatch Carrier Copy to

      Chief Minister of Orissa, Bhuwaneshwar
      Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil
      Chairman National Minorities Commission
      Chairman, National Human Rights Commission

      Dear Prime Minister

      This is a most urgent appeal for your intervention to prevent further bloodshed of Christians in Orissa on the eve of Christmas.

      I have just got the following message from Church members in Orissa, specially from Father Rabby [Phone number 06849-249872] Two Christians have been shot and injured, many Christian shops destroyed and Christmas Pandal razed in the area of Bamunigham, District Kandhamal, Orissa on the eve of Christmas.

      I am told that one Lokhanand, a known fundamentalist political activist of the area, has been warning Christians not to celebrate Christmas in any way.

      Today he led a mob of over 100 persons, many of whom were armed with guns and sharp weapons, to attack the Christmas celebrations and prayers taking place in a Pandal set up in the area.

      The mob shot at the people, injuring two most critically. They destroyed shops and the Pandal. The people fear the worst. I implore you to urge the Chief Minister and the state authorities to act expeditiously to avert further tragedy.

      Thank you and God bless
      John Dayal