Christians in India

  • Philip Scaria
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2007
      Christians in India

      I am sure, this comment will be criticized for lack of my integrity to the core of our church. What I am trying to bring out to the attention of all our members is an article I read today in the Deepika and Manorama on line editions about the attack on Christian churches and institutions by Hindu extremists in Orissa.

      Dear brothers, we, the modern Christians, enjoyed the fruit of Indian
      secularism only because our forefathers have suffered enough to give us that name as “Christians”. There was a time when India was secular. I do not know if our country still is “Secular”. What is the difference between Pakistan and India? I read in some Indian newspapers that the Hindus in Pakistan as a minority have their rights limited. Are we any different? We as a Christian minority should join together for the right of our people.

      We may not see our limitations if we are only looking at our IOC and
      JSOC’s. There is more to it than these denominations, it is our survival! We have joined hands in all the difficult situations when Christians faced sufferings. Let us do that again!

      With the unprecedented majority win by Narendra Modi as the Chief Minister of Gujrat, the big bang victory for BJP, and eying towards a Prime Ministership of India, what is the future of minorities in India, especially of us, the Christians?

      Please, at least for the time being, let us forget about our in-fighting and look at the big picture. It is not our Puthen Kruz or Kottayam Aramanas. It is our lives and existence as Christians in India. We may not see these changes in Kerala in the immediate future. But, if we do not contemplate now, our future and that of our future generations will be in peril. PLEASE BE CHRISTIANS. Let us believe in our Lord whose birthday we celebrated a yesterday. Let us pray together for His Kingdom to come.

      Philip Scaria
      St. Peters Churh, Chicago
      Member ID: 0908
    • Georgey Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
        Dear Mr. Philip Scaria, I greet you in the name of Jesus who said “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;” (Matthew 5:44.) Reading portion - Matthew 5:38-48.

        I understand and agree to the feeling you have towards the problem Christians are facing in India, especially in Orissa these days. You wrote “We as a Christian minority should join together for the right of our people.” Yes, I believe it is time we all stood up together against such oppressions. Instead of showing our muscles to others, we must show the love of Christ who lives within us.

        Up to a certain extent, we Christians are responsible for creating such an atmosphere or attitude towards us in India. With the street fighting, like we have in Kerala, by taking our problems in front of a non-believer etc. etc. we have made us look like any other ordinary people of this world. We keep forgetting the fact that we are members of the body of Christ and citizens of His Heavenly Kingdom. We celebrate Christmas, Easter, New Year etc. by DRINKING, eating and merry making, but never have a moment to say thank you Lord for keeping me safe, for all the blessings You gave me in the past year, for giving Your Son as an atonement for my sin, for the wonderful family, for the good neighbours, for the great country, its rulers etc. It has reached a state that more than remembering Christ, drinking and partying has become the main attraction of Christmas, Easter and New Year for Christians. I am not saying this is what was happening in Orissa, but was pointing generally to what is happening within our Christian community these days.

        Like you wrote “There is more to it than these denominations.” Let us join hands together and do it again. Let us change our habits and attitudes. Along with the protest/complaint we register with the authorities, we must start praying as well. Let us declare a day of fasting and prayer for all those who persecute us. Let us pray that they will have peace, happiness and abundance in their life and they will come to know Jesus Christ, the one and only living God. When they have all these, I am sure they will look at others with compassion and love and am sure our Lord will make it happen. Like the Bible says “Let us believe and pray” and it will come to pass.

        I take this opportunity to call up on all our Thirumeni’s & Achen’s of all churches, Elders & Pastors of all other denominations, prayer leaders and ordinary people to declare a day of fasting and prayer. Let us start from our small Keralam and I believe it will soon be taken up all over India and we will see the mighty move of God’s hand in our great country and in our lives.

        May God Bless Us All.
        Wish you all A CHRIST CENTERED CHRISTMAS & A BLESSED PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR

        All glory and honour to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
        Georgey
        ID#3084.
      • Sajy Thannikottu
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008
          Dear all

          This is a thought provoking message. We should come out of this
          group-ism and visualise things with a broader aspect. But
          unfortunately only very few people are there to extend their support.
          Others are blinded with orthodox-Jacobite fight, not bothered about
          their surroundings. Let anything happen our people will be happy if it
          is badly affecting the opposite faction. Then we will start debating
          on who is the most badly affected. This is very pathetic situation.
          How beautiful would it be if we could act as positive inspiration
          instead of negative inspiration

          It is unfortunate that there are people who want to see their own
          brother to be hurt though born of same father and mother.

          Sajy Thannikottu, kathmandu