INVITATION from the MALANKARA VOICE News Group

  • Malankara Voice
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
      Invitation to enrol as a subscriber of the Malankara Voice
      News Bulletins

      Welcome to MALANKARA VOICE, the online news web site that publishes
      the latest events from the Malankara (Indian) Jacobite Syrian Orthodox
      Church. This web news bulletin, first launched in July 2001, is
      promoted by a group of Syriac Orthodox Christians from central Travancore
      and is now functioning under the banner ‘Malankara Voice News Group’.

      Those who wish to receive 'news bulletins' published in Malankara-Voice
      in your e-mail, please send a subscription request from the email address
      you wish to put on the list to: Malankara-Voice-subscribe@....
      The subscription process will be completed automatically.
      With Regards
      Moderators, Malankara Voice

      Our Online News Web Site : www.MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
      Malankara Voice News group at Yahoo:
    • Aji Thomas David
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
        Hi Mr. Thomas,

        This is really great..!!! and a very innovative idea. Hope everything
        goes well and our youngsters have a bright future. I really appreciate
        all who are behind this noble cause. I hope there won't be any
        discriminations, and the services can be availed equally by the
        Knanaya community & Non knanaya Jacobite community. Once again cheers
        to all..!!!

        In Christ
        Aji Thomas David
        Kadisa Church
        Kayamkulam
      • Fr. John Kunjukunju
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
          Dear Reji & members of the forum
          Aattached is the article desired for Sleeba perunal,
          Thanks,
          Johnachen

          The Cross

          September 14 is the feast of Holy Cross. There is special liturgy in Syria.
          We have none but Holy Eucharist. Queen Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine
          the Great of Rome, led an expedition to Jerusalem to find the cross on which
          Jesus Christ was crucified. By then the whole world forgot about Jesus’ cross
          and the place where it was abandoned. She, after great deal of effort and
          spending, finally located the spot. Jews connived with then Roman authorities
          and dumped Jesus’ cross in very deep pit so that it could never be found. They
          converted the area into landfill. Three centuries’ continuous waste- dump made
          the place a hillock. Foul stink, broken glasses, thorny plants, etc made it a
          haven for ravens where none dared to go. Helena’s persuasions to explore the
          area met with cold feet. The wise queen sprinkled gold power all over the area
          and declared rewards to those who collect the most. There was incredible rush
          to win the contest. The zealous gold-mongers cleared the area in short period.
          They unearthed the cross from over 300’ dept. There were three identical
          crosses. It was impossible to identify Jesus’ cross. A dead body stimulated to
          life when it touched one cross. Thus they ascertained the cross of Jesus and
          discarded others. She took the cross to Constantinople with great honor. The
          emperor lavishly constructed a church in Rome called, “Basilica
          Constantiniana.” He dedicated the cross in the “Church of Holy Sepulchre” on
          Sept. 14, 335. Muslim militants destroyed this most precious Christian relic
          during the infamous Crusades that ravished the Christendom in the thirteenth
          century.

          The queen had sound reason to undertake such a task. Maxentius, the neighboring
          king, declared war on Constantine. Constantine became deeply troubled and went
          to bed with a heavy heart, for Maxentius was tenfold stronger. That night
          Constantine saw a vision; sign of cross, of superimposed light in the sky. He
          heard a voice, “Carry this sign on the uniforms of the soldiers and you will
          win.” He could not fully comprehend the implication of the vision nonetheless,
          he obeyed it in letter and spirit and miraculously he won the war against his
          stronger foe. He became Emperor of Rome. He had no doubt that ‘Cross’ brought
          him victory. He soon believed and submitted to Jesus Christ who was hanged on
          the cross, dead buried and on the third day rose again. He became the first
          ever ruler to embrace Christianity. He made Christianity, till then a
          persecuted religion, the official religion of the empire. Heathen citizens
          became Christians, their priests became Christian priests and Heathen temples
          became Christian Churches. Persecutions came to a halt. Christianity for the
          first time after three centuries of its inception became a royal religion. The
          title, “Pontiff,” hither to assigned to heathen adviser to Roman Emperor
          shifted to the Bishop of Rome and he became first among the equals. Priesthood
          acquired symbols of royalty. Christians’ property rights were established.
          Sunday, the worship day of Christians became national holiday for the first
          time. In the transition what Christianity lost was its original fervor, vigor
          and chastity. Conversions were a necessity rather than willful choice.
          Christianity became a world religion and succumbed to egocentric power
          politics. So we can cite both good and evil consequences of famous “Edit of
          Milan” on June 15, 313 that made Christianity the state religion. But that is
          not my subject to now deal with.

          Capital punishment by hanging on tree was very ancient system of the orient.
          The hanged was considered accursed of God. The body should be removed from tree
          on the same day lest the land would be defiled, Deut 21:22-23. Murder,
          rebellion, robbery, treason, etc merited crucifixion. Crucifixion was favorite
          way of execution to Romans. It was the cruel most form of punishment. They
          inflicted it upon outside criminals and slaves. Roman citizens were exempted.
          Antiochus Epiphanus crucified many Jews who defied his decrees. Death in this
          case was most painful, violent and slowest. It usually took three to four days
          to die suffering from acute bleeding, pain, asphyxiation, hunger and thirst.
          Sedatives were given to reduce pain and legs were broken to hasten death. The
          soldiers did both to both thieves. Jesus refused to drink sedative, thus
          consciously bore pain in its full magnitude. Soldiers had to ascertain the
          death of victims before vacating the scene. The soldiers were surprised that
          Jesus died so fast. They did not break His legs but pierced His side to make
          sure He had died, John 19:34.

          St. Paul quoted Deuteronomy 21:23 and said that Jesus, by hanging on the tree
          became curse for us and thus removed the curse which was on us, Gal
          3:13. ‘Jehovah witness’ misinterpret word ‘tree’ and teach that Jesus was
          hanged on a single stem as if on a real tree. Risen Jesus showed disciples His
          hands with nail mark that removed their doubts about resurrection, John 20:20.
          Jesus stretched His hands horizontally to both sides, Col 2:14.
          Jesus was crucified according to Roman manner on a Latin cross
          (Crux Immissa)because it was not the Jews but the Roman soldiers who
          carried out judgement.

          Jesus carried the crossbeam. The upright beam was permanently fixed on the
          ground. The culprits were scourged, stripped naked, hands stretched and nailed
          on both sides and then lifted and fastened to the upright beam. Four nails were
          usually used. Rope tying was employed to support body weight and to prevent
          from wriggling loose. The culprits’ clothing went to soldiers, Mat 27:35.
          Criminal carried around his neck a placard inscribing the offense so that
          others could clearly see to the place of crucifixion and placed overhead after
          crucifixion. Roman crucifixion was in a nutshell in this form of according to
          various historical records. Therefore Jehovah witness’ teaching is erroneous.
          As in the case of the whole proceedings of indictment it is an absolute irony
          that the title “King of the Jews” which was placed overhead does not constitute
          an offence. Emperor Constantine abolished capital punishment of crucifixion.
          Certain people say that Jesus was killed on the cross and hence the cross is
          murder weapon and should not be venerated nor treated holy. The very idea that
          Jesus was killed on the cross is wrong. But for willful choice, to undergo
          death on the cross so that He ought to win over death and decay that so far
          reigned over mankind, to give everlasting life to humanity; no one could have
          imposed death on Him. He said, that legions would have come to save Him if He
          so desired, Mat 26:53. “I lay down my life that I may take it again. No one
          takes it from me, but I lay it down myself,” Joh 10:17-18. Something that He
          voluntarily chose could not be said as something mankind imposed upon Him. On
          the other hand He chose to remove the curse of the law by becoming curse. His
          passion, crucifixion and resurrection were fulfillment of redemption conceived
          even before all creations. Denial of this truth alleges that Christian faith is
          false and they are most miserable creatures guilty of relying on fiction and
          still live in sin, says St. Paul. Thus treating cross, as murder weapon is
          wholly absurd heresy.

          Next allegation is that it is idolatry to worship cross. The fact is that we
          worship crucified Christ not the cross-shaped wood. We venerate the cross
          because through cross we are redeemed. Literally, cross is not an idol. Idol is
          the image of any figure such as likeness of human, beast on earth, fowl in air,
          anything that creeps on ground, or fish in waters either carved or painted,
          Deut 4:16-18. The original Decalogue says “You shall not make graven image or
          likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath
          or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down nor serve them
          for I am the Lord your God”, Ex 20:4-5. The word “anything” would include
          angels, plants and leaves. Moses made two cherubs of gold and placed facing
          each other on the two ends of the mercy seat, Ex 37:7-9. Solomon’s temple had
          two cherubs; wings spread wall to wall of the Holy of Holies, made of olive and
          covered with gold. Cherubs were carved on the wall paneling, 1 K 6:29, 32, and
          35, 7:36. Many Israelites died of fiery serpents’ bite. God instructed Moses to
          make brass serpent and post in on a pole in the center of the tent. Moses so
          did and those who looked on the brass serpent were saved. These are exceptions
          to the law of idolatry. Literally, cross has no likeness of any natural object
          and hence it is outside the purview of idol or idolatry. Theologically,
          anything such as, money, possession, beauty, fame, interest, authority or that
          is given more importance than God is idol.

          The Cross has cosmic dimension that it is sign of Christ’s universal dominion.
          It represents vertical relation between God and humanity and horizontal
          relation between people. Geographically, it stands in the center of universe;
          its ends extend infinitely to four corner of the universe and brings to
          subjection “The breadth, length, hight and depth of the creations, Eph 3:18. It
          stands in the center of the human history and thus culminates its dominion to
          the past present and the future. Church prohibits iconographic portrayal of
          nude, dead Christ on the crucifix as opposed to the dereliction of west. Church
          prohibits use of graven image on the cross.

          Cross represents supreme and divine love of suffering and self-renunciation.
          Jesus laid down a hard condition to follow him that is to take up ones’ cross,
          Mat 10:38, 16:24, Mk 8:34, Lk 9:23. In other words, it is impossible to follow
          Jesus without first denying self. One has to be prepared to loose ones life,
          relations and belonging. Nothing less than the total abnegation is acceptable.
          Cross is nonsense to those who perish but power to those who are saved says St
          Paul. For this reason he felt that preaching in polished language deprives the
          value of cross, 1 Cor 1:17, 18, 23. He boasted only in cross, Gal 6:14. St.
          Peter out of reverence opted to be crucified upside down. Cross is symbol of
          unity between Jews and Gentiles, Eph 2:16. Cross is symbol of overcoming
          sensual desires because those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh.
          Cross is the symbol of reconciliation for, God the father absolved the mankind
          of their inequities by imputing all crimes on Jesus and nailing it to the
          cross. Cross is the symbol of victory over sin, Satan and death because Jesus
          nailed them on the cross and came out victorious. Cross is the symbol of saving
          grace of God for; Jesus’ death and resurrection brought redemption and eternal
          life to mankind.

          Tradition has that Apostles carried wooden cross. St. Thomas carried wooden
          cross in hand and also tied around neck. He grouted wooden cross wherever he
          founded a church. Malayattur remains a living testimony. The Pilgrim Fathers,
          it is said brought with them a seven foot-high wooden cross with them. First
          they did soon after landing was fastening it to the ground with a prayer
          dedicating this land to God.
          Fr. John KK
        • SOCM
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
            Dear Members of SOCM,
            His Holiness Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka I Iwas is entering into his 23rd
            year of Patriarchal reign.

            On September 14, 1980, H.H was consecrated as the Patriarch of Antioch by
            name Ignatius Zakka I, in a rite officiated by Catholicos of the East,
            Mor Baselius Paulos II of blessed memory along with the archbishops of
            the Holy Synod.

            Let us, the members of SOCM, pray that God grant H.H. good health , strength
            and wisdom to lead the members of The Universal Syriac Orthodox Church for many
            more years to come.
            http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/PZakka1/index.html

            With praises & thanks to the Lord God
            Forum Moderators
          • Dn. Zacharia Varghese
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
              Dear All,

              Thank you for maintaining this vigorous forum airing the views of our
              faithful. I have enjoyed reading questions and responses. I hope that
              as we celebrate the aniversary of the enthronement of our Patriarch,
              we can remember our duty to advocate the Mother Church´s truths.

              Sincerely,
              Dn. Zacharia Varghese
              Dallas, TX
            • V Thomas
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                Dear All,
                I have come across this case Mr.Manoj is referring.What I have heard
                is the priest went through Roof,and followed by bishop.When catholicose
                tries to enter through window,no wonder Bishops follow suit.The Malayalam
                saying is correct'like king his subjects"!

                But Bible is clear- those who enter through back door is none but thief.
                Love
                V.M. Thomas
              • Malankara Voice
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                  1. 22nd Anniversary of the Coronation of the Patriarch of Antioch
                  and all the East
                  http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Patriarch.htm

                  2. "Methran faction's attack on Majanikkara Dayaro, most unfortunate"
                  - Viswasa Samathi

                  http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Majanikkara_Dayaro_3.htm
                  More Links available at:- http://www.malankaravoice.cjb.net
                  http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/news_section_1.htm
                • Dr. Daniel Babu Paul
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                    The Cross is gallows transformed into symbol of grace. The Sleeba
                    Perunal was probably observed from the 4th century itself, although
                    modern scholars do not attach critical significance to the Helena
                    story.This is an occasion for us to contemplate on the Cross.

                    Christ asked us to follow him carrying our cross. Many sermons have
                    been preached on this "our cross". However the system of execution
                    would explain what our Lord meant. The one who carries his cross to
                    the place of execution has no freedom except what is granted by the
                    Centurion; no address except the gypsom board on which he and his
                    crime( read biodata or Cv in modern terms) would be recorded. He
                    cannot even complain that he is tired, or that the Cross he is given
                    is heavier. that is total surrender. Christ demands that kind of
                    surrender, to be made voluntarily, by his followers.

                    Any one hanged on a tree was deemed accursed.Therefore according to
                    Law Jesus is accursed.Whoever is accursed by the Law is exiled from
                    it. Whoever is exiled is no longer under the Law.We who follow Him
                    are also likewise free from the Law. This is the Pauline explanation
                    of the significance of the Cross as explained by Everett.

                    For John Cross is the symbol of God's glory. The new Brazen Serpent.
                    Look to Him and be saved. John 19:37 with Numbers 21: 49.John's
                    Gospel shows the journey to Calvary as the victory march of a
                    victorious emperor.

                    The Cross is gallows. It needs a prey. Either we can offer ourselves
                    as prey and be rid of sins i.e. crucify the world, or we can crucify
                    Christ again.

                    The making of the sign of the cross began in the 2nd century itself,
                    mostly as a private affair since church was still underground. The
                    public symbol was either fish or dove, mostly fish because ICHTHYS
                    means fish and can also be an acronym for Iesus Christos Theou Huios
                    Soter, viz. Jesus Christ, son of God, Redeemer. It finally became the
                    central smbol because, " Its two bars were already a cosmic symbol
                    from remote antiquity of the axis between heaven and earth. But its
                    choice by Christians had a more specific explanation. They wished to
                    commemmorate as central to their understanding of Jesus ".

                    Ancient Christians in India used many forms. Please see either
                    Dr. Nangachiveetil's book or my VEDASABDARATNAKARAM. The latter also
                    tries to connect the Cross to a verse in Mundakopanishad.

                    Let us meditate this week on John 19:37.
                    TOTUS TUUS MARIA
                  • Mathew Idichandi
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                      Hello All,

                      Please clarify one doubt of mine.A friend of mine
                      recently told me that our bava has only formal
                      education of fourth standard.Is it true?
                      I sincerely need a response to clarify my doubtsand
                      stand up against the people who dont respect him.
                      Thanks,
                      Alappurathu Idichandy Mathew
                      My parish:Manjinikkara
                      residence:Alapurath house,Omallur,
                      Pathanamthitta.Kerala
                    • Ashley S. Chinnan
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                        Hello!

                        My name is Ashley Chinnan and a friend of mine joined me to the
                        Forum few months ago. Initially, I was a little bit skeptical about the
                        forum because I thought it mainly dealt with political issues. But as I
                        have been reading all the messages, I must say that I'm glad that my
                        friend joined me in the forum. I'm a Sunday school teacher at St. Mary's
                        Jacobite church in Lynbrook, New York, and I find many useful topics that
                        I could discuss with my students from the forum. Not only do I find
                        useful discussion topics, I 've learned so much about our church's
                        history and why we do the certain things that we do.
                        Thank you and please continue to enlighten me.
                      • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayi
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                          My dear and most beloved in our Lord and God,

                          I write this to inform you that I am entering into the 25th year of my
                          priestly ordination on 17th September 2002. I was ordained as a priest by
                          the late lamented Mor Gregoriose Geevarghese Metropolitan at St. Adai's
                          Church Nalunnakkal along with Rev.Fr.Mathews Edathara, Augusta Georgia, USA
                          and Rev.Fr. Geevarghese Thekkanathu, Thrikkothamangalam.

                          I praise the Lord Almighty for all the blessings I had to work in the
                          vineyard of our Lord. Now when I look back I think I had crossed the great
                          part in my life with much blessings and profound gifts from my Lord.
                          I have been blessed by the prayers and supports of my friends and relatives
                          all through my way. I got the full support of my co workers wherever I was
                          posted. The achivements I have made are mainly through these blessings and
                          cooperations. I thank them all. I thank all my close associates for the
                          genorous support and encouragements in my griefs and sorrows.

                          I thank my parents and family members for the love and care given to me to
                          support my ministry.

                          I remember my beloved Spiritual fathers and teachers who showed me the way
                          to the Lord. I am indebted to the members of the Syrian Orthodox Church who
                          loved me and helped me in all ways in my travels in India and elsewhere and
                          the supports given to the projects I had been focussing at different times.

                          I am thankful to the prelates and the leaders of the church for assaigning
                          me different positions in the church in addition to the priestly offices in
                          the past 24 years and more.

                          I thank God for all the blessings.
                          Please pray for me and bless me,

                          BLESS MY LORD, IN THE SERVICE OF OUR LORD.
                          Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil

                          ----------------------
                          From the desk of Moderators:
                          On behalf of the members of the SOCM, we congratulate you on this occasion.
                          We pray that God bless him abundantly with good health and energy so that
                          he can continue to serve the Church for many more years to come
                        • Jacob V. Joshua
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                            Respected Rev. fathers and dear friends,

                            Are we true followers of the Son of Man, who had no property or a place to
                            rest His head although the birds have nests and snakes have wholes to take
                            rest ?

                            Is there nobody amongst the so called elite and powerful faction owing
                            allegiance to the Kottayam/Devalokam faction of the Malankara Syrian
                            Orthodox Church to give advice or wisdom to their confused leadership?
                            Or they want to watch and enjoy the street fights (even with the dead
                            bodies) and troubles erupted in the Malankara Church just to capture
                            other's properties ? Does it not resemble the Emperor Nero, who was
                            enjoying and celebrating in his palace when Rome was burning ? It seems
                            that the Kottayam leadership have been sent to this earth to acquire
                            properties of others and give accounts to somewhere/someone they only know.

                            No court has so far declared that all the parishes of the Malankara Church
                            belong to any group or faction or methran or bawa or priest or anybody in
                            this world. The parish belongs to the God Almighty and its day to day care
                            has to be undertaken by the faithful who go and attend there.

                            Instead "Samaraahwanam", political threats, backstabbing, stone throwing,
                            planned attacks on the holy places, cunning and manipulated actions to
                            take control of the churches, goondaism by the reverend priests, etc.,
                            etc. shall not find any end to this man-made conflict in the Holy Church.
                            It is heard that some film producers and directors have taken keen
                            interest to make a good commercial film on these 'Christianities' and they
                            are hopeful to make good profit without much investments. The so called
                            "model Christians" are available in plenty and they will be happy to act
                            in such a film without any monetary benefit.

                            One must understand that the Patriarch of Antioch & All the East was very
                            much willing to have peace in the Malankara Church and that was the only
                            reason that His Holiness did not ordain any Catholicos for the Malankara
                            Church after the demise of the Late Catholicos His Beatitude Aabun Mor
                            Basalious Paulose II on Sept.1, 1996.

                            Everybody waited till 26th July 2002 for the return of the Catholicos to
                            the main stream of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church. The Catholicos
                            was willing to accept the Patriarch as Supreme Spiritual Head of the
                            Church, but some vested people did not allow him to do so. Therefore the
                            conflict continued. Now the Jacobite faction has got the Patriarch
                            (Supreme Head of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church), Catholicose (local
                            head of the Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, which is a part of
                            the Universal Church) ordained by the Patriarch as stipulated in the Sabha
                            Constitution), Malankara Syrian Chrisitian Association, Constitution, etc.
                            and become a full pledged Church as envisaged by the early fathers of the
                            Church. The Supreme Court Judgement also confirms that a true Church should
                            have all the above mentioned offices of Spiritual authorities in a Church.

                            Let us pray to God that the divine peace may prevail upon our Church and
                            the God Almighty may give all of us enough patience and strength to forgive
                            and forget the misdeeds comitted by all of us.

                            Yours in Christ,
                            Jacob V. Joshua
                            New Delhi
                          • dooley1112
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                              Sometime back a brother stated that Mor Osthathios a senior
                              Metropolitan of the Malankara Church reportedly venerated and prayed
                              by a statute of the Blessed Mother.

                              I posted back requesting a picture and article no one gave one...I
                              once again request the picture and article...and to please stop
                              denying the truth and creating false rumors!
                              -----------------------------
                              From the desk of Moderators
                              Mr. Dooly, we clarified your point along with post. Please go to our
                              photo section "Clarifications" their you can view the picture. As we requested
                              earlier, please disclose your identity in your future postings.
                            • Thomas Daniel
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 16, 2002
                                Dear Mr. Idichandy,
                                What your friend told you is fully correct. Please inform your
                                friend, H.B was working as an "ANJALOTTAKKARAN" (hope your friend
                                know the meaning of this word) and as "NEWS PAPER BOY" too to support
                                his family before he becomes the priest of Malankara Church.

                                We should be proud of our BAVA and church. In our church worldly
                                education is not counted for elevating someone for the priesthood.
                                Once a layman elevated as priest, then he can become the Catholicose
                                or Patriarch of our church if the Almighty choose him. You might know
                                that the majority of the Apostles were not even having any basic
                                education. Still they were called to that position by the Lord God.
                                In our Church, we believe that the same sprit is called anyone for
                                the priesthood.

                                Now regarding the H.B Baselious Thomas I, his worldly education is
                                nothing, but his spiritual education is much more than anyone in
                                Malankara which can't be measured by any University or law of the
                                land.

                                As you know, he was a very famous convention speaker. And he was in
                                very demand also, when he was just merely a priest. He was a regular
                                speaker in "Nilakkal Convention" conducted by Nilackal Indian
                                Orthodox Church, Puthuppally, Kottayam which was witnessed me many
                                times along with many of IOC members.

                                Also he was very good organizer, none from Malankara can deny his
                                efforts and hard work to build the Kolanchery Mission Hospital.

                                From the day he started opposing the IOC and their modern teachings,
                                he become an untouchable to them. When he is elevated as the
                                Catholicose their untouchability increased and they started doubting
                                his wordily education.

                                But we are proud of him. He is leading us through the true path of
                                our forefathers and struggling and accepting all sort of humiliation
                                & harassments to keep the Holy Church grow through the true path.

                                May the almighty, who choose him as Catholicose, will strengthen him
                                in his rest of the life.

                                In our Lords Love
                                Thomas Daniel
                                Cheppaud