A Blessed Christmas - 2007 and a Happy and prosperous New Year - 2008.

  • Rev. Fr. Mathai Varkey Puthukkunnathu
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2007
      The sublime nature of celebrating the Divine Nativity of Christ, our
      Savior is related to one's response to the Blessed Child born in
      Bethlehem 2000 years ago. The response of the innkeeper is relevant
      in contemporary times; when Joseph and Virgin Mary wanted to find a
      room where the Heavenly Child could be born. He was not unfriendly,
      but his inn was packed, his hands were full, his mind was
      preoccupied.

      This is the answer that brings forth, even by Christians today. Like
      the innkeeper in Bethlehem, we cannot find room for Christ. All the
      accommodations in our hearts are already taken up by other crowding
      interests. The response is neither atheism nor defiance. It is
      preoccupation and the feeling of being able to get on reasonably
      well without Christianity.

      But the response of The Magi – the Wise Men – through their
      suffering for the Christ Child is the perfect laudable example of
      accepting the Savior. It is imperative that we keep Christ and His
      interest in our Christmas Celebrations.

      With the benediction from His Eminence Archbishop Mor Titus Yeldho,
      on behalf of the Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church
      in North America, my humble self wish all the esteemed readers of
      SOCM Forum, a Blessed Christmas - 2007 and a Happy and prosperous
      New Year - 2008.

      May God bless us all and the Holy Church.

      Fr. Mathai Varkey Puthukkunnathu

      Archdiocesan Secretary,
      Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox
      Church in North America
      Vicar,
      St. Ignatius Elias III Syrian Orthodox Church, Atlanta,
      Georgia.