The Wealth Syndrom

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2007
      The wealth syndrome

      " >>> It is not easy to be rich, but being rich can be boring. As
      Wall Street Journal columnist Robert Frank commented in his recent
      post "Wealth Fatigue Syndrome":

      "For the super-rich, houses, yachts, cars and planes are like new
      toys that they play with for five minutes and then lose interest in,"
      a psychoanalyst named Manfred Kets de Vries says in the article.[
      published in daily telegraph dated 11-13-2007] "Pretty soon, to
      attain the same buzz they have to spend more money. All the spending
      is a mad attempt to cover up boredom and depression."

      He adds that when someone has and spends so much money, "Feeling any
      sort of excitement means taking more and more risks, financially and
      physically."

      Money, in other words, is like a drug; the more you have, the more
      you need to get a buzz. When a first-class plane ticket no longer
      satisfies, today's wealthy board private jets. When that feels
      common, they buy a private jumbo jet. And so on. >>>>>

      In my view this is a relative phenomenon. We ordinary ( relative to them, but rich relative to the poor) folks also does the same things out of boredom like
      1) Every couple of months, our wardrobes are becoming too small to store our clothing. ( we do a lot of shopping than we need).

      2) We regularly try to find new spaces for our son's toys. Keep
      buying all kinds of toys to our children not because they need it
      all, but because we have money and bored!

      3) We eat out a lot more, and at finer restaurants. When we eat at
      home, we have our in-house maid/chef cook all the time.

      4) If you are in an apartment ( or flat) , buy a house. If you are
      in house buy a bigger one. Or else you can keep changing carpet,
      OR replace equipments or make it more perfect.

      5) We keep "upgrading" our cars with newer ones or expensive ones
      for fun.

      6) You could go to a mall and spend or go cruse or travel to exotic places or gamble for "fun"

      Thus we create "fun" (or 'cool') in life by spending money, because
      we are bored with `money"? And yet we call ourselves disciples of
      Christ who taught the `fun' should in Him for obeying Him and
      loving Him by doing what He taught.

      Somewhere in our life we forgot what Lord taught our life should
      be!

      Paul