Knanaya Church draws up innovative education scheme

  • SOCM
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 11, 2002
      Knanaya Church draws up innovative education scheme
      KOTTAYAM: The Knanaya Education & Career Guidance Centre has drawn up
      plans for providing higher education with the slogan, �one graduate
      in every family and employment for every graduate".

      Abraham Mar Clemis, supreme head of the Knanaya Jacobite Church and
      the longest serving metropolitan in the country, is the architect of the
      innovative programme.

      The centre will compile data about high school, higher secondary and degree
      level students and record their tastes with regard to professional education
      and jobs. Orientation classes and career awareness programmes will be
      conducted and career guidance libraries will be set up, said Chirayil
      Kuraikose Cor Episcopa, Fr Joseph Abraham and Fr Mathew Kallolikkal and
      others.
      www.newindpress.com
      12th September 2002
      http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?
      ID==IER20020911153001&Title==Kerala&rLink==0
    • SOCM
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 12, 2002
        Malankara Church case in the division bench of the Kerala High Court,
        headed by Chief Justice B.N. Sreekrishna and Justice C N Ramachandran
        Nair, argument will come up for further hearing on September 19.

        Today senior advocate of the Indian Supreme court C.S Vidyanadan
        completed the argument for the Jacobites and Advocate K.N Butt
        started arguments for Indian Orthodox. Once again advocate general of
        Kerala M. Rathan Sing submitted the court that the state government
        would remain neutral in the ongoing dispute and the prime concern of
        the government is keep law and order in the state and since the
        matter has been seized of by the court, the Government would enforce
        any order that might be passed by the court.
      • Malankara Voice
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 12, 2002
          1. "We will mediate if both parties agree" - Chief Minister /
          Jacobites Syrian Church welcomed the peace initiative
          http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Manngalam_12_Sep_02.htm

          2. Government tells High Court it won’t be partisan --- High Court
          postponed the hearing of Church case to 19th
          http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Ind_Express_12_Sep_02.htm

          3."Mar Mathews II has no right to criticize the Jacobite Christians"
          {Source:- Mangalam daily}
          http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Mangalam_11_sep_02.htm

          To read more click below
          http://www.malankaravoice.cjb.net
          http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/news_section_1.htm
        • Thomas P
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 12, 2002
            Dear All, I never used the word "Jihaadi" in my original article.
            I was asking the question, how majority opinion in Kashmir became
            that of those who infiltrated to kashmir? Today they claim
            independence based on majority opinion in Kashmir.
            Thomas
          • Anil A
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 12, 2002
              Hello Everybody,
              I'm Anil Abraham Kuriakose,belongs to Manarcad St:Mary's Church.
              I am presently working with Hewlett-Packard Bangalore as an Engineer.
              Best Regards,
              Anil Abraham.
            • Sajeev Abraham
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
                Hello Everybody,
                My name is Sajeev Kavumkal. I am a member of St. Thomas Syrian Knanaya
                Church in Clifton, Jersey. I found this discussion forum very
                interesting and informative. And I think through this discussion the
                members of this forum can understnd more about our Syrian Orthodox faith
                and keep up our faith in H.H. Zakka Iwas, the supream head of Universal
                Syrian Orthodox church.

                Remember, in Bible it is clearly written that the first church(sabha)
                was started in antiaoch and we are an integral part of that church.
                So our Lord will not allow anybody to distroy it.
                Keep up the good work.
                Sajeev.
              • Manoj George
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
                  I really cannot understand how anyone in their right
                  senses can endorse the actions of the Devalokam
                  Group. I am not refering only to the recent incidents
                  but right from early 1900 's. There have been
                  enough instances in the Malankara Sabha history in
                  this century to prove that this group have no
                  inhibitions about going to any extent to aquire the
                  churches and other temporal assets of the Orthodox
                  Church. Let me give an example. I belong to the Syrian
                  Orthodox community which migrated to
                  the state of Karnataka in the early 50's.
                  Predominantly we are settled in the South Canara and
                  Chickmagalore
                  districts. We come under the perviewe of The
                  Evangilical Association of the East which is under the
                  direct
                  Jurisdiction of the Patriarchate. We have 14 churches
                  and 5 chapels which have been built only
                  because of the sincere efforts of the people and the
                  Blessings of God. I write this because the
                  people living in these areas are not financially
                  strong but in spite of this we have been able to build
                  places of worship largely due to the strong leadership
                  given by the clergy in these areas.
                  The incident I am refering to happened in St.George
                  Church, Narasimharajapura which is the largest parish
                  in Karnataka with over 400 families. This church has 5
                  chapels. Recently in one of the chapels there came up
                  issue which was purely an internal one and a very
                  small group of about 10 people turned against the
                  Vicar who
                  is my Grandfather. As usual and with tactics known
                  only to them the Devalokam group brought this small
                  group under their influence and took up the issue. The
                  result was an issue which was a very minute one was
                  blown
                  out of proportions and a case was filed in the court
                  for the possession of the Chapel. I dont want to
                  elaborate the
                  details of the unchristian methods with which they
                  tried to take possession of the church but I want to
                  write about
                  one particular incident which shows that they can go
                  to any extent to establish their claim.In order to
                  show in the
                  court that the chapel actually belonged to them and
                  that we were occupying the Chapel unlawfully, they
                  produced
                  a few photographs in the court. These were photographs
                  of the Devalokam Priest (?) offering H.Qurbana in this
                  chapel.
                  And beleive me, these photographs were taken in the
                  most cunning way only this particular group can do.
                  All the doors of the chapel were bolted from inside
                  and only the main door was locked from outside. What
                  they did
                  was one of these people got inside the chapel through
                  the roof and opened the door for the Priest (?). And
                  he put on the
                  'Kappa' and posed for the photographs. Can anyone
                  think of a more cunning way to do it?
                  This is the tradition of the Devalokam group and
                  proves that anyone in their right sense of mind can
                  never ever endorse
                  the actions of this group.

                  Regards
                  Manoj George
                • Malankara Voice
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
                    Invitation to enrol as a subscriber of the Malankara Voice
                    News Bulletins

                    Welcome to MALANKARA VOICE, the online news web site that publishes
                    the latest events from the Malankara (Indian) Jacobite Syrian Orthodox
                    Church. This web news bulletin, first launched in July 2001, is
                    promoted by a group of Syriac Orthodox Christians from central Travancore
                    and is now functioning under the banner ‘Malankara Voice News Group’.

                    Those who wish to receive 'news bulletins' published in Malankara-Voice
                    in your e-mail, please send a subscription request from the email address
                    you wish to put on the list to: Malankara-Voice-subscribe@....
                    The subscription process will be completed automatically.
                    With Regards
                    Moderators, Malankara Voice

                    Our Online News Web Site : www.MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
                    Malankara Voice News group at Yahoo:
                  • Varghese George
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002

                      Name : George Varghesse
                      Address : Mannakuzhiyil House
                      : Thadiyoor P.O.
                      Pathanamthitta dist.

                      Home Parish : Mar Ignathiose Jacobite Syrian Church, Ayroor
                      Thumpamon Diocese

                      Presently working in Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University and is
                      a member of St. George Universal Syrian Orthodox Church - Kuwait.

                      I am happy only to give any further details if needed.
                    • Thomas Daniel
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
                        2002.09.11 Daily Star:
                        Orthodox youth end gathering with networking plan

                        Some 30 young people representing the Coptic, Syrian and Armenian Orthodox
                        Churches in the Middle East concluded their three-day gathering held in
                        Bikfaya to analyze the common challenges facing the youth.
                        According to a statement issued Tuesday, the gathering was held under the
                        theme of the First Orthodox Youth Gathering.

                        Participants had the opportunity to pray together and learn the history of
                        their respective churches. During the plenary sessions, participants
                        discussed the challenges of the era and the networking of the Orthodox
                        Youth.

                        In their final session, participants issued a list of resolutions
                        stipulating the establishment of an interactive e-mail group, the
                        preparation of a website for the Orthodox Youth, the publication of a
                        newsletter for the gathering and the organization of the Annual Day of
                        Prayer and Celebration for the gathering.

                        The statement also said that a Second Orthodox Youth Gathering would be
                        held between Sept. 5-9, 2003 in Egypt.

                        Thomas Daniel
                        St. George Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church (Cheriya Pally)
                        Cheppaud
                      • Aji Thomas David
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                          Hi Mr. Thomas,

                          This is really great..!!! and a very innovative idea. Hope everything
                          goes well and our youngsters have a bright future. I really appreciate
                          all who are behind this noble cause. I hope there won't be any
                          discriminations, and the services can be availed equally by the
                          Knanaya community & Non knanaya Jacobite community. Once again cheers
                          to all..!!!

                          In Christ
                          Aji Thomas David
                          Kadisa Church
                          Kayamkulam
                        • Fr. John Kunjukunju
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                            Dear Reji & members of the forum
                            Aattached is the article desired for Sleeba perunal,
                            Thanks,
                            Johnachen

                            The Cross

                            September 14 is the feast of Holy Cross. There is special liturgy in Syria.
                            We have none but Holy Eucharist. Queen Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine
                            the Great of Rome, led an expedition to Jerusalem to find the cross on which
                            Jesus Christ was crucified. By then the whole world forgot about Jesus’ cross
                            and the place where it was abandoned. She, after great deal of effort and
                            spending, finally located the spot. Jews connived with then Roman authorities
                            and dumped Jesus’ cross in very deep pit so that it could never be found. They
                            converted the area into landfill. Three centuries’ continuous waste- dump made
                            the place a hillock. Foul stink, broken glasses, thorny plants, etc made it a
                            haven for ravens where none dared to go. Helena’s persuasions to explore the
                            area met with cold feet. The wise queen sprinkled gold power all over the area
                            and declared rewards to those who collect the most. There was incredible rush
                            to win the contest. The zealous gold-mongers cleared the area in short period.
                            They unearthed the cross from over 300’ dept. There were three identical
                            crosses. It was impossible to identify Jesus’ cross. A dead body stimulated to
                            life when it touched one cross. Thus they ascertained the cross of Jesus and
                            discarded others. She took the cross to Constantinople with great honor. The
                            emperor lavishly constructed a church in Rome called, “Basilica
                            Constantiniana.” He dedicated the cross in the “Church of Holy Sepulchre” on
                            Sept. 14, 335. Muslim militants destroyed this most precious Christian relic
                            during the infamous Crusades that ravished the Christendom in the thirteenth
                            century.

                            The queen had sound reason to undertake such a task. Maxentius, the neighboring
                            king, declared war on Constantine. Constantine became deeply troubled and went
                            to bed with a heavy heart, for Maxentius was tenfold stronger. That night
                            Constantine saw a vision; sign of cross, of superimposed light in the sky. He
                            heard a voice, “Carry this sign on the uniforms of the soldiers and you will
                            win.” He could not fully comprehend the implication of the vision nonetheless,
                            he obeyed it in letter and spirit and miraculously he won the war against his
                            stronger foe. He became Emperor of Rome. He had no doubt that ‘Cross’ brought
                            him victory. He soon believed and submitted to Jesus Christ who was hanged on
                            the cross, dead buried and on the third day rose again. He became the first
                            ever ruler to embrace Christianity. He made Christianity, till then a
                            persecuted religion, the official religion of the empire. Heathen citizens
                            became Christians, their priests became Christian priests and Heathen temples
                            became Christian Churches. Persecutions came to a halt. Christianity for the
                            first time after three centuries of its inception became a royal religion. The
                            title, “Pontiff,” hither to assigned to heathen adviser to Roman Emperor
                            shifted to the Bishop of Rome and he became first among the equals. Priesthood
                            acquired symbols of royalty. Christians’ property rights were established.
                            Sunday, the worship day of Christians became national holiday for the first
                            time. In the transition what Christianity lost was its original fervor, vigor
                            and chastity. Conversions were a necessity rather than willful choice.
                            Christianity became a world religion and succumbed to egocentric power
                            politics. So we can cite both good and evil consequences of famous “Edit of
                            Milan” on June 15, 313 that made Christianity the state religion. But that is
                            not my subject to now deal with.

                            Capital punishment by hanging on tree was very ancient system of the orient.
                            The hanged was considered accursed of God. The body should be removed from tree
                            on the same day lest the land would be defiled, Deut 21:22-23. Murder,
                            rebellion, robbery, treason, etc merited crucifixion. Crucifixion was favorite
                            way of execution to Romans. It was the cruel most form of punishment. They
                            inflicted it upon outside criminals and slaves. Roman citizens were exempted.
                            Antiochus Epiphanus crucified many Jews who defied his decrees. Death in this
                            case was most painful, violent and slowest. It usually took three to four days
                            to die suffering from acute bleeding, pain, asphyxiation, hunger and thirst.
                            Sedatives were given to reduce pain and legs were broken to hasten death. The
                            soldiers did both to both thieves. Jesus refused to drink sedative, thus
                            consciously bore pain in its full magnitude. Soldiers had to ascertain the
                            death of victims before vacating the scene. The soldiers were surprised that
                            Jesus died so fast. They did not break His legs but pierced His side to make
                            sure He had died, John 19:34.

                            St. Paul quoted Deuteronomy 21:23 and said that Jesus, by hanging on the tree
                            became curse for us and thus removed the curse which was on us, Gal
                            3:13. ‘Jehovah witness’ misinterpret word ‘tree’ and teach that Jesus was
                            hanged on a single stem as if on a real tree. Risen Jesus showed disciples His
                            hands with nail mark that removed their doubts about resurrection, John 20:20.
                            Jesus stretched His hands horizontally to both sides, Col 2:14.
                            Jesus was crucified according to Roman manner on a Latin cross
                            (Crux Immissa)because it was not the Jews but the Roman soldiers who
                            carried out judgement.

                            Jesus carried the crossbeam. The upright beam was permanently fixed on the
                            ground. The culprits were scourged, stripped naked, hands stretched and nailed
                            on both sides and then lifted and fastened to the upright beam. Four nails were
                            usually used. Rope tying was employed to support body weight and to prevent
                            from wriggling loose. The culprits’ clothing went to soldiers, Mat 27:35.
                            Criminal carried around his neck a placard inscribing the offense so that
                            others could clearly see to the place of crucifixion and placed overhead after
                            crucifixion. Roman crucifixion was in a nutshell in this form of according to
                            various historical records. Therefore Jehovah witness’ teaching is erroneous.
                            As in the case of the whole proceedings of indictment it is an absolute irony
                            that the title “King of the Jews” which was placed overhead does not constitute
                            an offence. Emperor Constantine abolished capital punishment of crucifixion.
                            Certain people say that Jesus was killed on the cross and hence the cross is
                            murder weapon and should not be venerated nor treated holy. The very idea that
                            Jesus was killed on the cross is wrong. But for willful choice, to undergo
                            death on the cross so that He ought to win over death and decay that so far
                            reigned over mankind, to give everlasting life to humanity; no one could have
                            imposed death on Him. He said, that legions would have come to save Him if He
                            so desired, Mat 26:53. “I lay down my life that I may take it again. No one
                            takes it from me, but I lay it down myself,” Joh 10:17-18. Something that He
                            voluntarily chose could not be said as something mankind imposed upon Him. On
                            the other hand He chose to remove the curse of the law by becoming curse. His
                            passion, crucifixion and resurrection were fulfillment of redemption conceived
                            even before all creations. Denial of this truth alleges that Christian faith is
                            false and they are most miserable creatures guilty of relying on fiction and
                            still live in sin, says St. Paul. Thus treating cross, as murder weapon is
                            wholly absurd heresy.

                            Next allegation is that it is idolatry to worship cross. The fact is that we
                            worship crucified Christ not the cross-shaped wood. We venerate the cross
                            because through cross we are redeemed. Literally, cross is not an idol. Idol is
                            the image of any figure such as likeness of human, beast on earth, fowl in air,
                            anything that creeps on ground, or fish in waters either carved or painted,
                            Deut 4:16-18. The original Decalogue says “You shall not make graven image or
                            likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath
                            or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down nor serve them
                            for I am the Lord your God”, Ex 20:4-5. The word “anything” would include
                            angels, plants and leaves. Moses made two cherubs of gold and placed facing
                            each other on the two ends of the mercy seat, Ex 37:7-9. Solomon’s temple had
                            two cherubs; wings spread wall to wall of the Holy of Holies, made of olive and
                            covered with gold. Cherubs were carved on the wall paneling, 1 K 6:29, 32, and
                            35, 7:36. Many Israelites died of fiery serpents’ bite. God instructed Moses to
                            make brass serpent and post in on a pole in the center of the tent. Moses so
                            did and those who looked on the brass serpent were saved. These are exceptions
                            to the law of idolatry. Literally, cross has no likeness of any natural object
                            and hence it is outside the purview of idol or idolatry. Theologically,
                            anything such as, money, possession, beauty, fame, interest, authority or that
                            is given more importance than God is idol.

                            The Cross has cosmic dimension that it is sign of Christ’s universal dominion.
                            It represents vertical relation between God and humanity and horizontal
                            relation between people. Geographically, it stands in the center of universe;
                            its ends extend infinitely to four corner of the universe and brings to
                            subjection “The breadth, length, hight and depth of the creations, Eph 3:18. It
                            stands in the center of the human history and thus culminates its dominion to
                            the past present and the future. Church prohibits iconographic portrayal of
                            nude, dead Christ on the crucifix as opposed to the dereliction of west. Church
                            prohibits use of graven image on the cross.

                            Cross represents supreme and divine love of suffering and self-renunciation.
                            Jesus laid down a hard condition to follow him that is to take up ones’ cross,
                            Mat 10:38, 16:24, Mk 8:34, Lk 9:23. In other words, it is impossible to follow
                            Jesus without first denying self. One has to be prepared to loose ones life,
                            relations and belonging. Nothing less than the total abnegation is acceptable.
                            Cross is nonsense to those who perish but power to those who are saved says St
                            Paul. For this reason he felt that preaching in polished language deprives the
                            value of cross, 1 Cor 1:17, 18, 23. He boasted only in cross, Gal 6:14. St.
                            Peter out of reverence opted to be crucified upside down. Cross is symbol of
                            unity between Jews and Gentiles, Eph 2:16. Cross is symbol of overcoming
                            sensual desires because those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh.
                            Cross is the symbol of reconciliation for, God the father absolved the mankind
                            of their inequities by imputing all crimes on Jesus and nailing it to the
                            cross. Cross is the symbol of victory over sin, Satan and death because Jesus
                            nailed them on the cross and came out victorious. Cross is the symbol of saving
                            grace of God for; Jesus’ death and resurrection brought redemption and eternal
                            life to mankind.

                            Tradition has that Apostles carried wooden cross. St. Thomas carried wooden
                            cross in hand and also tied around neck. He grouted wooden cross wherever he
                            founded a church. Malayattur remains a living testimony. The Pilgrim Fathers,
                            it is said brought with them a seven foot-high wooden cross with them. First
                            they did soon after landing was fastening it to the ground with a prayer
                            dedicating this land to God.
                            Fr. John KK
                          • SOCM
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                              Dear Members of SOCM,
                              His Holiness Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka I Iwas is entering into his 23rd
                              year of Patriarchal reign.

                              On September 14, 1980, H.H was consecrated as the Patriarch of Antioch by
                              name Ignatius Zakka I, in a rite officiated by Catholicos of the East,
                              Mor Baselius Paulos II of blessed memory along with the archbishops of
                              the Holy Synod.

                              Let us, the members of SOCM, pray that God grant H.H. good health , strength
                              and wisdom to lead the members of The Universal Syriac Orthodox Church for many
                              more years to come.
                              http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/PZakka1/index.html

                              With praises & thanks to the Lord God
                              Forum Moderators
                            • Dn. Zacharia Varghese
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                Dear All,

                                Thank you for maintaining this vigorous forum airing the views of our
                                faithful. I have enjoyed reading questions and responses. I hope that
                                as we celebrate the aniversary of the enthronement of our Patriarch,
                                we can remember our duty to advocate the Mother Church´s truths.

                                Sincerely,
                                Dn. Zacharia Varghese
                                Dallas, TX
                              • V Thomas
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                  Dear All,
                                  I have come across this case Mr.Manoj is referring.What I have heard
                                  is the priest went through Roof,and followed by bishop.When catholicose
                                  tries to enter through window,no wonder Bishops follow suit.The Malayalam
                                  saying is correct'like king his subjects"!

                                  But Bible is clear- those who enter through back door is none but thief.
                                  Love
                                  V.M. Thomas
                                • Malankara Voice
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                    1. 22nd Anniversary of the Coronation of the Patriarch of Antioch
                                    and all the East
                                    http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Patriarch.htm

                                    2. "Methran faction's attack on Majanikkara Dayaro, most unfortunate"
                                    - Viswasa Samathi

                                    http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Majanikkara_Dayaro_3.htm
                                    More Links available at:- http://www.malankaravoice.cjb.net
                                    http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/news_section_1.htm
                                  • Dr. Daniel Babu Paul
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                      The Cross is gallows transformed into symbol of grace. The Sleeba
                                      Perunal was probably observed from the 4th century itself, although
                                      modern scholars do not attach critical significance to the Helena
                                      story.This is an occasion for us to contemplate on the Cross.

                                      Christ asked us to follow him carrying our cross. Many sermons have
                                      been preached on this "our cross". However the system of execution
                                      would explain what our Lord meant. The one who carries his cross to
                                      the place of execution has no freedom except what is granted by the
                                      Centurion; no address except the gypsom board on which he and his
                                      crime( read biodata or Cv in modern terms) would be recorded. He
                                      cannot even complain that he is tired, or that the Cross he is given
                                      is heavier. that is total surrender. Christ demands that kind of
                                      surrender, to be made voluntarily, by his followers.

                                      Any one hanged on a tree was deemed accursed.Therefore according to
                                      Law Jesus is accursed.Whoever is accursed by the Law is exiled from
                                      it. Whoever is exiled is no longer under the Law.We who follow Him
                                      are also likewise free from the Law. This is the Pauline explanation
                                      of the significance of the Cross as explained by Everett.

                                      For John Cross is the symbol of God's glory. The new Brazen Serpent.
                                      Look to Him and be saved. John 19:37 with Numbers 21: 49.John's
                                      Gospel shows the journey to Calvary as the victory march of a
                                      victorious emperor.

                                      The Cross is gallows. It needs a prey. Either we can offer ourselves
                                      as prey and be rid of sins i.e. crucify the world, or we can crucify
                                      Christ again.

                                      The making of the sign of the cross began in the 2nd century itself,
                                      mostly as a private affair since church was still underground. The
                                      public symbol was either fish or dove, mostly fish because ICHTHYS
                                      means fish and can also be an acronym for Iesus Christos Theou Huios
                                      Soter, viz. Jesus Christ, son of God, Redeemer. It finally became the
                                      central smbol because, " Its two bars were already a cosmic symbol
                                      from remote antiquity of the axis between heaven and earth. But its
                                      choice by Christians had a more specific explanation. They wished to
                                      commemmorate as central to their understanding of Jesus ".

                                      Ancient Christians in India used many forms. Please see either
                                      Dr. Nangachiveetil's book or my VEDASABDARATNAKARAM. The latter also
                                      tries to connect the Cross to a verse in Mundakopanishad.

                                      Let us meditate this week on John 19:37.
                                      TOTUS TUUS MARIA
                                    • Mathew Idichandi
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                        Hello All,

                                        Please clarify one doubt of mine.A friend of mine
                                        recently told me that our bava has only formal
                                        education of fourth standard.Is it true?
                                        I sincerely need a response to clarify my doubtsand
                                        stand up against the people who dont respect him.
                                        Thanks,
                                        Alappurathu Idichandy Mathew
                                        My parish:Manjinikkara
                                        residence:Alapurath house,Omallur,
                                        Pathanamthitta.Kerala
                                      • Ashley S. Chinnan
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                          Hello!

                                          My name is Ashley Chinnan and a friend of mine joined me to the
                                          Forum few months ago. Initially, I was a little bit skeptical about the
                                          forum because I thought it mainly dealt with political issues. But as I
                                          have been reading all the messages, I must say that I'm glad that my
                                          friend joined me in the forum. I'm a Sunday school teacher at St. Mary's
                                          Jacobite church in Lynbrook, New York, and I find many useful topics that
                                          I could discuss with my students from the forum. Not only do I find
                                          useful discussion topics, I 've learned so much about our church's
                                          history and why we do the certain things that we do.
                                          Thank you and please continue to enlighten me.
                                        • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayi
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                            My dear and most beloved in our Lord and God,

                                            I write this to inform you that I am entering into the 25th year of my
                                            priestly ordination on 17th September 2002. I was ordained as a priest by
                                            the late lamented Mor Gregoriose Geevarghese Metropolitan at St. Adai's
                                            Church Nalunnakkal along with Rev.Fr.Mathews Edathara, Augusta Georgia, USA
                                            and Rev.Fr. Geevarghese Thekkanathu, Thrikkothamangalam.

                                            I praise the Lord Almighty for all the blessings I had to work in the
                                            vineyard of our Lord. Now when I look back I think I had crossed the great
                                            part in my life with much blessings and profound gifts from my Lord.
                                            I have been blessed by the prayers and supports of my friends and relatives
                                            all through my way. I got the full support of my co workers wherever I was
                                            posted. The achivements I have made are mainly through these blessings and
                                            cooperations. I thank them all. I thank all my close associates for the
                                            genorous support and encouragements in my griefs and sorrows.

                                            I thank my parents and family members for the love and care given to me to
                                            support my ministry.

                                            I remember my beloved Spiritual fathers and teachers who showed me the way
                                            to the Lord. I am indebted to the members of the Syrian Orthodox Church who
                                            loved me and helped me in all ways in my travels in India and elsewhere and
                                            the supports given to the projects I had been focussing at different times.

                                            I am thankful to the prelates and the leaders of the church for assaigning
                                            me different positions in the church in addition to the priestly offices in
                                            the past 24 years and more.

                                            I thank God for all the blessings.
                                            Please pray for me and bless me,

                                            BLESS MY LORD, IN THE SERVICE OF OUR LORD.
                                            Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil

                                            ----------------------
                                            From the desk of Moderators:
                                            On behalf of the members of the SOCM, we congratulate you on this occasion.
                                            We pray that God bless him abundantly with good health and energy so that
                                            he can continue to serve the Church for many more years to come
                                          • Jacob V. Joshua
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                              Respected Rev. fathers and dear friends,

                                              Are we true followers of the Son of Man, who had no property or a place to
                                              rest His head although the birds have nests and snakes have wholes to take
                                              rest ?

                                              Is there nobody amongst the so called elite and powerful faction owing
                                              allegiance to the Kottayam/Devalokam faction of the Malankara Syrian
                                              Orthodox Church to give advice or wisdom to their confused leadership?
                                              Or they want to watch and enjoy the street fights (even with the dead
                                              bodies) and troubles erupted in the Malankara Church just to capture
                                              other's properties ? Does it not resemble the Emperor Nero, who was
                                              enjoying and celebrating in his palace when Rome was burning ? It seems
                                              that the Kottayam leadership have been sent to this earth to acquire
                                              properties of others and give accounts to somewhere/someone they only know.

                                              No court has so far declared that all the parishes of the Malankara Church
                                              belong to any group or faction or methran or bawa or priest or anybody in
                                              this world. The parish belongs to the God Almighty and its day to day care
                                              has to be undertaken by the faithful who go and attend there.

                                              Instead "Samaraahwanam", political threats, backstabbing, stone throwing,
                                              planned attacks on the holy places, cunning and manipulated actions to
                                              take control of the churches, goondaism by the reverend priests, etc.,
                                              etc. shall not find any end to this man-made conflict in the Holy Church.
                                              It is heard that some film producers and directors have taken keen
                                              interest to make a good commercial film on these 'Christianities' and they
                                              are hopeful to make good profit without much investments. The so called
                                              "model Christians" are available in plenty and they will be happy to act
                                              in such a film without any monetary benefit.

                                              One must understand that the Patriarch of Antioch & All the East was very
                                              much willing to have peace in the Malankara Church and that was the only
                                              reason that His Holiness did not ordain any Catholicos for the Malankara
                                              Church after the demise of the Late Catholicos His Beatitude Aabun Mor
                                              Basalious Paulose II on Sept.1, 1996.

                                              Everybody waited till 26th July 2002 for the return of the Catholicos to
                                              the main stream of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church. The Catholicos
                                              was willing to accept the Patriarch as Supreme Spiritual Head of the
                                              Church, but some vested people did not allow him to do so. Therefore the
                                              conflict continued. Now the Jacobite faction has got the Patriarch
                                              (Supreme Head of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church), Catholicose (local
                                              head of the Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, which is a part of
                                              the Universal Church) ordained by the Patriarch as stipulated in the Sabha
                                              Constitution), Malankara Syrian Chrisitian Association, Constitution, etc.
                                              and become a full pledged Church as envisaged by the early fathers of the
                                              Church. The Supreme Court Judgement also confirms that a true Church should
                                              have all the above mentioned offices of Spiritual authorities in a Church.

                                              Let us pray to God that the divine peace may prevail upon our Church and
                                              the God Almighty may give all of us enough patience and strength to forgive
                                              and forget the misdeeds comitted by all of us.

                                              Yours in Christ,
                                              Jacob V. Joshua
                                              New Delhi
                                            • dooley1112
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                                Sometime back a brother stated that Mor Osthathios a senior
                                                Metropolitan of the Malankara Church reportedly venerated and prayed
                                                by a statute of the Blessed Mother.

                                                I posted back requesting a picture and article no one gave one...I
                                                once again request the picture and article...and to please stop
                                                denying the truth and creating false rumors!
                                                -----------------------------
                                                From the desk of Moderators
                                                Mr. Dooly, we clarified your point along with post. Please go to our
                                                photo section "Clarifications" their you can view the picture. As we requested
                                                earlier, please disclose your identity in your future postings.
                                              • Thomas Daniel
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 16, 2002
                                                  Dear Mr. Idichandy,
                                                  What your friend told you is fully correct. Please inform your
                                                  friend, H.B was working as an "ANJALOTTAKKARAN" (hope your friend
                                                  know the meaning of this word) and as "NEWS PAPER BOY" too to support
                                                  his family before he becomes the priest of Malankara Church.

                                                  We should be proud of our BAVA and church. In our church worldly
                                                  education is not counted for elevating someone for the priesthood.
                                                  Once a layman elevated as priest, then he can become the Catholicose
                                                  or Patriarch of our church if the Almighty choose him. You might know
                                                  that the majority of the Apostles were not even having any basic
                                                  education. Still they were called to that position by the Lord God.
                                                  In our Church, we believe that the same sprit is called anyone for
                                                  the priesthood.

                                                  Now regarding the H.B Baselious Thomas I, his worldly education is
                                                  nothing, but his spiritual education is much more than anyone in
                                                  Malankara which can't be measured by any University or law of the
                                                  land.

                                                  As you know, he was a very famous convention speaker. And he was in
                                                  very demand also, when he was just merely a priest. He was a regular
                                                  speaker in "Nilakkal Convention" conducted by Nilackal Indian
                                                  Orthodox Church, Puthuppally, Kottayam which was witnessed me many
                                                  times along with many of IOC members.

                                                  Also he was very good organizer, none from Malankara can deny his
                                                  efforts and hard work to build the Kolanchery Mission Hospital.

                                                  From the day he started opposing the IOC and their modern teachings,
                                                  he become an untouchable to them. When he is elevated as the
                                                  Catholicose their untouchability increased and they started doubting
                                                  his wordily education.

                                                  But we are proud of him. He is leading us through the true path of
                                                  our forefathers and struggling and accepting all sort of humiliation
                                                  & harassments to keep the Holy Church grow through the true path.

                                                  May the almighty, who choose him as Catholicose, will strengthen him
                                                  in his rest of the life.

                                                  In our Lords Love
                                                  Thomas Daniel
                                                  Cheppaud