JIHADI JACOBITES

  • V Thomas
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 9, 2002
      Dear ALL,
      Recently I have gone through the Indian Orthodox forum where one
      Mr.Thomas P.A Has compared the jacobites to Muslim militants of Kashmir.
      (He also writes in our forum frequently asking innocent questions to
      confuse our readers)He goes on to say jehadis in kasmir coming from
      Pakistan has sent Hindu pundits from Kashmir and occupied their land.
      Jacobite Jehadis also came and occupied Kerala churches like that.
      As per him the Kerala church history is like:

      MM, their children, their slaves and priests inherited the God sown
      country. Every inch of landand all churches belonged to them. The capital
      of the state was Devalokam at Kottayam.There was peace and prosperity
      in the land. No court cases nor quarrels.
      Ennum Onam was there.
      Honey and milk flowed in the rivers. The Asuras from Antioch got jealous
      and send Jehadis (jacobites) from their country. They have come and
      occupied the Manarcad church, Karingachira church etc and driven out
      poor orthodox Christians.

      Now these militants occupy the poor churches. The Devalokam
      leadership is fighting a crusade to save these poor churches and its
      properties under the leadership of Mathews II.

      They deserve every body’s sympathy

      Welldone!!

      Dear Sir, You have beaten RSS and VHP in misinterpreting history!
      Regards
      vmt
    • SOCM
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 11, 2002
        Knanaya Church draws up innovative education scheme
        KOTTAYAM: The Knanaya Education & Career Guidance Centre has drawn up
        plans for providing higher education with the slogan, �one graduate
        in every family and employment for every graduate".

        Abraham Mar Clemis, supreme head of the Knanaya Jacobite Church and
        the longest serving metropolitan in the country, is the architect of the
        innovative programme.

        The centre will compile data about high school, higher secondary and degree
        level students and record their tastes with regard to professional education
        and jobs. Orientation classes and career awareness programmes will be
        conducted and career guidance libraries will be set up, said Chirayil
        Kuraikose Cor Episcopa, Fr Joseph Abraham and Fr Mathew Kallolikkal and
        others.
        www.newindpress.com
        12th September 2002
        http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?
        ID==IER20020911153001&Title==Kerala&rLink==0
      • SOCM
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 11, 2002
          CM ready to mediate in Church dispute
          PTI [ WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2002 10:49:45 PM ]
          THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Chief Minister A K Antony on Wednesday said he was
          willing to mediate to settle the dispute between the Orthodox and Jacobite
          factions of the Malankara church, if both sides were willing.

          Reiterating that government was not a party to the dispute nor was it bound
          to execute any court order, Antony said he was not averse to mediatory
          efforts if both sides agreed to his non-political mediation.

          Regretting the violent turn the dispute had taken in some parts of the
          state, he said "it is painful to see the followers of Christ battling it
          out on the streets."

          "My renewed pleas is that both sides should come forward to settle the
          dispute in a democratic or legal manner."

          The government could not be blamed for the problems in the church as there
          was no direction from the court to carry out any order, he said.

          The central and soutern parts of the state had recently witnessed clashes
          between the two church factions.

          http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow.asp?art_Id=!895383
        • SOCM
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 12, 2002
            Malankara Church case in the division bench of the Kerala High Court,
            headed by Chief Justice B.N. Sreekrishna and Justice C N Ramachandran
            Nair, argument will come up for further hearing on September 19.

            Today senior advocate of the Indian Supreme court C.S Vidyanadan
            completed the argument for the Jacobites and Advocate K.N Butt
            started arguments for Indian Orthodox. Once again advocate general of
            Kerala M. Rathan Sing submitted the court that the state government
            would remain neutral in the ongoing dispute and the prime concern of
            the government is keep law and order in the state and since the
            matter has been seized of by the court, the Government would enforce
            any order that might be passed by the court.
          • Malankara Voice
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 12, 2002
              1. "We will mediate if both parties agree" - Chief Minister /
              Jacobites Syrian Church welcomed the peace initiative
              http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Manngalam_12_Sep_02.htm

              2. Government tells High Court it won’t be partisan --- High Court
              postponed the hearing of Church case to 19th
              http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Ind_Express_12_Sep_02.htm

              3."Mar Mathews II has no right to criticize the Jacobite Christians"
              {Source:- Mangalam daily}
              http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Mangalam_11_sep_02.htm

              To read more click below
              http://www.malankaravoice.cjb.net
              http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/news_section_1.htm
            • Thomas P
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 12, 2002
                Dear All, I never used the word "Jihaadi" in my original article.
                I was asking the question, how majority opinion in Kashmir became
                that of those who infiltrated to kashmir? Today they claim
                independence based on majority opinion in Kashmir.
                Thomas
              • Anil A
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 12, 2002
                  Hello Everybody,
                  I'm Anil Abraham Kuriakose,belongs to Manarcad St:Mary's Church.
                  I am presently working with Hewlett-Packard Bangalore as an Engineer.
                  Best Regards,
                  Anil Abraham.
                • Sajeev Abraham
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
                    Hello Everybody,
                    My name is Sajeev Kavumkal. I am a member of St. Thomas Syrian Knanaya
                    Church in Clifton, Jersey. I found this discussion forum very
                    interesting and informative. And I think through this discussion the
                    members of this forum can understnd more about our Syrian Orthodox faith
                    and keep up our faith in H.H. Zakka Iwas, the supream head of Universal
                    Syrian Orthodox church.

                    Remember, in Bible it is clearly written that the first church(sabha)
                    was started in antiaoch and we are an integral part of that church.
                    So our Lord will not allow anybody to distroy it.
                    Keep up the good work.
                    Sajeev.
                  • Manoj George
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
                      I really cannot understand how anyone in their right
                      senses can endorse the actions of the Devalokam
                      Group. I am not refering only to the recent incidents
                      but right from early 1900 's. There have been
                      enough instances in the Malankara Sabha history in
                      this century to prove that this group have no
                      inhibitions about going to any extent to aquire the
                      churches and other temporal assets of the Orthodox
                      Church. Let me give an example. I belong to the Syrian
                      Orthodox community which migrated to
                      the state of Karnataka in the early 50's.
                      Predominantly we are settled in the South Canara and
                      Chickmagalore
                      districts. We come under the perviewe of The
                      Evangilical Association of the East which is under the
                      direct
                      Jurisdiction of the Patriarchate. We have 14 churches
                      and 5 chapels which have been built only
                      because of the sincere efforts of the people and the
                      Blessings of God. I write this because the
                      people living in these areas are not financially
                      strong but in spite of this we have been able to build
                      places of worship largely due to the strong leadership
                      given by the clergy in these areas.
                      The incident I am refering to happened in St.George
                      Church, Narasimharajapura which is the largest parish
                      in Karnataka with over 400 families. This church has 5
                      chapels. Recently in one of the chapels there came up
                      issue which was purely an internal one and a very
                      small group of about 10 people turned against the
                      Vicar who
                      is my Grandfather. As usual and with tactics known
                      only to them the Devalokam group brought this small
                      group under their influence and took up the issue. The
                      result was an issue which was a very minute one was
                      blown
                      out of proportions and a case was filed in the court
                      for the possession of the Chapel. I dont want to
                      elaborate the
                      details of the unchristian methods with which they
                      tried to take possession of the church but I want to
                      write about
                      one particular incident which shows that they can go
                      to any extent to establish their claim.In order to
                      show in the
                      court that the chapel actually belonged to them and
                      that we were occupying the Chapel unlawfully, they
                      produced
                      a few photographs in the court. These were photographs
                      of the Devalokam Priest (?) offering H.Qurbana in this
                      chapel.
                      And beleive me, these photographs were taken in the
                      most cunning way only this particular group can do.
                      All the doors of the chapel were bolted from inside
                      and only the main door was locked from outside. What
                      they did
                      was one of these people got inside the chapel through
                      the roof and opened the door for the Priest (?). And
                      he put on the
                      'Kappa' and posed for the photographs. Can anyone
                      think of a more cunning way to do it?
                      This is the tradition of the Devalokam group and
                      proves that anyone in their right sense of mind can
                      never ever endorse
                      the actions of this group.

                      Regards
                      Manoj George
                    • Malankara Voice
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
                        Invitation to enrol as a subscriber of the Malankara Voice
                        News Bulletins

                        Welcome to MALANKARA VOICE, the online news web site that publishes
                        the latest events from the Malankara (Indian) Jacobite Syrian Orthodox
                        Church. This web news bulletin, first launched in July 2001, is
                        promoted by a group of Syriac Orthodox Christians from central Travancore
                        and is now functioning under the banner ‘Malankara Voice News Group’.

                        Those who wish to receive 'news bulletins' published in Malankara-Voice
                        in your e-mail, please send a subscription request from the email address
                        you wish to put on the list to: Malankara-Voice-subscribe@....
                        The subscription process will be completed automatically.
                        With Regards
                        Moderators, Malankara Voice

                        Our Online News Web Site : www.MalankaraVoice.cjb.net
                        Malankara Voice News group at Yahoo:
                      • Varghese George
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002

                          Name : George Varghesse
                          Address : Mannakuzhiyil House
                          : Thadiyoor P.O.
                          Pathanamthitta dist.

                          Home Parish : Mar Ignathiose Jacobite Syrian Church, Ayroor
                          Thumpamon Diocese

                          Presently working in Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University and is
                          a member of St. George Universal Syrian Orthodox Church - Kuwait.

                          I am happy only to give any further details if needed.
                        • Thomas Daniel
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 13, 2002
                            2002.09.11 Daily Star:
                            Orthodox youth end gathering with networking plan

                            Some 30 young people representing the Coptic, Syrian and Armenian Orthodox
                            Churches in the Middle East concluded their three-day gathering held in
                            Bikfaya to analyze the common challenges facing the youth.
                            According to a statement issued Tuesday, the gathering was held under the
                            theme of the First Orthodox Youth Gathering.

                            Participants had the opportunity to pray together and learn the history of
                            their respective churches. During the plenary sessions, participants
                            discussed the challenges of the era and the networking of the Orthodox
                            Youth.

                            In their final session, participants issued a list of resolutions
                            stipulating the establishment of an interactive e-mail group, the
                            preparation of a website for the Orthodox Youth, the publication of a
                            newsletter for the gathering and the organization of the Annual Day of
                            Prayer and Celebration for the gathering.

                            The statement also said that a Second Orthodox Youth Gathering would be
                            held between Sept. 5-9, 2003 in Egypt.

                            Thomas Daniel
                            St. George Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church (Cheriya Pally)
                            Cheppaud
                          • Aji Thomas David
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                              Hi Mr. Thomas,

                              This is really great..!!! and a very innovative idea. Hope everything
                              goes well and our youngsters have a bright future. I really appreciate
                              all who are behind this noble cause. I hope there won't be any
                              discriminations, and the services can be availed equally by the
                              Knanaya community & Non knanaya Jacobite community. Once again cheers
                              to all..!!!

                              In Christ
                              Aji Thomas David
                              Kadisa Church
                              Kayamkulam
                            • Fr. John Kunjukunju
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                Dear Reji & members of the forum
                                Aattached is the article desired for Sleeba perunal,
                                Thanks,
                                Johnachen

                                The Cross

                                September 14 is the feast of Holy Cross. There is special liturgy in Syria.
                                We have none but Holy Eucharist. Queen Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine
                                the Great of Rome, led an expedition to Jerusalem to find the cross on which
                                Jesus Christ was crucified. By then the whole world forgot about Jesus’ cross
                                and the place where it was abandoned. She, after great deal of effort and
                                spending, finally located the spot. Jews connived with then Roman authorities
                                and dumped Jesus’ cross in very deep pit so that it could never be found. They
                                converted the area into landfill. Three centuries’ continuous waste- dump made
                                the place a hillock. Foul stink, broken glasses, thorny plants, etc made it a
                                haven for ravens where none dared to go. Helena’s persuasions to explore the
                                area met with cold feet. The wise queen sprinkled gold power all over the area
                                and declared rewards to those who collect the most. There was incredible rush
                                to win the contest. The zealous gold-mongers cleared the area in short period.
                                They unearthed the cross from over 300’ dept. There were three identical
                                crosses. It was impossible to identify Jesus’ cross. A dead body stimulated to
                                life when it touched one cross. Thus they ascertained the cross of Jesus and
                                discarded others. She took the cross to Constantinople with great honor. The
                                emperor lavishly constructed a church in Rome called, “Basilica
                                Constantiniana.” He dedicated the cross in the “Church of Holy Sepulchre” on
                                Sept. 14, 335. Muslim militants destroyed this most precious Christian relic
                                during the infamous Crusades that ravished the Christendom in the thirteenth
                                century.

                                The queen had sound reason to undertake such a task. Maxentius, the neighboring
                                king, declared war on Constantine. Constantine became deeply troubled and went
                                to bed with a heavy heart, for Maxentius was tenfold stronger. That night
                                Constantine saw a vision; sign of cross, of superimposed light in the sky. He
                                heard a voice, “Carry this sign on the uniforms of the soldiers and you will
                                win.” He could not fully comprehend the implication of the vision nonetheless,
                                he obeyed it in letter and spirit and miraculously he won the war against his
                                stronger foe. He became Emperor of Rome. He had no doubt that ‘Cross’ brought
                                him victory. He soon believed and submitted to Jesus Christ who was hanged on
                                the cross, dead buried and on the third day rose again. He became the first
                                ever ruler to embrace Christianity. He made Christianity, till then a
                                persecuted religion, the official religion of the empire. Heathen citizens
                                became Christians, their priests became Christian priests and Heathen temples
                                became Christian Churches. Persecutions came to a halt. Christianity for the
                                first time after three centuries of its inception became a royal religion. The
                                title, “Pontiff,” hither to assigned to heathen adviser to Roman Emperor
                                shifted to the Bishop of Rome and he became first among the equals. Priesthood
                                acquired symbols of royalty. Christians’ property rights were established.
                                Sunday, the worship day of Christians became national holiday for the first
                                time. In the transition what Christianity lost was its original fervor, vigor
                                and chastity. Conversions were a necessity rather than willful choice.
                                Christianity became a world religion and succumbed to egocentric power
                                politics. So we can cite both good and evil consequences of famous “Edit of
                                Milan” on June 15, 313 that made Christianity the state religion. But that is
                                not my subject to now deal with.

                                Capital punishment by hanging on tree was very ancient system of the orient.
                                The hanged was considered accursed of God. The body should be removed from tree
                                on the same day lest the land would be defiled, Deut 21:22-23. Murder,
                                rebellion, robbery, treason, etc merited crucifixion. Crucifixion was favorite
                                way of execution to Romans. It was the cruel most form of punishment. They
                                inflicted it upon outside criminals and slaves. Roman citizens were exempted.
                                Antiochus Epiphanus crucified many Jews who defied his decrees. Death in this
                                case was most painful, violent and slowest. It usually took three to four days
                                to die suffering from acute bleeding, pain, asphyxiation, hunger and thirst.
                                Sedatives were given to reduce pain and legs were broken to hasten death. The
                                soldiers did both to both thieves. Jesus refused to drink sedative, thus
                                consciously bore pain in its full magnitude. Soldiers had to ascertain the
                                death of victims before vacating the scene. The soldiers were surprised that
                                Jesus died so fast. They did not break His legs but pierced His side to make
                                sure He had died, John 19:34.

                                St. Paul quoted Deuteronomy 21:23 and said that Jesus, by hanging on the tree
                                became curse for us and thus removed the curse which was on us, Gal
                                3:13. ‘Jehovah witness’ misinterpret word ‘tree’ and teach that Jesus was
                                hanged on a single stem as if on a real tree. Risen Jesus showed disciples His
                                hands with nail mark that removed their doubts about resurrection, John 20:20.
                                Jesus stretched His hands horizontally to both sides, Col 2:14.
                                Jesus was crucified according to Roman manner on a Latin cross
                                (Crux Immissa)because it was not the Jews but the Roman soldiers who
                                carried out judgement.

                                Jesus carried the crossbeam. The upright beam was permanently fixed on the
                                ground. The culprits were scourged, stripped naked, hands stretched and nailed
                                on both sides and then lifted and fastened to the upright beam. Four nails were
                                usually used. Rope tying was employed to support body weight and to prevent
                                from wriggling loose. The culprits’ clothing went to soldiers, Mat 27:35.
                                Criminal carried around his neck a placard inscribing the offense so that
                                others could clearly see to the place of crucifixion and placed overhead after
                                crucifixion. Roman crucifixion was in a nutshell in this form of according to
                                various historical records. Therefore Jehovah witness’ teaching is erroneous.
                                As in the case of the whole proceedings of indictment it is an absolute irony
                                that the title “King of the Jews” which was placed overhead does not constitute
                                an offence. Emperor Constantine abolished capital punishment of crucifixion.
                                Certain people say that Jesus was killed on the cross and hence the cross is
                                murder weapon and should not be venerated nor treated holy. The very idea that
                                Jesus was killed on the cross is wrong. But for willful choice, to undergo
                                death on the cross so that He ought to win over death and decay that so far
                                reigned over mankind, to give everlasting life to humanity; no one could have
                                imposed death on Him. He said, that legions would have come to save Him if He
                                so desired, Mat 26:53. “I lay down my life that I may take it again. No one
                                takes it from me, but I lay it down myself,” Joh 10:17-18. Something that He
                                voluntarily chose could not be said as something mankind imposed upon Him. On
                                the other hand He chose to remove the curse of the law by becoming curse. His
                                passion, crucifixion and resurrection were fulfillment of redemption conceived
                                even before all creations. Denial of this truth alleges that Christian faith is
                                false and they are most miserable creatures guilty of relying on fiction and
                                still live in sin, says St. Paul. Thus treating cross, as murder weapon is
                                wholly absurd heresy.

                                Next allegation is that it is idolatry to worship cross. The fact is that we
                                worship crucified Christ not the cross-shaped wood. We venerate the cross
                                because through cross we are redeemed. Literally, cross is not an idol. Idol is
                                the image of any figure such as likeness of human, beast on earth, fowl in air,
                                anything that creeps on ground, or fish in waters either carved or painted,
                                Deut 4:16-18. The original Decalogue says “You shall not make graven image or
                                likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath
                                or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down nor serve them
                                for I am the Lord your God”, Ex 20:4-5. The word “anything” would include
                                angels, plants and leaves. Moses made two cherubs of gold and placed facing
                                each other on the two ends of the mercy seat, Ex 37:7-9. Solomon’s temple had
                                two cherubs; wings spread wall to wall of the Holy of Holies, made of olive and
                                covered with gold. Cherubs were carved on the wall paneling, 1 K 6:29, 32, and
                                35, 7:36. Many Israelites died of fiery serpents’ bite. God instructed Moses to
                                make brass serpent and post in on a pole in the center of the tent. Moses so
                                did and those who looked on the brass serpent were saved. These are exceptions
                                to the law of idolatry. Literally, cross has no likeness of any natural object
                                and hence it is outside the purview of idol or idolatry. Theologically,
                                anything such as, money, possession, beauty, fame, interest, authority or that
                                is given more importance than God is idol.

                                The Cross has cosmic dimension that it is sign of Christ’s universal dominion.
                                It represents vertical relation between God and humanity and horizontal
                                relation between people. Geographically, it stands in the center of universe;
                                its ends extend infinitely to four corner of the universe and brings to
                                subjection “The breadth, length, hight and depth of the creations, Eph 3:18. It
                                stands in the center of the human history and thus culminates its dominion to
                                the past present and the future. Church prohibits iconographic portrayal of
                                nude, dead Christ on the crucifix as opposed to the dereliction of west. Church
                                prohibits use of graven image on the cross.

                                Cross represents supreme and divine love of suffering and self-renunciation.
                                Jesus laid down a hard condition to follow him that is to take up ones’ cross,
                                Mat 10:38, 16:24, Mk 8:34, Lk 9:23. In other words, it is impossible to follow
                                Jesus without first denying self. One has to be prepared to loose ones life,
                                relations and belonging. Nothing less than the total abnegation is acceptable.
                                Cross is nonsense to those who perish but power to those who are saved says St
                                Paul. For this reason he felt that preaching in polished language deprives the
                                value of cross, 1 Cor 1:17, 18, 23. He boasted only in cross, Gal 6:14. St.
                                Peter out of reverence opted to be crucified upside down. Cross is symbol of
                                unity between Jews and Gentiles, Eph 2:16. Cross is symbol of overcoming
                                sensual desires because those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh.
                                Cross is the symbol of reconciliation for, God the father absolved the mankind
                                of their inequities by imputing all crimes on Jesus and nailing it to the
                                cross. Cross is the symbol of victory over sin, Satan and death because Jesus
                                nailed them on the cross and came out victorious. Cross is the symbol of saving
                                grace of God for; Jesus’ death and resurrection brought redemption and eternal
                                life to mankind.

                                Tradition has that Apostles carried wooden cross. St. Thomas carried wooden
                                cross in hand and also tied around neck. He grouted wooden cross wherever he
                                founded a church. Malayattur remains a living testimony. The Pilgrim Fathers,
                                it is said brought with them a seven foot-high wooden cross with them. First
                                they did soon after landing was fastening it to the ground with a prayer
                                dedicating this land to God.
                                Fr. John KK
                              • SOCM
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                  Dear Members of SOCM,
                                  His Holiness Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka I Iwas is entering into his 23rd
                                  year of Patriarchal reign.

                                  On September 14, 1980, H.H was consecrated as the Patriarch of Antioch by
                                  name Ignatius Zakka I, in a rite officiated by Catholicos of the East,
                                  Mor Baselius Paulos II of blessed memory along with the archbishops of
                                  the Holy Synod.

                                  Let us, the members of SOCM, pray that God grant H.H. good health , strength
                                  and wisdom to lead the members of The Universal Syriac Orthodox Church for many
                                  more years to come.
                                  http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/PZakka1/index.html

                                  With praises & thanks to the Lord God
                                  Forum Moderators
                                • Dn. Zacharia Varghese
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                    Dear All,

                                    Thank you for maintaining this vigorous forum airing the views of our
                                    faithful. I have enjoyed reading questions and responses. I hope that
                                    as we celebrate the aniversary of the enthronement of our Patriarch,
                                    we can remember our duty to advocate the Mother Church´s truths.

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Dn. Zacharia Varghese
                                    Dallas, TX
                                  • V Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                      Dear All,
                                      I have come across this case Mr.Manoj is referring.What I have heard
                                      is the priest went through Roof,and followed by bishop.When catholicose
                                      tries to enter through window,no wonder Bishops follow suit.The Malayalam
                                      saying is correct'like king his subjects"!

                                      But Bible is clear- those who enter through back door is none but thief.
                                      Love
                                      V.M. Thomas
                                    • Malankara Voice
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                        1. 22nd Anniversary of the Coronation of the Patriarch of Antioch
                                        and all the East
                                        http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Patriarch.htm

                                        2. "Methran faction's attack on Majanikkara Dayaro, most unfortunate"
                                        - Viswasa Samathi

                                        http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/Majanikkara_Dayaro_3.htm
                                        More Links available at:- http://www.malankaravoice.cjb.net
                                        http://www.geocities.com/malankarav3/news_section_1.htm
                                      • Dr. Daniel Babu Paul
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 14, 2002
                                          The Cross is gallows transformed into symbol of grace. The Sleeba
                                          Perunal was probably observed from the 4th century itself, although
                                          modern scholars do not attach critical significance to the Helena
                                          story.This is an occasion for us to contemplate on the Cross.

                                          Christ asked us to follow him carrying our cross. Many sermons have
                                          been preached on this "our cross". However the system of execution
                                          would explain what our Lord meant. The one who carries his cross to
                                          the place of execution has no freedom except what is granted by the
                                          Centurion; no address except the gypsom board on which he and his
                                          crime( read biodata or Cv in modern terms) would be recorded. He
                                          cannot even complain that he is tired, or that the Cross he is given
                                          is heavier. that is total surrender. Christ demands that kind of
                                          surrender, to be made voluntarily, by his followers.

                                          Any one hanged on a tree was deemed accursed.Therefore according to
                                          Law Jesus is accursed.Whoever is accursed by the Law is exiled from
                                          it. Whoever is exiled is no longer under the Law.We who follow Him
                                          are also likewise free from the Law. This is the Pauline explanation
                                          of the significance of the Cross as explained by Everett.

                                          For John Cross is the symbol of God's glory. The new Brazen Serpent.
                                          Look to Him and be saved. John 19:37 with Numbers 21: 49.John's
                                          Gospel shows the journey to Calvary as the victory march of a
                                          victorious emperor.

                                          The Cross is gallows. It needs a prey. Either we can offer ourselves
                                          as prey and be rid of sins i.e. crucify the world, or we can crucify
                                          Christ again.

                                          The making of the sign of the cross began in the 2nd century itself,
                                          mostly as a private affair since church was still underground. The
                                          public symbol was either fish or dove, mostly fish because ICHTHYS
                                          means fish and can also be an acronym for Iesus Christos Theou Huios
                                          Soter, viz. Jesus Christ, son of God, Redeemer. It finally became the
                                          central smbol because, " Its two bars were already a cosmic symbol
                                          from remote antiquity of the axis between heaven and earth. But its
                                          choice by Christians had a more specific explanation. They wished to
                                          commemmorate as central to their understanding of Jesus ".

                                          Ancient Christians in India used many forms. Please see either
                                          Dr. Nangachiveetil's book or my VEDASABDARATNAKARAM. The latter also
                                          tries to connect the Cross to a verse in Mundakopanishad.

                                          Let us meditate this week on John 19:37.
                                          TOTUS TUUS MARIA
                                        • Mathew Idichandi
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                            Hello All,

                                            Please clarify one doubt of mine.A friend of mine
                                            recently told me that our bava has only formal
                                            education of fourth standard.Is it true?
                                            I sincerely need a response to clarify my doubtsand
                                            stand up against the people who dont respect him.
                                            Thanks,
                                            Alappurathu Idichandy Mathew
                                            My parish:Manjinikkara
                                            residence:Alapurath house,Omallur,
                                            Pathanamthitta.Kerala
                                          • Ashley S. Chinnan
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                              Hello!

                                              My name is Ashley Chinnan and a friend of mine joined me to the
                                              Forum few months ago. Initially, I was a little bit skeptical about the
                                              forum because I thought it mainly dealt with political issues. But as I
                                              have been reading all the messages, I must say that I'm glad that my
                                              friend joined me in the forum. I'm a Sunday school teacher at St. Mary's
                                              Jacobite church in Lynbrook, New York, and I find many useful topics that
                                              I could discuss with my students from the forum. Not only do I find
                                              useful discussion topics, I 've learned so much about our church's
                                              history and why we do the certain things that we do.
                                              Thank you and please continue to enlighten me.
                                            • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayi
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                                My dear and most beloved in our Lord and God,

                                                I write this to inform you that I am entering into the 25th year of my
                                                priestly ordination on 17th September 2002. I was ordained as a priest by
                                                the late lamented Mor Gregoriose Geevarghese Metropolitan at St. Adai's
                                                Church Nalunnakkal along with Rev.Fr.Mathews Edathara, Augusta Georgia, USA
                                                and Rev.Fr. Geevarghese Thekkanathu, Thrikkothamangalam.

                                                I praise the Lord Almighty for all the blessings I had to work in the
                                                vineyard of our Lord. Now when I look back I think I had crossed the great
                                                part in my life with much blessings and profound gifts from my Lord.
                                                I have been blessed by the prayers and supports of my friends and relatives
                                                all through my way. I got the full support of my co workers wherever I was
                                                posted. The achivements I have made are mainly through these blessings and
                                                cooperations. I thank them all. I thank all my close associates for the
                                                genorous support and encouragements in my griefs and sorrows.

                                                I thank my parents and family members for the love and care given to me to
                                                support my ministry.

                                                I remember my beloved Spiritual fathers and teachers who showed me the way
                                                to the Lord. I am indebted to the members of the Syrian Orthodox Church who
                                                loved me and helped me in all ways in my travels in India and elsewhere and
                                                the supports given to the projects I had been focussing at different times.

                                                I am thankful to the prelates and the leaders of the church for assaigning
                                                me different positions in the church in addition to the priestly offices in
                                                the past 24 years and more.

                                                I thank God for all the blessings.
                                                Please pray for me and bless me,

                                                BLESS MY LORD, IN THE SERVICE OF OUR LORD.
                                                Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil

                                                ----------------------
                                                From the desk of Moderators:
                                                On behalf of the members of the SOCM, we congratulate you on this occasion.
                                                We pray that God bless him abundantly with good health and energy so that
                                                he can continue to serve the Church for many more years to come
                                              • Jacob V. Joshua
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                                  Respected Rev. fathers and dear friends,

                                                  Are we true followers of the Son of Man, who had no property or a place to
                                                  rest His head although the birds have nests and snakes have wholes to take
                                                  rest ?

                                                  Is there nobody amongst the so called elite and powerful faction owing
                                                  allegiance to the Kottayam/Devalokam faction of the Malankara Syrian
                                                  Orthodox Church to give advice or wisdom to their confused leadership?
                                                  Or they want to watch and enjoy the street fights (even with the dead
                                                  bodies) and troubles erupted in the Malankara Church just to capture
                                                  other's properties ? Does it not resemble the Emperor Nero, who was
                                                  enjoying and celebrating in his palace when Rome was burning ? It seems
                                                  that the Kottayam leadership have been sent to this earth to acquire
                                                  properties of others and give accounts to somewhere/someone they only know.

                                                  No court has so far declared that all the parishes of the Malankara Church
                                                  belong to any group or faction or methran or bawa or priest or anybody in
                                                  this world. The parish belongs to the God Almighty and its day to day care
                                                  has to be undertaken by the faithful who go and attend there.

                                                  Instead "Samaraahwanam", political threats, backstabbing, stone throwing,
                                                  planned attacks on the holy places, cunning and manipulated actions to
                                                  take control of the churches, goondaism by the reverend priests, etc.,
                                                  etc. shall not find any end to this man-made conflict in the Holy Church.
                                                  It is heard that some film producers and directors have taken keen
                                                  interest to make a good commercial film on these 'Christianities' and they
                                                  are hopeful to make good profit without much investments. The so called
                                                  "model Christians" are available in plenty and they will be happy to act
                                                  in such a film without any monetary benefit.

                                                  One must understand that the Patriarch of Antioch & All the East was very
                                                  much willing to have peace in the Malankara Church and that was the only
                                                  reason that His Holiness did not ordain any Catholicos for the Malankara
                                                  Church after the demise of the Late Catholicos His Beatitude Aabun Mor
                                                  Basalious Paulose II on Sept.1, 1996.

                                                  Everybody waited till 26th July 2002 for the return of the Catholicos to
                                                  the main stream of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church. The Catholicos
                                                  was willing to accept the Patriarch as Supreme Spiritual Head of the
                                                  Church, but some vested people did not allow him to do so. Therefore the
                                                  conflict continued. Now the Jacobite faction has got the Patriarch
                                                  (Supreme Head of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church), Catholicose (local
                                                  head of the Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, which is a part of
                                                  the Universal Church) ordained by the Patriarch as stipulated in the Sabha
                                                  Constitution), Malankara Syrian Chrisitian Association, Constitution, etc.
                                                  and become a full pledged Church as envisaged by the early fathers of the
                                                  Church. The Supreme Court Judgement also confirms that a true Church should
                                                  have all the above mentioned offices of Spiritual authorities in a Church.

                                                  Let us pray to God that the divine peace may prevail upon our Church and
                                                  the God Almighty may give all of us enough patience and strength to forgive
                                                  and forget the misdeeds comitted by all of us.

                                                  Yours in Christ,
                                                  Jacob V. Joshua
                                                  New Delhi
                                                • dooley1112
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 15, 2002
                                                    Sometime back a brother stated that Mor Osthathios a senior
                                                    Metropolitan of the Malankara Church reportedly venerated and prayed
                                                    by a statute of the Blessed Mother.

                                                    I posted back requesting a picture and article no one gave one...I
                                                    once again request the picture and article...and to please stop
                                                    denying the truth and creating false rumors!
                                                    -----------------------------
                                                    From the desk of Moderators
                                                    Mr. Dooly, we clarified your point along with post. Please go to our
                                                    photo section "Clarifications" their you can view the picture. As we requested
                                                    earlier, please disclose your identity in your future postings.
                                                  • Thomas Daniel
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 16, 2002
                                                      Dear Mr. Idichandy,
                                                      What your friend told you is fully correct. Please inform your
                                                      friend, H.B was working as an "ANJALOTTAKKARAN" (hope your friend
                                                      know the meaning of this word) and as "NEWS PAPER BOY" too to support
                                                      his family before he becomes the priest of Malankara Church.

                                                      We should be proud of our BAVA and church. In our church worldly
                                                      education is not counted for elevating someone for the priesthood.
                                                      Once a layman elevated as priest, then he can become the Catholicose
                                                      or Patriarch of our church if the Almighty choose him. You might know
                                                      that the majority of the Apostles were not even having any basic
                                                      education. Still they were called to that position by the Lord God.
                                                      In our Church, we believe that the same sprit is called anyone for
                                                      the priesthood.

                                                      Now regarding the H.B Baselious Thomas I, his worldly education is
                                                      nothing, but his spiritual education is much more than anyone in
                                                      Malankara which can't be measured by any University or law of the
                                                      land.

                                                      As you know, he was a very famous convention speaker. And he was in
                                                      very demand also, when he was just merely a priest. He was a regular
                                                      speaker in "Nilakkal Convention" conducted by Nilackal Indian
                                                      Orthodox Church, Puthuppally, Kottayam which was witnessed me many
                                                      times along with many of IOC members.

                                                      Also he was very good organizer, none from Malankara can deny his
                                                      efforts and hard work to build the Kolanchery Mission Hospital.

                                                      From the day he started opposing the IOC and their modern teachings,
                                                      he become an untouchable to them. When he is elevated as the
                                                      Catholicose their untouchability increased and they started doubting
                                                      his wordily education.

                                                      But we are proud of him. He is leading us through the true path of
                                                      our forefathers and struggling and accepting all sort of humiliation
                                                      & harassments to keep the Holy Church grow through the true path.

                                                      May the almighty, who choose him as Catholicose, will strengthen him
                                                      in his rest of the life.

                                                      In our Lords Love
                                                      Thomas Daniel
                                                      Cheppaud