Re: To Rev. Fr. George

  • Fr.T.George
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2007
      Dear Mr. Abraham Paul,

      Many thanks for your response. If my knowledge serves me right, formerly we (both jacobite and orthodox) recited only the main or official name of designation of our living spiritual fathers in the first Thubden. Of the three patriarchs remembered, the first is the patriarch of Anioch Moran Mar Ignatius,the second is the Catholicose of the East Moran Mar Baselios , the third is Gregorios of Jerusalem, though only Bishop, he is designated as patriarch on a special privilege. It is only in the recent edition of the Jacobites that the full name of patriarch of antioch has been given. We(Orthodox) have not made any addition or deletion to the liturgy so far. We have no delicacy in adding the full name of the patriach of antioch in our 1st thubden provided his designation has the approval of the holy synod and Malankara Association.

      The unofficial skipping of the names of the departed holy fathers in the 5th Diptychs in some places may be to save time from our lengthy liturgy and to avoid disgrace to the remebered forefathers. I have attended the holy qurbana said in many jacobite churches, there I have seen most of the acolytes recite the names of the holy fathers mere mechanically and without any sense of concentration or devotion. Anything done devoid of spirit and in a mechanical manner does not mean anything.The liturgy performed mechanically becomes a perfunctory act. So it is always better to have a meaningful diptichs than a farce diptychs.

      Be assured of my prayers for you.

      With love,
      Yours in Christ,
      Fr.T.George,Ireland.