Re: New Kothamangalam diocese for IOC !!!

  • Paul Pothen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2007
      Dear Alex,

      It is widely believed that IOC will soon ordain a Ramban from South kerala and who is now stationed at Vettikkal Dayara as their bishop for Angmaly diocese (or perhaps their New Kothamangalam diocese). It was only during his elevation as Ramban recently that he changed his original name to Yeldho. So we can soon expect a bishop with the name of our holy Maphrian, in IOC too.

      Looking from IOC's view point this Ramban is a very efficient and good organizer. It was he who made it mandatory for all our Jacobite students studying in his school at vettikkal Dayara to study at his (IOC) Sunday School also. At that time majority, ie; 90 % of students, studying in his school were our children and who were from comparatively poor background. (In that place there is only a handful number of IOC families). Naturally it made a great pressure on the parents who had no other option other than continuing in that school where there was only one more government school remaining.

      It was then our new Seminary Metropolitan Mor Theophilos raised to the occasion and took the initiative to start a school (Mor Aphrem school) at our seminary itself. This was a great boon for our people who were very worried at the strict instructions given to them by IOC management to attend their Sunday schools to continue studying in their school. With our bishop’s earnest effort almost the entire students studying at IOC’s school, left there and joined our school. Within no time Theophilos thirumeni bought some land adjacent to our seminary and built a good building there for the seminary school.

      This year thirumeni also bought the other government school in that area, which was under threat of closure because of lack of students there. Thirumeni later also took control of the management of a semi-government. orphanage at Vettikkal and offered free education for them at his schools. Thirumeni is using the seminary bus and other facilities for the welfare of the orphans and the students studying in our schools. Without the timely action of our thirumeni, we might have certainly lost a great number of our faithful in that village.

      I have mentioned all this here as it is a warning to our entire leadership to work more and more in this era of ‘flock-catching’. Since such types of threats are a reality that will only precipitate in future, our Church has to concentrate more on the welfare of our people and at the same time start more worship centres at every nook and corner of the country, failing which we will be loosers to those strangers in our own soil.

      With best regards,
      Paul Pothen
      Ernakulam
      Member ID # 3305