Devotional thoughts for the Sunday of Annunciation to Zechariah

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2007
      Reading: From the gospel according to St. Luke 1: 5-25

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      In the beginning of today's reading we could find the introduction ofSt. Luke of a noble family in which both partners were righteous before God and were walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. The Holy Scripture introduces very few as righteous. Let us think what is meant by righteousness. In 1 Kings 9:4 we listen to Lord God's command to King Solomon. God asked the Kingto walk with integrity of heart and in uprightness to obey God's commands. In 2 Kings 20:3 we hear the cry of King Hezekiah where he claims that he had kept a perfect heart and had done all that were good to God. In Psalms 119: 6 we read, "Then I shall not be ashamed when I have respect unto all thy commandments." From these verses we could come to the conclusion that if one could keep a perfect heart dedicated to Lord God, and obey all the commandments alike, he or she could attain righteousness. Why we cannot be righteous in our daily lives? Often we fail to keep the integrity of our hearts. And we place many other objects in the exact place where we are supposed to offer seat for our Lord God. We often turn to be name sake Christian faithful. Secondly we fail to honor all the commandments alike. Usually we ignore at least a few. Do we love our God as He loves us? Let us examine ourselves. When we talk about the spirituality and spiritual growth, we speak with thousands of tongues. Are we able tokeep up our word and deed together and alike? We should not forget that our Lord had summarized the Ten Commandments as two, and presented them in a very simple way. He
      asked us to love God and love fellowmen. No one of us will say that
      we will not love God or we cannot love God, Unfortunately we often
      postpone all the commandments. Donations to certain building funds
      connected with the Church or other charity projects will not be
      enough to prove our love to God. Ourlove to God must be exhibited by
      obeying Him and His commandments. If we cannot love our
      parents/children, and brethren, we cannot love God. Let us think
      whether we are torch bearers of innocent and sincere love or of
      hatred, enmity and all sorts of selfish motives.

      We might claim to be regular for the church services etc. But could
      we obey all the commandments alike? If not we must rectify our
      tracks immediately with a genuine repentance. Let us submit ourselves forGod's entire disposal. Let us not add priorities for our selfish interests and motives. We should not forget the fact that the Holy Church had observed Koodos Etho (Sanctification of the Church) two weeks back and Hoodos Etho (Dedication of the Church) last week. We,the entire members of the Church were supposed to get sanctified and dedicated in the real sense. If not there is no meaning in findingfault with the clergy or the Church leadership for our low standard of spirituality.

      In verse 10 we read "And the whole multitude of the people
      were praying without at the time of incense". .Actually this practice
      is the Biblical base of our congregational prayers before the
      public worship of Holy Eucharist. When the celebrant arranges the
      mysterieson the Altar behind the curtains, the congregation recites
      the canonical prayers. We should not forget the fact that the
      celebrant is praying earnestly for the entire creation from Adam till the very moment. Our prayers also must identify with the prayers of the celebrant. We must pray God Almighty to get pleased in our offering and grand us enough and more supply of the Holy Spirit. It is a pity that many of us do not consider the seriousness in attending the prayers from the very beginning of the day.

      May God bless us all
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril