Wearing of Kappa during Holy Baptism

  • Prem Jacob
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 16, 2007
      Dear Moderators,

      I have a query/doubt which I would like to ask 'Malpan' the core
      group who I hope can help me by clarifying it.

      I have earlier seen priests conducting the Holy Baptism without
      wearing the Kappa. This was again seen during the Baptism of my
      younger child couple of months back. I had not paid much attention
      to it mainly because of my lack of knowledge about many of the
      customs of our church. When I emailed the photographs of the baptism
      to many of my family and friends, couple of my relatives called me
      up later and asked me why the priest was not wearing the Kappa but
      only the inner vestments during the Baptism. I then refered to few
      of earlier taken pictures of the Baptism of my elder child and my
      brother's child which were on different occasions. My elder son's
      Baptism was conducted by my GrandFather who is a priest and 92 years
      old (89 at the time of the Baptism) and my nephew was Baptised by a
      respected Rabban a year ago. On both the occasions the priests were
      seen wearing the Kappa.

      Is wearing of the Kappa during the Holy Baptism a mandatory custom
      or is it an optional thing? If it is mandatory why would some
      priests chose not to wear the Kappan during the Baptism? As some
      jokingly commented to me, is it because the priests do not like to
      get their Kappa wet? I understand that Holy Baptism is one of the
      Holy 'Koodashas' of our church and hence has to be conducted with
      utmost sanctity.

      Awaiting your reply.

      In HIS Love

      Prem Jacob
      Member ID-0909
    • H.E Geevarghese Mor Deevannasios
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2007
        Dear Moderators,

        We cannot appreciate anybody not wearing vestments especially "Kappa" while conducting Baptism. It was our tradition and custom the celebrants using the holy vestments and according the directions of our fore fathers of blessed memory.

        In this Dayara we the bishops, the monks and the priests used to
        wear the Kappa during the holy Baptism and avoid any word or stanza
        during this ceremony because the "Baptism is one" and not giving a
        chance to correct it next time.

        It was taught us by our former bishop of Simhasana Churches Mor
        Ulios Yacub. Any mistake happened in this sacrament is not
        forgivable. Therefore the priests are serving in this sacrament with
        full fear of God.

        Deevannasios Methrachan
        Manjanikkara
        18-11-2007

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2007
          Dear Moderators & readers,

          I've noted a fatal mistake in my last message.It is as
          so ......................... "and avoid any word or stanza
          during this ceremony because the "Baptism is one" and not giving a
          chance to correct it next time." Please read it as "and NOT
          avoid.............."

          Sorry for the mistake done.
          Deevannasios Methrachan
          Manjanikkara
          20-11-2007

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, H.E Geevarghese Mor Deevannasios
          wrote:

          > Dear Moderators,
          >
          > We cannot appreciate anybody not wearing vestments
          especially "Kappa" while conducting Baptism. It was our tradition
          and custom the celebrants using the holy vestments and according the
          directions of our fore fathers of blessed memory.

          > In this Dayara we the bishops, the monks and the priests used to
          > wear the Kappa during the holy Baptism and avoid any word or stanza
          > during this ceremony because the "Baptism is one" and not giving a
          > chance to correct it next time.

        • Johnson Mannathoor
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
            Shlomo to All.

            My sincere and humble thanks to H.G Deevannasios Methrachen for
            giving this valuable reply. My neice's baptism was conducted at
            Manarcadu church in the year 2001 and the celebrant was a Cor
            Episcopus. Phino (Kappa) was not worn during the baptism instead but
            the white dress, Hammaneekho etc was worn by the priest. In our
            church and near by churches the preists used to wear Kappa for the
            baptism but some of them use old Kayyuras for the reason that it
            will get wet.

            I would also like to ask one question regarding priests wearing
            Kappa during funeral procession of laity. I have seen this custom at
            some places. Is it allowed by the church ?.

            Johnson Mannathoor
            Member Id # 2335

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
              Most Rev.Deevannaisos Thirumeni,

              We did notice the mistake but ignored it since we felt what your
              grace meant. I still remember your words during a prayer meeting in
              our St.George J.S Church Mannathoor some time in 90/91 when your
              grace was a Rabban. Your speeches and writings have captured the
              minds of many people and as obedient children we ignore such non
              intentional mistakes. We pray and hope our other Thirumenis also
              come to the front of this Forum and participate in such dialogues.

              At your feet,

              Johnson Mannathoor
              #2335.

              wrote:

              > Dear Moderators & readers,
              >
              > I've noted a fatal mistake in my last message.It is as
              > so ......................... "and avoid any word or stanza
              > during this ceremony because the "Baptism is one" and not giving a
              > chance to correct it next time." Please read it as "and NOT
              > avoid.............."
            • Prem Jacob
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
                Dear Moderators,

                I would like express my sincere and humble thanks to our Most
                Respected and Beloved Deevannasious Thirumeni for his valuable reply
                and clarification given to my query regarding wearing of the Kappa.
                But a few doubts still linger in my mindÂ…. If it is customary for
                priests to wear the Kappa during the Holy Baptism, why aren't some
                of the priests not doing it? Why are they not giving the necessary
                required importance to the celebration of a sacrament like Baptism?
                Wouldn't this make the sacrament which is not celebrated in a manner
                it should be celebrated, kind of incomplete? Aren't these aspects
                of the celebrations of Holy Sacrements to be practiced in its
                complete form and manner by atleast the Dayara Priests ! I fail to
                understand.

                Yours in Christ,

                Prem Jacob
                Member ID-0909