re:Priest Name

  • Rev. Dn. Bennet Kuriakose
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2007
      Shlomo
      Dear Shinu,
      About what you asked about priests still using the maiden name...the
      blame cannot be only on priest, but should be to many christian
      malayalees.

      The first hierarchy in priesthood is 'mhaymno' and this first level of priesthood is within all christians by the ordination with Holy Mooron (1 Peter 2:9). Many christain malayalees do not use the christian name, but use another maiden name including myself and I assume Mr. Shinu too.

      My thought is that, this is NOT a big issue. Our original name is the name in which we are ordained and the other 'names' are the name which we are called. I wrote 'names' intensionally. That is, many may call us 'chettan', our sister may call 'ichayan' or parents may call 'mon' etc....we cannot be strict that they should call us the original name in which we are ordained.

      Our original name is the same name in which we are ordained (and by
      which we shall be called by God) and the others are 'omana perukal'
      called with passion, including the maiden names, the surnames etc. But anyway, the usage of the ordination name is to be encouraged...

      God Bless!
      Dn. Bennet Kuriakose (Geevarghese Koruyo)
    • Shinu Jesus Abraham
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2007
        Saino

        Thanks to shemmachan for the reply. I do agree with most of it but I
        personally believe priest do have more responsibility to stick to
        the right practice because lately I felt most of the newly ordained
        are using the maiden name (not only in SOC alone but most of the
        Christian community) rather than the ordained name and some names do
        not reflect any Reverence or meaning.

        Being out of my native place for a long time for studies and
        employment I did get very little chance to attend much ordination,
        but one still remain in my memory by Perumpally Thirumeni and later
        during H.G's speech it was mentioned "Nammude Atmiya Udarathil
        janicha nammude priya makan, Kassissa…" So is it right for somebody
        to stick to the maiden name after this? Being orthodox I believe it
        the duty of our church to encourage the use of ordained name.

        May God bless us all.

        Shinu Jesus Abraham
        Member ID # 2908

        N.B – My grandfather (my Godfather too) who was a priest by name
        Jesus, himself registered me in the school as "Shinu Jesus Abraham"
        even-though my baptism register is "Yesudas" -:) - sorry I am not a
        good singer..