Re: Correct Use - Rabban?

  • Dr. Thomas Joseph
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2007
      I see that this question has received thoughtful responses from H.E.
      Mor Athanasius Geevargis and others. I would like to provide some
      additional context.

      The term Rabban precedes monasticism in the Syriac Church, which
      arrived from Egypt only in the late 4th cent. Bishop Jacob of
      Nisibis is know to have founded a school in Edessa in the early 4th
      cent. where the Head of the school was called Rabban and he also
      occupied the chief exegete's chair (kursyo da-mpassqono). The chief
      disciplinary official as well as the librarian was the Steward
      (rabbayto). The school had other academic positions such as maqryono
      (instructor in liturgical reading)m, mhaggyono (elementary reading
      master) and badoqo (researcher, apparently in secular subjects). The
      students were called eskolaye (from the Greek schola). Mor Ephrem
      the Syrian was a mpassqono (Exegete) at this school. (See Robert
      Murray, Symbols of Church and Kingdom, [1975, Gorgias reprint 2004,
      p. 23]).

      Rabban is very likely to have later been associated with the
      monastic schools and then generally applied to any monk. Today
      Rabban typically denotes an ordained priest-monk. Novitiates are
      called sharwoye and the general term for monks irrespective of their
      ecclesiastical rank is dayroyo (inhabitant of a dayro - monastery).

      Even though in Syriac, today we write Raban (reesh beth nun) with a
      single beth, we know that the beth was in early Syriac doubled, i.e.
      Rab-ban. Even though it is written with a single beth, it is
      pronounced with hard spirantization (qushoyo); otherwise a beth
      preceded by a vowel would be pronounced soft (rukhokho). (See George
      Kiraz, Introduction to Syriac Spirantization, Barhebraeaus Verlag,
      Holland, 1995).

      Curiously, where such doubling occurs, in Malayalam, the beth is
      corrupted as "mb". Ramban is an example. Another is qambel for
      qabbel (accept).

      PS: At the N. American Syriac Symposium at Princeton in 2003, a Syro-
      Malabar priest presented a choir that sang many East Syriac songs.
      He also had the songs recorded on a CD which was on sale. On
      noticing the mis-transliterated Syriac title of the CD (Qambel
      Moran), Prof John Healey (Manchester Univ, and author of the First
      Studies in Syriac, Gorgias Press, 2005) remarked to a few of us that
      even though the Indian Syriac music was good, due to philological
      reasons he could not buy the CD!)

      Rgds,
      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
      Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [
      http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
      ID: 0202

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Shinu Jesus Abraham wrote:

      > Greetings to All
      >
      > What is the correct name - Rabban or Ramban in syriac language? If
      it is Rabban why do we follow is as Ramban?

      > Shinu Jesus Abraham
      > Member ID # 2908
    • Shinu Jesus Abraham
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007