Re: Ladies at IOC General Body

  • Cecil.K.Varghese
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
      Dear SOCM family,

      This is in response of Mr. of Zachariah Mathews message about ladies of IOC church. When Jesus fed people with 5 loaves there were 5000 men , women were not counted. We Jacobites do not count ladies ?? St. Paul asked ladies to be silent in the church are we are following it? Mr Zachariah, We copied many things from IOC like birthday, anniversary prayers, it is not a Syrian tradition,we Jacobites do go to the church , do confession and receive Holy Qurbana on these occasions . We do not have a birthday prayer in our olden books,in late 80's this addition is started by the IOC for making money (by sending an envelop) we copied it in many churches especially out of Kerala churches.

      Do you believe they (IOC)give voting power to the ladies? No, it is a show only like Pakistan president election. I believe, in many places ladies are members of the managing committee, they are participating in the church general body, if we need it, individual churches can decide it, Ladies of our st.Mary's Syrian orthodox church Houston ,Texas are participating and sharing their views in the general bodyand coming forward to become trustees and members of managing committee. Thankyou for pointing out a subject to be discussed.

      Cecil.K.Varghese
      ID#890