Suggestion

  • Rev. Fr. Geevarughese Pathinalpparayil
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2007
      Shlomo

      Dear Members,

      We should seriously think of a media to propagate the holy life of our forefathers as a model to the children of the Holy Church. I am not talking about the routine telecast of the speeches of the eminent preachers through various Channels.

      I have heard people talking about a very touching ‘Kadhaprasangam’ on ‘Kothamangalam Bava.’ I have not personally heard it. The Story Teller has used the songs from the Church Liturgy without causing any change to the ‘Niram’ and he has quoted from the Bible also. Many persons who have heard this still cherish this experience as a very good one. Thousands of non-Christians also listened the ‘Kadhaprasangam’ and became the admirers of the Great Saint.

      What I am trying to tell is we should try to form a group of people who can propagate and show the life of the Church Fathers, Christian Faith, and a TRUE PICTURE of the Church other than the twisted one. Their platform to go to the people will be our Parish Festival Days and Feasts.

      Catholic church has gone farther in this. They have people including priests who write and sing the Bible Teaching in Keerthanas. They train their youth to stage the Catechism in dramas and dances. I am not telling to copy or imitate them.

      We are very rich with the abundance of the Liturgical Tradition. Only a little of it is exposed or familiar to the laity and even to clergy.

      Doctrines and teaching of the church will not be digested unless it is provided in a more simple and comprehensive manner which is pleasing to the spectators and listeners.

      Somebody should come forward to do something in this taking this as a challenge. I hope H.G.Mor Aprem Mathews can form and direct a team like this for his great experience and exposure in the Classical Music, Violin, Theology of the Church, Syriac, Hebrew etc.

      Yours in Christ
      God Bless
      Fr. Geevarughese Pathinalpparayil
      Kottayam Diocese
    • Dr Thomas Joseph
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2007
        Rev. Fr. Geevarughese's suggestion is an excellent one. It is very
        important, as achen suggests, to use the writings of our fathers and
        the liturgical traditions in such renderings or expositions on
        various aspects of our faith.

        This past August, during the Silver Jubilee celebrations of the St.
        Mary's Church in Los Angeles, we presented a depiction of various
        events from the life of the Holy Virgin Mary - The Annunciation,
        Joseph's rebuke of Mary, The Wedding Feast at Cana, Lamentation at
        the Cross, and the Assumption. For the first two, we used the English
        translation of the soghyotho (Syriac dialogue poems) on the two
        themes published in Sebastian Brock's Soghyotho Mgabbyotho
        (Barhebraeus Verlag, Holland, 1982) and translated into English in
        Brock's Bride of Light (SEERI Mor `Etho Series). For the Wedding
        Feast at Cana, we used the liturgical text of the feast in the
        Phanqitho as well as St. Ephrem's poems on the theme. For the
        Lamentation of the Cross, the text was from our Hasho Friday
        Veneration of the Cross liturgy (the all familiar procession hymn,
        the English translation of which is in Mor Athanasius Samuel's
        Ma`de`dono, Book of the Feasts.) For the Assumption, we again used
        hymns from the Phanqitho. Time did not permit setting the texts to a
        metrical form. However, we rendered it an English poetic format with
        tableaus representing the theme in which all our children and youth
        participated. The evening was organized around this event. Even
        though the occasion did not permit the time to present each event in
        much detail, we got rave reviews for the presentation.

        In the Hugoye: The Journal of Syriac Studies (Vol. 5, No. 2) (
        http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/Vol5No2/HV5N2Brock.html), Prof.
        Brock published an article "The Dispute between the Cherub and the
        Thief" which presents a translation of the sogitho which we find in
        the lilyo (midnight) prayers of Holy Saturday in the week of Hasho in
        a truncated form. In the introductory notes, he speaks of the
        dramatic potential of the soghyotho and quotes W.A. Wigram's account
        of the liturgical drama which he witnessed in his visit to
        Mesopotamia in the early 20th cent. There he mentions the performance
        of the English translation of the soghitho presenting a dialogue
        between John the Baptist and our Lord (based on Matthew 3:14) at a
        school in England in the latter part of the last century. So in other
        lands, we now see the use of our rich heritage in teaching faith in
        contemporary forms.

        In Syriac Christianity, the instructional role of liturgy is always
        emphasized. Liturgy provides the primary teaching context of the
        Church. Unfortunately, without instruction it is not possible to
        appreciate the richness of our liturgical heritage and the larger
        corpus of the works of our fathers.

        It is very laudable that priests of our day such as Rev. Fr.
        Geevarughese are setting apart time during Sundays for such
        instruction and thinking about the exposition of our heritage through
        innovative means. As our people are scattered far and wide, we need
        to give serious consideration to such matters so that we can pass on
        the heritage we have received to our future generations and also
        attract others to the gospel of our Lord.

        PS: I urge any of our readers who have information on the
        Kathaprasangam that achen mentions to post it on the forum.

        Rgds,
        Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
        Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
        Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [
        http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
        ID: 0202

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. Geevarughese