Story of a soldier

  • Kuruvila Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2002
      Our Love For Christ Is Only As Real,
      As Our Love For Our Neighbor
      A story is told about a soldier who was finally coming
      home after having fought in Vietnam.He called his
      parents from San Francisco.

      "Mom and Dad, I'm coming home, but I've got a favor to
      ask. I have a friend I'd like to bring with me."

      "Sure," they replied, "we'd love to meet him."

      "There's something you should know the son continued,
      "he was hurt pretty badly in the fighting. He stepped
      on a land mined and lost an arm and a leg. He has
      nowhere else to go, and I want him to come live with
      us."

      "I'm sorry to hear that, son. Maybe we can help him
      find somewhere to live."

      "No, Mom and Dad, I want him to live with us."

      "Son," said the father, "you don't know what you're
      asking. Someone with such a handicap would be a
      terrible burden on us. We have our own lives to live,
      and we can't let something like this interfere with
      our lives. I think you should just come home and
      forget about this guy. He'll find a way to live on his
      own."

      At that point, the son hung up the phone. The parents
      heard nothing more from him.

      A few days later, however, they received a call from
      the San Francisco police. Their son had died after
      falling from a building,they were told. The police
      believed it was suicide. The grief-stricken parents
      flew to San Francisco and were taken to the city
      morgue to identify the body of their son. They
      recognized him, but to their horror they also
      discovered something they didn't know, their son had
      only one arm and one leg.

      The parents in this story are like many of us. We find
      it easy to love those who are good-looking or fun to
      have around, but we don't like people who
      inconvenience us or make us feel uncomfortable. We
      would rather stay away from people who aren't as
      healthy, beautiful, or smart as we are.

      We are blessed by the unconditional love of our
      Heavenly Father. Its our duty to spread this love to
      others. Help others who cant help you back. Love
      others who have nothing to return.

      rgds
      Kuruvila Thomas