Interesting article on Christianity in Kerala

  • Sjoe Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2007
      An article in the Tehelka newsmagazine on people moving away from
      traditional Churches (including ours) to new-age groups:

      http://tehelka.com/story_main34.asp?filename=Ne271007holyghost.asp

      From the desk of the Moderator:

      (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com)and obtain a member ID before posting any more messages in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation
    • Sajy Thannikottu
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 25, 2007
        "ACCORDING TO Eapen Thomas, the treasurer of the Indian Pentecostal
        Church of God, his outfit has about 2,500 small and big churches all
        over Kerala. The Indian Pentecostal Church of God and the Assemblies
        of God are the front-runners while about 800 small groups also remain
        active. “Today we are five lakh in number and the growth appears to be tremendous in recent years. Maybe it is because there is growing unrest in most frontline traditional churches,” says Sam Kuzhikala, media coordinator of the IPC. Divine Feast, a Pentecostal church that opened in Kottayam just three years ago, has grown to a congregation of 8,000 in the town alone."

        Have you seen one of the many reasons mentioned in that article? If we are unable to find a solution to end this Sabha Case and
        Division-Unity arguments next generation remember us saying once upon
        a time there was a church..........

        God bless us

        Sajy Thannikottu, Kathmandu

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Sjoe Thomas wrote:

        > An article in the Tehelka newsmagazine on people moving away from
        > traditional Churches (including ours) to new-age groups:
        >
        > http://tehelka.com/story_main34.asp?filename=Ne271007holyghost.asp

      • Lijo Mathew
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2007
          Every one may have read this article. I think in most of the case clergy is not able to reach the bottom level of the community. As mentioned in the article about the story of a drunkard, just think that our church is able to convert a drunkard back to normal life. Moreover time to change the fundamental sunday school education has already passed. Childern must know about the heritage of syrian church. Being aware of the splendid heritage we possess, no one will never think of being a part of pentecostal church. Our church leadership must think of it.

          Lijo Mathew
          Member ID 3090
        • Kochumon Mannicherry
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2007
            Dear Mr Thomas

            Your link to atricle was interesting.I think we can find the answer in the article itself. I think 75% of the blame is on church leaders. Our church is an Orthodox church which believe the faith should be passed on to geneartions with out dialuting it.

            Unforthunatly this key point is not happening anymore. Majority of
            the Church memebrs are not aware the differences between the main
            episcopal churchs. Why because most clergy men and the church
            governing bodies never bothered to teach the faith. They expect people to follow the church not the faith, but people are more intelligent and start questioning the faith and traditions. But our system did not change to answer to this questions. I must say when i was a teenager it was my great dilema what is the real faith and church,i found there is no one to approach to get answers for my questions,sunday school teachers were helful but not enough to answer to my dilema.It wasn't their fault but they were more trained to say about christian faith but not why should we follow the orthodox faith.I have to do my own research to find answers for it,the only reason i understood the faith of Orthodox faith i did have few good books available to read from my father's collections like The Syriac Church history,The Indian Church of St Thomas, and many more including books from catholic marthomites,pentocostal churchs and Jehowas witness. Now-a-days teanagers and most adults do have other things to do which they think is better and important to do.

            I must say there is another important issue to consider. Parents these days mostly aren't a good role models and their teachings and directions to kids are mainly how to make money,how to become a importent person of influence in society (like a politian or celibrity) and the role models they show for their kids are mainly Karunakaran,Oommen Chandy or Laloo,to us honest and coraius people like Gandhi or Mandela are loosers. A person who is honest,and
            poor in our church is nothing but looser, a goverment servent full of corruption throw money for church collection is praised by church
            leaders and a honest person only get criticisms. When the society and church move to prosperousy theology it is not surprising members of church take a step forward and join the pentacostal groups which preach prosperousy theology in a great deal.

            I have very good friend who is a real pentocost person (not like normal pentacost who always try to bombard you with greatness of their church but don't accept criticisms). We have very good meaningful debates. Society and church is running to wealth, i hate to say its a great pain many of our priests also turing in to money grabing monsters.

            If we start from the top and teach churh members what is real orthodox faith and chrisiians are here to struggle and find satisfaction and happines in what they got we will manage to keep the real faithfuls. I am sure we still loose members but what we got left will be real orthodox christians.

            Kochumon Mannichery
            member Id # 1019

            - In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Sjoe Thomas wrote:

            > An article in the Tehelka newsmagazine on people moving away from
            > traditional Churches (including ours) to new-age groups:
          • Jose
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 27, 2007
              Thank you, Sajy.

              I am really glad about your concern and zealousness. You are absolutely right about the situation. People are coming to the church alright, but these days majority of them complain that they are not receiving anything. I see that those who complain have an honest thirst for receiving God in its fullness into their life.

              Every human being on the face of the earth are looking for peace, love, healing, care and recognition. Only God can provide it. How do we get it? We get it only through doing God's will, having good fellowship, worship, prayer, and glorifying. We go to church for all of these. But what we see there are evil motives, politics, legal battles and gossip from bottom up.

              I truly believe "Poverty of Love" is a major issue among us in the church these days. Does anyone among us or in the spiritual leadership can visualize it and do something about it? If we can recognize it, what can we do about it? That is when we surf through the "Holy Book" to find answers. From beginning to end in the Bible, we can see the Love of the Lord. It can very well teach us how to love others and how to be loved. It teaches us how to share and care. We sure can start heaven here on earth making God's task a bit easy.

              Jesus said " I am the way, truth, and life". Every member of the traditional churches has to re-unite in Christ and stand up for Christ to fight His war against the enemy. When Jesus is in us we become way, truth, and life. We need to get filled with Holy Spirit and become fire for Christ our savior. We should be willing to sacrifice some for an honorable cause. We do not have time to waste our valuable time in wicked ways of this world.� We need to learn, teach, love, and encourage others in their journey to eternity. We need to be concerned about our destiny and at the same time about our brothers' destiny. We can't be like 'Cain' who asked God "am I my brother's keeper"?

              Churches and its spiritual leaders do not have time to concentrate on uplifting the sheeps and nourishing them with spiritual ingredients. They spent more time in material things of this world and seek honor for themselves. Moses stood between the people of Israel and the God of Israel. Our church leaders ask the sheeps for guidance and compromise spiritual matters according to the comforts and convenience of the people of this world. I think in the book of Jeremiah, God says the Prophets prophesize falsely, and the Priests like it, but what you, the people will do at the end? Our leadership needs to seek guidance from above to be good Shepherds.

              One time at a climax, Moses told God "if your presence does not come with us, take my name out of your book (Book of Life)". Oh! The loving FATHER IN HEAVEN truly and truly honored the stand of Moses. How many of our Church leaders today are like Moses? Moses was obedient to Father God and God resolved all their issues of the time. I believe the same very God is alive today to help us resolve all our problems and bring us back on track. Let us all please yield to Him.

              We are in a time period where we need to be on track in a hurry and be at the core of the church. We need to flood the church with spiritual activities such as fellowships, prayer meetings, and youth meetings, adults for men and women, and celebrations on all special occasions. In every gathering we should make our "FATHER GOD" as chief guest. Then we can see the whole Kingdom with us. Then there won't be any room for fighting, arguing, drinking, and any such things of evil nature. If we let our God given wisdom do the work for us, then we will be able to see amazing things along with blessings from above shower upon us. Solomon's wisdom is in all of us. Let us come together, sit down in the presence of the Lord and discuss projects of spiritual nature for our future. Let us all pray for unity among us and begin to work together after putting away all the disputes and differences. Let us all start rejoicing and glorifying the mighty Provider by talking or giving testimonies of His great miraculous favors in our life.

              I am tickled and excited about Sajy's concern and care for the loosing generations of the traditional churches. Together we can do a lot for the generation and let us pray to God to open the way. I do not like to point finger at any denomination or church. Everybody preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ. So there is no way we can blame any church. But we need to grow spiritually and have the vision of eternity. Whatever it takes, we all need to get there to enjoy the wedding and be with our bridegroom.

              Please be not offended with my thoughts because I respect everybody and all are my brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, or children.

              With prayers not to offend anyone,

              Jose (US)
              Moderators Note:

              Please sign your message with the ID number. If you haven't obtained it so far, please send us your details like Full Name, present church, contact nos etc., in order to allocate a member id, before posting any more messages in the forum.