Re:File - Directory of SOC Clergy

  • Fr. Joy Kalappurayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2007
      Dearly beloved,

      Your attempt to publish a clergy directory is good. But, have you ever thought the danger behind this online exposure? Before I go further, let me ask you this. Do you provide your personal information including date of birth if I want to publish it on the web? It is very easy for the hackers. You are making their job very easy. I think you or the group is not aware of Internet Security, identity theft. phishing etc. There are already lots of victims of identity theft all over the place.

      Our church people are so much dedicated to our church and so kind. So
      many websites are out there. Which one is our official website and what information is authoritative? I don't know who authorize these people to build these websites.

      This is really very good information you are asking. First Name, Last Name, Middle, Family Name, Date of Birth, e-mail ID, place of birth and don't you want phone number?. What else the hackers need. You are really helping clergy and the church.

      Thanks
      God bless
      Fr. Joy Kalappurayil
      St. Mary's Syrian Orthodox Church Washington D.C

      From the desk of the moderators.

      We thank you very much for pointing out the possible misuse of the personal information and your advice.

      As we clearly mentioned in the home page of this discussion forum, the Forum is not representing the official stand of the church and by no means claims any official recognition of the church authorities, even though the Owner and Moderators owe allegiance to the hierarchy of the Universal Syriac Orthodox Church, as well as many Bishops of our Church are members and actively participating in the discussions.

      As several people informed us that the forum is useful to many in their search for our own Churches in the locality where they migrates, we are keeping several database to support the members. Access to many database is restricted to public and this information about the clergy is also kept in a restricted database, which can be accessed only by the moderators of this forum.

      All activities undertaken under this forum banner is purely based on voluntary contribution and goodwill of the community and not by any compulsion. The members of the forum has the full freedom to cooperate or non-cooperate with us at their own discretion.