Rev Fr Paulos Iskander Benham: Remembering a Martyr from 2006!

  • Anup Kuruvilla Vazhayil
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2007
      October 11, 2007 is the first anniversary of the martyrdom of Rev Fr
      Paulos Iskandar Benham, one of the Syriac Orthodox priests in the
      Archdiocese of Mosul. Iraqi Muslim insurgents had abducted Fr Iskander some ten days prior & had demanded a high ransom. The insurgent's demand also included public repudiation of Pope Benedict XVI's remarks about Islam. The repudiation was made and the ransom arranged, but the insurgents killed Fr Iskander all the same. The manner of this Holy Priests killing was most brutal and gruesome, and one can only imagine the pain he would have suffered.

      Let us join together in praying for the soul of this Martyr.

      More on Fr Iskander can be read at the following links:

      http://www.christiansofiraq.com/beheadcot.14.6.html
      http://www.soc-wus.org/patriarchate/news%202007.htm
      (please scroll down the page for this news item)

      Orthodox Christians continue to suffer on account of their faith, and
      die regularly in Iraq. A detailed description of what happened to Fr.
      Ragheed Ganni, a Chaldean Catholic priest and three deacons can be read at

      http://benedicamusdomino.typepad.com/benedicamus_domino/2007/07/the-mart\yr-of-m.html

      Perhaps, we can use this anniversary of Fr Iskander's martyrdom to
      remember all the Christians in Iraq who have died for their faith or are enduring deep suffering.

      In His Service,

      Anup Kuruvilla Vazhayil

      Boston, USA
      # 2371
    • Anup Kuruvilla Vazhayil
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2007
        The link to the write up on Fr Ragheed Ganni and the three deacons that did not work in the first posting is provided again.

        http://benedicamusdomino.typepad.com/benedicamus_domino/2007/07/the-mart\
        yr-of-m.html
        <http://benedicamusdomino.typepad.com/benedicamus_domino/2007/07/the-mar\
        tyr-of-m.html>

        Alternate Link:

        http://www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_07_02/buchanan.html
        <http://www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_07_02/buchanan.html>

        Thank you.

        Anup Kuruvilla

        Member # 2371

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Anup Kuruvilla Vazhayil wrote:

        > October 11, 2007 is the first anniversary of the martyrdom of Rev Fr
        > Paulos Iskandar Benham, one of the Syriac Orthodox priests in the
        > Archdiocese of Mosul. Iraqi Muslim insurgents had abducted Fr Iskander
        some ten days prior & had demanded a high ransom. The insurgent's demand
        also included public repudiation of Pope Benedict XVI's remarks about
        Islam. The repudiation was made and the ransom arranged, but the
        insurgents killed Fr Iskander all the same. The manner of this Holy
        Priests killing was most brutal and gruesome, and one can only imagine
        the pain he would have suffered.

        > Let us join together in praying for the soul of this Martyr.
        >
        > More on Fr Iskander can be read at the following links:
        >
        > http://www.christiansofiraq.com/beheadcot.14.6.html
        > http://www.soc-wus.org/patriarchate/news%202007.htm
        > (please scroll down the page for this news item)
        >
        > Orthodox Christians continue to suffer on account of their faith, and
        > die regularly in Iraq. A detailed description of what happened to Fr.
        > Ragheed Ganni, a Chaldean Catholic priest and three deacons can be
        read at

        http://benedicamusdomino.typepad.com/benedicamus_domino/2007/07/the-mart\
        \yr-of-m.html

        > Perhaps, we can use this anniversary of Fr Iskander's martyrdom to
        > remember all the Christians in Iraq who have died for their faith or
        are enduring deep suffering.
      • BIBU PHILIP MATTHEW
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2007
          But our leadership in India has failed to inform about martyrdom of Fr.Iskander to ordinary people in kerala,they never organised prayer for suffering Iraqi christians in various kerala church,only few people of kerala who has membership in forum knows about martyrdom,but the keralite Jacobite bishops have ignored it,unfortunately,even now majority Kerala Jacobites does not know about Fr.Iskandser's martyrdom and sufferings of Iraqi christians.

          Bibu Philip Matthew;
          Vayaliparambil Pynadath

          Moderators Note:

          Please quote your membership id # in all your future messages.