Re:Correct Use - Rabban?

  • Rev. Dn. Bennet Kuriakose
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2007
      The correct word is Rabban itself....meaning 'My Teacher' or as in Aramic- Rabbooni......

      We just follow Ramban itslef....no problem in that...Ramban has become a Malayalam usage as 'Sooprand' for 'Superintendent' or 'Aashupathri' for 'Hospital'.....our language is not strict in that....we can use any of them if we know what we want to convey......

      Dn. Bennet Kuriakose
      3281
    • Shinu Jesus Abraham
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
        Barekmore Thirumeni

        Thanks for the very detailed clarification and thanks to Bennet
        Shemmachen for the logical thoughts.

        Requesting prayers

        Shinu Jesus Abraham
        Member # 2908
      • Dr. Thomas Joseph
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2007
          I see that this question has received thoughtful responses from H.E.
          Mor Athanasius Geevargis and others. I would like to provide some
          additional context.

          The term Rabban precedes monasticism in the Syriac Church, which
          arrived from Egypt only in the late 4th cent. Bishop Jacob of
          Nisibis is know to have founded a school in Edessa in the early 4th
          cent. where the Head of the school was called Rabban and he also
          occupied the chief exegete's chair (kursyo da-mpassqono). The chief
          disciplinary official as well as the librarian was the Steward
          (rabbayto). The school had other academic positions such as maqryono
          (instructor in liturgical reading)m, mhaggyono (elementary reading
          master) and badoqo (researcher, apparently in secular subjects). The
          students were called eskolaye (from the Greek schola). Mor Ephrem
          the Syrian was a mpassqono (Exegete) at this school. (See Robert
          Murray, Symbols of Church and Kingdom, [1975, Gorgias reprint 2004,
          p. 23]).

          Rabban is very likely to have later been associated with the
          monastic schools and then generally applied to any monk. Today
          Rabban typically denotes an ordained priest-monk. Novitiates are
          called sharwoye and the general term for monks irrespective of their
          ecclesiastical rank is dayroyo (inhabitant of a dayro - monastery).

          Even though in Syriac, today we write Raban (reesh beth nun) with a
          single beth, we know that the beth was in early Syriac doubled, i.e.
          Rab-ban. Even though it is written with a single beth, it is
          pronounced with hard spirantization (qushoyo); otherwise a beth
          preceded by a vowel would be pronounced soft (rukhokho). (See George
          Kiraz, Introduction to Syriac Spirantization, Barhebraeaus Verlag,
          Holland, 1995).

          Curiously, where such doubling occurs, in Malayalam, the beth is
          corrupted as "mb". Ramban is an example. Another is qambel for
          qabbel (accept).

          PS: At the N. American Syriac Symposium at Princeton in 2003, a Syro-
          Malabar priest presented a choir that sang many East Syriac songs.
          He also had the songs recorded on a CD which was on sale. On
          noticing the mis-transliterated Syriac title of the CD (Qambel
          Moran), Prof John Healey (Manchester Univ, and author of the First
          Studies in Syriac, Gorgias Press, 2005) remarked to a few of us that
          even though the Indian Syriac music was good, due to philological
          reasons he could not buy the CD!)

          Rgds,
          Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
          Web Master, Syriac Orthodox Resources [ http://sor.cua.edu/ ]
          Tech. Editor, Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies [
          http://bethmardutho.cua.edu/Hugoye/ ]
          ID: 0202

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Shinu Jesus Abraham wrote:

          > Greetings to All
          >
          > What is the correct name - Rabban or Ramban in syriac language? If
          it is Rabban why do we follow is as Ramban?

          > Shinu Jesus Abraham
          > Member ID # 2908
        • Shinu Jesus Abraham
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007