Meeting Together

  • Saju C.Varghese
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2007
      Greetings!

      Meeting Together

      HEBREWS 10:25
      25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

      While the Bible does warn us, in the above verse, not to forsake meeting together with other believers, it never tells us how often we should meet. Neither does it say when or where we should meet.

      When we meet together, God did not intend for it to be just a ritual, but something beneficial.

      It should be a time of fellowship, learning, sharing, giving, receiving, and spiritual encouragement. A time to build one another up by what the other members of the body supply.

      It is also high time to think/review about our FAITH that where we stand? or whether we procting our traditional FAITH for our future generations? Whether we are following our traditional faith together or we are wrongly stand with others who is more selfishness/selfmotive. Some time we happend to be in wrong path due to no knowledge/interest. Therefore, it is time to wake up.

      1 CORINTHIANS 14:26 KJV
      26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

      Although nothing is more important than receiving teaching to help us understand and act on God's Word, that should not be the only reason we meet together.

      When the Bible was written, the only way to hear anointed teaching of the Word was to physically gather together when a Bible teacher was present. But today we are not limited to a time or place, because of recorded media.

      The reason for meeting together as believers is more than just to listen to someone else "preach" to you. You need to become involved.

      A true "church meeting" does not require a large number of people. In fact, a smaller group is often best, as it is easier to share what you have and offer spiritual encouragement to others, as well as receive it yourself.

      MATTHEW 18:20 KJV
      20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

      Even two believers discussing the Word during their lunch break is a valid expression of a "church meeting" according to this verse. Jesus promised us, as individual believers, He would never leave us. So, clearly this verse must mean Jesus expresses Himself in a special way, as members of His body meet together in His Name.

      The New Testament refers often to believers meeting in their homes. There is no reason believers cannot meet anywhere: on a commute to work, at a restaurant, at an office, or even in a church building. The Bible sets no limitations.

      Of course it is absolutely vital to regularly feed on teaching from God's Word to stay built up spiritually. But today, that can be accomplished anywhere and anytime.

      But too many believers stop with only being fed the Word. They never share and interact with others. So they don't grow and develop as they should. You always learn better and receive more when you share what you have already received.

      No one knows everything. But we all have something to contribute. You don't have to be a super-saint to be involved with others. You can meet with another believer (or maybe a few others): a friend, neighbor, or family member. Just discuss the Word. Ask a question if you have one. Share an insight if you have one. Maybe pray for one another. Things like this are the reason to not forsake meeting together.

      If your church-going is just a ritual, and all you get out of it is no more than what you could get at home, then changes need to be made. But please, do not fall into the trap of criticizing others for what they do, or do not do.

      Saju C.Varghese
      New DelhiĀ
    • Jose
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2007
        I am new to this forum, but?it feels like the meeting of Joseph and Benjamin.

        Genesis 43:16 When Joseph saw Benjamin with them, he said to the steward of his house, "Take these men to my home, and slaughter and animal and make ready; for these men will dine with me at noon."

        It is so awesome to see a huge network of own people standing up for Christ to express and share their spiritual insight to nourish and strengthen each other. I think every one of us would feel like John the Apostle wrote in his 3rd Epistle Verse 4: I have no greater "joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."

        I think very positive about Saju's comments and it was an interesting insight. But I like to shed more light to it by adding?couple of?more verses.

        Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, "not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

        Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.

        I believe this forum?provides a stage for?fellowship and fellowship is a must for spiritual growth and strength. Church gathering is to offer our sacrifices by worshipping in truth and spirit. If that is not happening, Church gathering may be seen as a stage for the longing soul to initiate or ignite the fire of the Holy Spirit with the power acquired from above.

        Just like Saju said: if we can just stand up for Christ, plenty of opportunities would come our way for us to learn, teach, and share about the Kingdom of God and grow spiritually.

        With humble prayers not to offend anyone,

        God bless

        Jose (US)
        From the desk of the Moderator:

        (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com)and obtain a member ID before posting any more messages in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation