Devotional thoughts for 1s Sunday after the feast of Transfiguration

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2007
      Devotional thoughts for 1s Sunday after the feast of Transfiguration

      Reading: From the Gospel according to: St.Matthew21:28-32

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      Our Lord is teaching us a great lesson of doing the will of the Father
      through the ordinary and simple parable. He said: a certain man had two
      sons. He came to his first son and asked him to go the vineyard and work a
      full day. First of all the son denied the request and later he repented. The
      first son went to the field and worked as his father longed from him. The
      father went to the second son and requested the same. On hearing his father,
      the second son said: "yes Dad, I will go to the field and work from now
      onwards." But he did not turn that side. Here our Lord is asking: who has
      done the will of the father? The answer was given by the listeners without
      much delay. They were of a single opinion that the first son had done the
      will of their father.

      Immediately our Lord said "Verily I say unto you, that the publicans and the
      harlots go into the kingdom of God before you." (Verse 31) We might also
      wonder why our Lord was very harsh and hard in replying so. But when we
      would read and listen the next verse we will realize the reason for our
      Lord's worry. Our Lord himself explains: when John came unto you in the way
      of righteousness and you did not believe him. But the publicans and the
      harlots believed him. And when you had seen it you did not repent and you
      did not try to believe him." In St. Luke 7:29 we read "And all the people
      that heard him and the publicans justified God being baptized with the
      baptism of John".

      St. John's only message was an exhortation to 'repent because the Kingdom of
      God is at hand'. (St. Mathew 3:2) Those who believed St. John and his timely
      exhortations repented well and they got forgiveness for their sins. They all
      got united to God through the baptism given by St. John. Our Lord is telling
      about the who got baptized.

      Now let us think about ourselves. We all were once united to God Almighty
      through the baptism. Through the baptism, we died with Christ, we were
      buried with Christ and we all rose from the dead. (When the infant is
      immersed in the water of the baptism tub, the candidate undergoes the
      physical death and burial with Lord Jesus and when the celebrant would lift
      up the child from the water, it undergoes the resurrection with Lord Jesus,
      as explained by St. Paul in his epistle to Romans 6th chapter)

      And still are we in Lord Jesus? We all are supposed to grow to the
      perfection of the salvation. Are we making use of the Sacraments for the
      spiritual nourishment of our souls? A proper and systematic sacramental life
      is the free gift of Lord Jesus to one and all members of the Holy Apostolic
      Church. As we are living in the world where chances are many to err and get
      away from God, we all are supposed to repent when we realize that we are
      away from our Lord God. In the Holy Church a proper established system is
      there for our repentance and forgiveness of our sins.

      We should not give a chance to our Lord God to say that publicans and
      harlots will inherit the kingdom of God before us. We must long for and try
      to be in the kingdom of God.

      We all are supposed to do the will of God in our daily lives. We must think
      and find out to whom we do often identify to the first son or the second son
      of the father about whom our Lord spoke. We often pretend to be good and
      obedient. So there is every chance for us to identify to the second son. But
      our Lord wants us all to be similar to the first son who rose to the
      circumstance and repented.

      Let us try to repent well, as and when we feel the need. Let us try to be
      with our Lord God always. May God bless us all.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.

      Live the life in style with MSN Lifestyle. Check out!
      http://content.msn.co.in/Lifestyle/Default