Re: Question: Gospel of Luke, Chapter 18, verse 19

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2002
      Hello Mathew George,

      I'm neither an elder nor a father, but I'd like to help contribute
      with an answer if you wouldn't mind.

      If people ask you if that verse is a testimony that Jesus isn't God,
      ask them "why?" Jesus doesn't deny being good; in fact I would
      suggest (though it is not my place to interpret the scriptures), that
      He is trying to hammer down the notion that He is indeed God to
      someone who doesn't understand that yet.

      You can also mention John 10:11;14 to the person who asks you this.
      In these verses, Jesus twice calls Himself "Good."

      I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the
      sheep.
      John 10:11

      I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me, as the
      Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the
      sheep.
      John 10:14-15

      Anyway, those are just some notes. I'm sure there are much more
      profound things to be said on this topic.

      in Christ,
      Mike

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@y..., Mathew George wrote:
      > Gospel of Luke, Chapter 18, verse 19 reads as follows (New King
      James