Syriac Charms or Prayers of Protection: From Shroro

  • Rev. Fr. Dale A. Johnson
    Message 1 of 1469 , May 1 3:41 PM
      Once when I was conducting the Divine Liturgy in Syriac in the little
      village of Gunduk Shukro, a woman rushed to the foot of the altar and
      begged me to take something from her hands. She explained that she
      wanted me to place two pieces of lead on the altar and after the
      service to return them to her. She explained that she would take them
      home and put them under a pillow to help cure a sickness (perhaps a
      migraine headache). The goodness of the prayers would be absorbed by
      the lead. It was not the first time I had seen lead used to invoke
      the immune response in a person. I had seen in a display at the
      University of Chicago a piece of lead with a Syriac charm written on
      it to ward off evil and gunfire.

      For the full text of this article, please visit:
      http://www.socdigest.org/articles/01may07.html

      http://www.socdigest.org
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1469 of 1469 , Nov 18, 2007
        Dear All in Christ
        Barekmore / Shlomo

        We, Malankara Jacobite Internet Platform (http://www.socmnet.org), Syriac
        Orthodox Resources (http://www.sor.cua.edu) and Malankara Syriac Christian
        Resource (http://www.syrianchurch.org/) together are compiling the following
        informations to publish an online directory of Syriac orthodox Clergy.

        Please note that this project is not based on any official church directives.

        We request each and every one of our forum members to request all clergy you
        know, to provide the informations on the following format along with a
        photograph of the clergy, to soc.clergylist@... . If you are a third
        party providing these informations, then you must have clear consent from
        clergy.

        First Name:-
        Middle Name:-
        Last Name:-
        Family Name:-

        Nationality:-
        Place of Birth:-
        Date of Birth & Age:-
        Present Diocese:-
        Home parish:-
        Present parish:-

        Ordination date:
        Ordained by:
        Present Clergy Status:-
        (Mzamrono / Qoruyo / Apodiakno / Mshamshono / Archdeacon/ Qashisho /
        Sharwoyo /Dayroyo / Rabban / Cor episcopos)

        Do you have Professional and/or Decorative titles? Yes or No:-
        If yes, what is the Profession? (Dr. / Eng. / Prof. etc):-

        Email Id:-
        Contact Tel. number:-
        Postal address:-

        Any additional information to be published on line:-

        Be with us and be part of us

        In HIS Love
        Webmasters & Moderators