Devotional thoughts for 3rd Sunday after New Sunday 6th May 07

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 3364 , May 5 8:21 PM
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Luke 24: 13-35

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      In today�s reading we study about our Lord�s appearance to the two Apostles who went to Emmaus. Though the purpose of their trip to the place, which is about threescore furlongs away from Jerusalem, is not given, a brief description about their talk on their way to the destination is given in the Gospel. As mentioned in verse 14, they talked together of all things which had happened. By the time our Lord came near to them and walked with them. This makes us sure and certain that our Lord will not leave us also alone. He will be with us always, whenever and wherever we might move. His intention is to grant us comfort, peace and happiness and nothing else. But unfortunately as their eyes were held from the view, they could not notice who was walking with them. (Read St. John 20:14 and 21:4)

      In verse 21 we read the testimony of the two disciples who traveled to Emmaus. They say, �We trusted that he should have redeemed Israel.� We must search ourselves in our minds to see what our trust about Lord Jesus is. Self-centered individuals will definitely forget the truth that Lord Jesus is our Redeemer and Savior. We could easily confess our faith in our Savior and Redeemer, when we would pray the Trisagion. When we would recite �Holy art thou o God, Holy art thou Almighty, Holy art thou immortal, we could say in mind that Lord you are my Redeemer. Kindly have mercy upon me. We find a
      similar type of question as the one asked by the disciples, in Acts of the Apostles 1:6, where they ask �Lord will thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel.� From this question we can learn three things.

      1) They had staunch faith that Lord God initially installed the Kingdom of Israel.
      2) Lord Jesus had the right to re-install the kingdom of Israel.
      3) They had thorough knowledge of the prophecies in Isaiah 1:26, Daniel 7:27 and Amos 9: 11.

      In verse 27 we hear about our Lord�s explanations about the prophecies about Him by Moses in Genesis 3:15, 22:18, 26:4, 49:10, Numbers 21:9 and Deuteronomy 18: 15 and by many others in Psalms 16:9, Psalms 22, Psalms 132:11, Isaiah 7:14, 9:6, 40:10, 50:6, 53, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:14, Ezekiel 34:23, 37:25, Daniel 9:24, Micah 7:20, Malachi 3:1, and Malachi 4:2.

      Let us meditate on verse 30. �And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and broke and gave them.� It was the celebration of the Holy Eucharist. See the next sentence of today�s reading. �And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight�. St. Luke is telling us that as soon as the disciples accepted the Holy Eucharist, their eyes were opened. And they realized who he was. Since long we are partaking the Holy Eucharist. Were we able to identify our Lord so far? Are we still able to ascertain Lord Jesus as our Savior? Why our eyes are still closed or why we cannot see our Lord Jesus as the disciples
      saw Him? We all know the answers. We are sure about it. But still the pride of our minds does not allow us to look for the remedy. During the Holy Eucharist, we listen to the exhortation of the celebrant �Now our minds and thoughts must be on the right hand side of God the Father, where our Lord Jesus is seated� (�ee Samayathu nammude Bhodhangalum vichaarangalum Pithaavaam daivathinte valathu Bhagathu Missiha Thampuran irikkunna Mahonnathangalil aayirikkanam�, we all utter the prescribed reply to it. And ignore what we spoke immediately. If we continue the same sort of spiritual exercise, our eyes would remain closed forever. We cannot dream of seeing our Lord if we do not change the way in which we handle the spiritual matters.

      In verse 33 we read that those two disciples rushed back to Jerusalem and they went to the Apostles. If we were in their place, how we would have responded. It is needless to say that we would have convened a press conference and the secret would have been disclosed as our own achievement. There were some other faithful also with the eleven Apostles. They said, �The Lord is risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon�. They were exchanging the happy news with the less fortunate to witness the audience of the Lord. As long as we celebrate Easter, it is our duty to convey the message of Easter to the ones who seldom know it. We must tell such people that our Lord is risen indeed.

      In verse 47 we find our Lord authorizing the Apostles to convey the
      exhortation for repentance and the message of the remission of sins among all nations. God Almighty allowed our forefathers as well as us to remain as a Church in India from the very first days of Christianity. Now let us make sure ourselves, how much we were active in obeying our Lord�s instructions and orders. Let our Church grant prime importance to obey our Lord and to convey the news of remission of sins.

      May God bless us all and make use of us for His wise plans and schemes.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 3364 of 3364 , May 1 5:25 AM
        Dear honorable members