Chor-Episcopa in our Jacobite Church

  • CJ Varughese
    Message 1 of 3363 , May 4, 2007
      Dear All,

      Praise the LORD.

      It is very interesting to bring to all my Fellow Jacobites an interesting incident very recently happened in my life. It is not a story, a real life situation, which I could witness last week. The narration is like a story, but a real-life incident.

      A boy from the Orthodox Church and a girl from Jacobite Church - met through net, and both were very much closer through the electronic media, and finally decided to tie the knot with their parents permission. Both their families were informed of their wish, and got a gree signal orally to their respective wards. Their parents never contacted each other. Finally the girls parents decided to break the silence, and requested me also to be with them while they talk to the boy's parents, and hence I got this chance to overheard their conversation. After lots of pleasantries, the girl father told to the boys father for a meeting at a mutually convenient time, and it was mutually agreed upon. And then the respective mothers came into the line. Finally the boy's mother started giving details about her parents, brothers, sisters,etc. During this time I could hear that - one of her (boy's mother) sister is settled in H'bad, and her husband is a Chor-Episcopa in our Church, emphasize given that Jacobite. Since I know, it is not Jacobite, but only Orthodox, I requested the girl's mother whether it is Jacobite or Orthodox. Then it was cleared that it is Orthodox, not Jacobite.

      Since then I wonder the propaganda and tall claim of the IOC hasn't reached to the grass root. Still the poor layman proclaim themselves as JACOBITES, not as Orthodox. Even after a hundred year's of their insisent ground work, the IOC did not find success in eliminating the feeling of JACOBITE from the minds of the poor Malankarites, who happened to be in their fold. They could only make a smoke-screen of Orthodoxism of Indian Style just by claiming on paper that they are INDIAN ORTHODOX an independent church, but indebted to the Jacobite Syrian Church. Recently I have the opportunity to go through one of their Malankara Sabhadeepam, wherein in they published the Mavelikara Padiyola, the original document written in the Palliyogam held in Mavelikkara in early part of 19th century, proclaiming that we are the followers of the Jacobite Syrian Church, headquartered in Antioch, and reigned by the HH Patriarch. Barring a few minority leaders in every Orthodox Church, still the layman uphold the rich Jacobite Syrian heritage. In another article published in Almayavedi it was written that one of their candidate who ran for the Church Secretary's position garlanded HH Patriarch while HH was given a rousing welcom at Cochin recently, and hence he is likely to be lost in the run. Why an IOC stalwart went to such an extent to garland HH? What prompted him to do that? No explanation is required for such behaviour of an innocent Syrian Christian. Just a membership in an IO Church never ever prevent a faithful in giving respect to HH, the Supreme Head of the Universal Syrian Church.

      What else we need? In the inner hearts of the Malankarites, the reverence for HH Patriarch, the feeling of a Jacobite Christian are still alive. We may or may not succeed in convincing the highest courts, but true faith still rule the hearts of Malankarites. Let us all rejoice now with the feeling that the hearts are ruled by the TRUTH AND GUIDED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT , not by MANMADE rules.

      With prayers,
      CJ Varughese
      Member ID 1012
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com