Mother of God? Part 6

  • SOCM-Moderator
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002
      Mother of God? Part 6

      From the second century onwards Church fathers had in no uncertain
      terms held that Christ, born from holy Virgin Mariam, assumed a body
      formed of the substance of her human essence.

      And was incarnate of the Holy Virgin Mary Mother of God, by the Holy
      Ghost and became man;... (Nicene Creed)

      St. Cyril of Alexandria (d. 444) in his paper titled "Against those
      who do not wish to confess that the Holy Virgin Mary is the Mother of
      God" wrote thus: "Jesus did not come into being as a simple man
      before the union and communion of God in Him; but the Word Himself
      coming into the Blessed Virgin herself assumed for Himself, His own
      temple from the substance of Virgin and came forth from her a man in
      all that could be externally discerned while interiorly He was true
      God". (ibd, Vol. III, Para 2133 P: 232)

      In Cyril's second Epistle to Nestorious, we read " … although He had
      his existence and was begotten from the Father before the ages, He is
      spoken of as begotten also after the flesh from a woman; not as
      though His divine nature received its beginning of existence in the
      holy Virgin… But when for our sakes and for our salvation the Word,
      having united humanity to Himself hypostatically, came forth from a
      woman, He is for this reason said to have been born after the flesh.."

      "Now, the Word becoming flesh is nothing else but that He partook of
      blood and flesh like us," and made His own a body which was taken
      from us and came forth a man from a woman; not laying aside His being
      God and His generation from God the Father but even in His assumption
      of flesh remaining what He was.

      "This (teaching) the statement of the correct faith everywhere sets
      forth. Thus we shall find the holy Fathers have been minded.
      Accordingly, they confidently called the holy Virgin Theotokos; not
      meaning that the Nature of word or His Godhead received its beginning
      from the holy Virgin, but that, in as much as His rationally animated
      body to which the Word was hypostatically united was born of her, He
      is said to have been born after the flesh." (Bindley, E D F P, P: 210-
      1)

      End of the series