News: Orthodox faction fomenting feud

  • Aji Thomas David
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2002
      `Orthodox faction fomenting feud'

      By Our Staff Reporter

      PATHANAMTHITTA Aug 7. The Antiochia Visvasa Samrakshana Samithy (AVSS)
      floated by the laity and clergy of the Jacobite Syrian Church has
      alleged that the Orthodox faction led by Moran Mar Baselius Marthoma
      Mathews-II, who was recently declared as the Malankara Metropolitan
      by the Supreme Court, was fomenting factional feud among the believers
      by trying to sabotage the receptions to Catholicos Thomas-I organised
      by the former in different parts of the State.

      Addressing a press conference here today, the AVSS president and the
      chief of the Manjanikkara Mor Ignathios Diara near Pathanamthitta said
      the reception to the Catholicos Thomas-I at Thiruvalla slated for
      August 25 has been postponed to September 22 following the alleged
      move by the Orthodox faction to make trouble there by organising
      another meeting there on the same day.

      The AVSS had to postpone similar receptions organised for the Catholicos
      Thomas-I at Adoor and various other places following the provocative
      attitude of the Orthodox faction at these places, the Metropolitan
      alleged. However, the AVSS leader said the Jacobite faction, which
      fully endorsed the supremacy of the Patriarch of Antioch, was duty-bound
      to protect the churches now in its control at any cost. Joseph Mar
      Osthathios alleged that the so-called Orthodox faction was trying to
      create troubles by misleading the people and authorities through
      spreading false interpretation of the Supreme Court order.

      He said the apex court had upheld the Patriarch of Antioch as the
      supreme head of the Jacobite Church. Moreover, the Patriarch had never
      anointed Baselius Marthoma-II as the Catholicos of the East, the Diara
      chief said.

      He said the Manjanikara Mar Ignathios Diara and 27 other Simhasana
      churches were under the direct control of the Patriarch and the
      so-called Malankara Metropolitan had absolutely no power over them.

      Fr. E.T.John, T.V.Thomas, T.V.Punnose, Fr Paul Nallila,
      Mr Koshy P.George and A.J.Abraham also spoke.

      http://www.thehindu.com/stories/2002080803250300.htm