8144POLICE IN INDIA ARREST 7 CHURCH LEADERS FOR `FRAUDULENT CONVERSION'

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Apr 22, 2006
      POLICE IN INDIA ARREST 7 CHURCH LEADERS FOR `FRAUDULENT CONVERSION'

      Police backed by Hindu extremists arrested Avinash Lal, an independent
      Pentecostal pastor from Jabalpur in central India's Madhya Pradesh state and
      six other Christian leaders the night of Tuesday, April 18, on charges of
      "fraudulent conversion." They were released on bail at midnight, charged
      with "conversion by allurement" and "illegal religious gatherings." State
      police burst into the home of Pastor Lal around 8:30 p.m. When he tried
      telephoning for help, activists from the extremist Hindu group, Bajrang Dal,
      grabbed his mobile phone. "Police barged into our house, and in loud and
      threatening voices, they shouted abuses and began pounding the furniture
      with their batons," he
      said. "They slapped me while another policeman grabbed [another Christian
      leader] by his ears. All the while we could hear the loud ranting of the
      Bajrang Dal fundamentalists outside."

      Source: Compass Direct