770Contemplation Leads to Visions of the Divine Light

  • Thomas Daniel
    Jun 6, 2002

      Contemplation Leads to Visions of the Divine Light

      Syrian Orthodox prayers:

      Open to us, Lord, your great door, 0 Fountain of all mercy, hear our prayer and have mercy on our souls, Lord of the morning and ruler of all seasons, hear our prayer and have mercy on our souls. Shine upon me, Lord, and I shall be Light like the day; I will sing your praise in Light while I marvel; may the morning awaken me to the praise of your Godhead and I will pursue the study of your word all the day long. With the day may your Light shine on our thoughts and may it drive away the shadows of error from our souls. The creation is full of Light, give Light also to our hearts that they may praise you with the day and the night.

      Rise up, 0 Children of Light, and let us give glory to the Lord who alone can save our souls. 0 Lord, as you withdraw sleep from the eyes of our body, grant us wakefulness of mind so that we may stand before you in awe and sing your praises worthily.

      Prayer of St. Augustine:

      I entered even into my inward self. Thou being my Guide and able as I was: for Thou were become my helper. And I entered and beheld with the Eye of my soul (such as it was), above the same eye of my soul above my mind, the Light Unchangeable. Not this ordinary light
      which all flesh may look upon, nor as it were a greater of the same kind, as though the brightness of this should be manifold brighter, and with its greatness take up all space. Not such was the Light but other, yea, far other from all these.... He that knows the Truth,
      knows what that Light is and he that knows It, knows Eternity.

      St. Basil:

      Absolutely unutterable and indescribable are the lightning-like splendors of Divine beauty; neither can speech express nor hearing apprehend. Shall we name the brilliance of the morning star, the brightness of the moon, the radiance of the sun? The glory of all these is unworthy of being compared with the true Light, standing farther from it than does the gloomiest night and the most terrible darkness from midday brightness. This beauty, invisible to bodily eyes, comprehensible to soul and mind only, if it illumines some of the saints, leaves in them an unbearable wound through their desire that this vision of Divine beauty should extend over an eternity of life.