3775Nineveh Lent: From The Lent Encyclical of His Holiness

  • SOCM Mmoderators
    Jan 31, 2004
      We seize the opportunity of the arrival of the Holy Lent for this
      year to listen carefully to the voice of God with which He called
      upon men through His prophets, especially Prophet Jonah. Following
      God's command, Jonah went to Nineveh and cried against it
      proclaiming that destruction, perdition and great tribulations were
      imminent; for the wickedness of its inhabitants had come up before
      the Lord. The people of Nineveh believed in God and proclaimed a
      fast and put on sackcloth, from the greatest to the least of them.
      They made ground their bed and heaven their cover. Shedding tears,
      they turned to God in repentance. And thus God had mercy upon them
      and they were delivered from destruction. They became an example for
      all penitents.

      "God, who spoke of old to the fathers by the prophets," says Apostle
      Paul, "has spoken to us by His beloved Son Jesus Christ" the Incarnate
      God, Whose birth we are celebrating at the close of the second or the
      beginning of the third millenium.. He is the Word of God Whom John
      the Apostle describes in the Holy Gospel saying, "In the beginning
      was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God... and
      the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, a
      glory as of the only Son from the Father full of grace and truth."
      (John 1:1&14). "For God so loved the world that He gave His only
      begotten Son so that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but
      have eternal life" (John 3:16). The Word of God was incarnate for
      our salvation and redeemed us by His death on the Cross and His
      resurrection from the dead. He began His loud, open, and corporeal
      mission by calling people to repentance saying, "The time is
      fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God is near; repent and believe in
      the Gospel" (Mark 1:15).

      From Lent Encyclical - February 12, 2000 of H.H Moran Mor Ignatius
      Zakka I Iwas
      http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/PZakka1/20000212MYBurdconoTheodora.html