25593Malankara World Journal Issue 224, Theme: Discipleship - Challenges and Sacrifice

  • Jacob Mathew
    Jun 20, 2014

      Malankara World Journal Issue 224, Theme: Discipleship - Challenges and Sacrifice (Jun 20, 2013)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 224 (June 20, 2013) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 224
      Theme: Discipleship - Challenges and Sacrifice

      1. Bible Readings for This Sunday (June 22)

      Bible Readings For Second Sunday After Pentecost
      http://www.MalankaraWorld.com/Library/Lectionary/Lec_2nd_sunday-after-pentecost.htm

      2. Sermons for This Sunday (June 22)

      Sermons For the Second Sunday After Pentecost
      http://www.Malankaraworld.com/Library/Sermons/Sermon-of-the-week_2nd-sunday-after-Pentecost.htm

      3. Inspiration for Today: Two Kinds of Peace

      There are two kinds of peace: experiential and judicial. Experiential peace (Philippians 4:7) is the day-to-day existence a believer can have -- or forfeit. ...

      4. Cost of Discipleship

      What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus Christ? In the first three centuries of Christianity's existence, following Jesus often quite literally entailed the kinds of conflicts that are delineated in today's gospel lesson. It could mean alienation from one's family; for Matthew's community in particular, it meant alienation from "members of one's own household" (Mt 10:36), i. e., one's fellow Jews who could not accept Jesus as bringing the law to fulfillment. Once systematic persecution by the Roman empire set in, the decision to be a Christian became a life-threatening one. It was a choice not entered into lightly. ...

      5. Battle Your Heart to Keep Jesus First

      "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34 NIV), Jesus said. For Jesus wages total war against the prince of this world, the enemy far worse than any Hitler or Kamikaze pilot. And you, dear friends, are on the front lines of this war. You could find a kind of peace by appeasing the prince of this world and surrendering to him. Or you could keep on following Jesus, though it is a daily battle of conflict and lose. ...

      6. Discipleship, Conflict and Peace

      Those Christians who loudly proclaim the church's endorsement of "family values" must surely have difficulty with this Sunday's gospel text, " I have come to set a man against his own father, and a daughter against her mother. Anyone who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me." This harsh teaching complements in difficulty the story of the sacrifice of Isaac, found in the Old Testament. Anyone who loves a son or daughter more than God is evidently not worthy, either. ...

      7. You Can Do This

      Christians can sometime have the same problem when it comes to their faith. We keep telling ourselves we are not ready, that we need just a little more time to prepare ourselves. We underestimate our ability to be of service to God. Take a moment to read this excerpt from the book of Acts. ...

      8. Whom Will You Serve?

      We must make a choice. God has chosen to save all men, but not everyone will come to Him. Those who do will immediately be saved and will spend eternity enjoying the love and intimate devotion of our Heavenly Father. Those who don't will spend an eternity separated from Him. ...

      9. Our Readiness When God Calls

      When God speaks, many of us are like people in a fog, and we give no answer. Moses' reply to God revealed that he knew where he was and that he was ready. Readiness means having a right relationship to God and having the knowledge of where we are. We are so busy telling God where we would like to go. Yet the man or woman who is ready for God and His work is the one who receives the prize when the summons comes. ...

      10. Recipe: Mutton Korma

      A great North Indian delicacy.

      11. Family Special: Confirmed by Others

      As we mature in our natural and spiritual lives, God uses our parents, teachers, uncles, coaches and priests to affirm the gifts and callings that are on our lives. At the time, it often seems like these people are trying to get in the way of what we want to do. However, God uses authority figures to provide key direction during the early teen and twenty-something years. He is using these people to help guide us to the ultimate destiny He has for our lives. ...

      12. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World