25574Malankara World Journal Issue 223, Theme: Father's Day Special

  • Jacob Mathew
    Jun 12, 2014
      Malankara World Journal Issue 223, Theme: Father's Day Special (June 12, 2014)

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 223 (June 12, 2014) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 223
      Father's Day Special

      1. Foreword: Father's Day

      Sunday, June 15, 2014, is celebrated as "Father's Day" in U.S. Father's Day has become a global event thanks to the advent of the Internet and the shrinking of the world. We may recall that Sunday, May 11, 2014 was celebrated as the "Mother's Day."
      The idea for creating a day for children to honor their fathers began in Spokane, Washington. ...

      2. Bible Readings for This Sunday (June 15)

      Bible Readings For First Sunday After Pentecost

      3. Sermons for This Sunday (June 15)

      Sermons for the First Sunday After Pentecost

      4. Reflections on the Gospel Reading for Sunday - "The Bread of Life"

      "What does it mean to pray for our daily bread?"

      The Lord's Prayer, the prayer Jesus used to instruct His followers how to pray, is well known among Christians. Many recite it in unison as a form of liturgy; others meditate on each portion in their private time with God or view it is a model of the components of prayer. The prayer is recorded in Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:2-4. One portion of the prayer says, "Give us today our daily bread" (Matthew 6:11). ...

      5. Inspiration for Today: The Best Dad

      Feeling appreciated is enormously important to adults as well as children. So much so that we often don't think enough about what we'd most like to be appreciated for. ...

      6. Priests of the Domestic Church: A Father's Day Homily

      Just as Jesus called laborers into the field to reap an abundant harvest of souls, He calls husbands and fathers who are lost to use the navigational tools of prayer, forgiveness, and mercy to find our way back to our Father in heaven. Just as Jesus called men to the priesthood to serve His Bride the Church, the same Jesus calls men through baptism to be priests of the domestic church, the church of the home. ...

      7. Father's Day: The Model Father

      Is there any model (for fatherhood)? The answer is yes .... and no. There is no such thing as a perfect human father. Some do it better than others, and, as a result, this comes easier for them. None of us is perfect. I try hard to be a good father, and I fail. But I am not giving up. As a Christian, I know I can't do it perfectly. But I do have a model. ...

      8. Tribute to a Faithful Father

      Here is a fragment of the legacy of truth imparted to me by my father. And I hope that you will see before we are done that the word "imparted" is no mere transmission of information, but involves a whole life of demonstration of what he taught. I will mention eleven precious truths imparted to me by my father. ...

      9. Our Father in Heaven

      The Bible calls Him God the Father. We are called His children and are encouraged to approach Him with the heart of a child, trusting unreservedly and expecting good things. Our earthly fathers are meant to be a reflection of our Father in Heaven. ...

      10. A Father's Sacrifice

      Fathers have an immeasurable impact on the lives of their children. Always believe in your children. Help them to understand the cost of sacrifice and how it is given as an act of love - the greatest being God's sacrifice to us through His Son. ...

      11. The Image of The Father

      Each one of us is created with the image of God indelibly imprinted on our souls, so that, in some miraculous and inexplicable way, the diverse expressions of God that are you and you and you and me all come together to illustrate the mystery, to live together in community as we do our best to display for the world all the possibilities that the divine imprint on all of us could mean. ...

      12. The Good Dad: Your Kids Want You

      It's no wonder that 92 percent of those polled by the National Center for Fathering say that dads make a "unique contribution" in their children's lives, and that 70 percent see absentee dads as the biggest family or social problem in America. So what do we do about it? ...

      13. A Prayer for Fathers

      14. Poem: Daddy

      ....Then God combined these qualities,
      When there was nothing more to add,
      He knew His masterpiece was complete,
      And so, He called it ... DADDY!

      15. Recipe: Glazed Carrots

      A simple, but elegant, recipe. Can be used as a snack or as a side dish. Great for picnics.

      16. Family Special: Rules to Live By in Marriage

      The best way to prevent problems in your marriage, I believe, is to set rules for yourself and live by them. Without them – without safeguards to protect your marriage – it's sure to become a much weaker version of what it set out to be. ...

      17. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World