25485Malankara World Journal Issue 216, National Day of Prayer, May 1, 2014 - Special

  • Jacob Mathew
    Apr 30, 2014

      Malankara World Journal Issue 216, National Day of Prayer, May 1, 2014 - Special

      The Malankara World Journal Issue 216 (Apr 30, 2014) is available online at:

      TABLE OF CONTENTS Issue No: 216
      National Day of Prayer, May 1, 2014 - Special

      1. Foreword: National Day of Prayer by Dr. Jacob Mathew, Malankara World

      The theme for the USA National Day of Prayer on May 1st, 2014 'One Voice, United in Prayer', is taken from Romans 15:6: 'So that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.' The 2014 theme is all about the need for individuals, corporately and individually, to place their faith in the unfailing character of their Creator, who is sovereign over all governments, authorities, and men." ...

      2. How To Participate in the National Day of Prayer

      Watch the events live from Washington, DC; participate in local events or in your home.

      3. When You Find It Difficult to Focus on Prayer by Fr. Mark

      Prayer - all prayer - is a real combat against the proclivities of our fallen nature. God created us to pray naturally: to pray with every breath and with every heartbeat, or, if you will, God created us to adore Him perpetually, in spirit and in truth. The original sin of our first parents was a falling away from prayer, a falling away from perpetual adoration, a break in the ceaseless heart-to-heart and face-to-face in which, and for which, God created man in His own image and likeness.

      With the entry of sin into the world, prayer became a struggle. The bitter irony is that, while adoration was, in the beginning, man’s natural state, it became, as a result of sin, something hard to do. ...

      4. The Lifeline of Prayer by Shirley Dobson, Chairman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force

      As I learned how to pray and began speaking to the Lord, I sensed His love and care for me. Amid the chaos of our disintegrating family, this little girl found hope and comfort in Jesus. I've been praying and relying on Him ever since.

      The many answers to prayer in my life have reinforced my belief in its power and importance. Prayer is our pathway not only to divine protection, but also to a personal, intimate relationship with God. That's why I am so honored to be in my twenty-second year as chairman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force. I count it a privilege to play a small part in calling people of faith to their knees. ...

      5. Still…Under God - Background of the National Day of Prayer by John Bornschein, Vice Chairman, National Day of Prayer Task Force

      The National Day of Prayer – a tradition of honoring God that began in 1774 at the First Congress when a minister was asked to open with prayer and to lead Congress in the reading of four chapters of the Bible – is a call to all of God's people to unite in prayer in one voice and one mind (Romans 15:6). It is a concept that was birthed in Scripture when the prophets Ezra and Joel (Ezra 9, Nehemiah 8-9, and Joel 1-3) called for the people to unite in humility and reverence before Almighty God. In fact 2 Chronicles 6:13-42 records that all of Israel gathered together to worship and pray unto God. Although the calendar dates have changed, the need for prayer has not. ...

      6. United in Prayer by Dion Elmore, Director, National Day of Prayer

      The other day, a friend of mine sent me an email containing an observation that he had made. He was questioning why so many in the church seem to use two particular verses in Matthew, chapter 18, as texts to illustrate prayer. His perspective was that they were not about prayer in specific at all, but in the context, of church discipline. ...

      7. Women's World Day of Prayer Movement by Mrs. Nirmala Abraham, World Day of Prayer

      World Day of Prayer (WDP) is an international, ecumenical prayer movement initiated and carried out by Christian women across denominations in more than 180 countries and over 1000 languages. It is an annual event conducted for over 87 years, when Christians celebrate a common day of prayer. ...

      8. Bread and Stones - Unanswered Prayers by Ryan Duncan

      We live in a world full of Sin, and bad things are going to happen. It means that sometimes when God answers our prayers, what is needed turns out to be much different than what we wanted. Maybe you prayed that someone would find a job, but instead God asks you to be a friend in a tough time. Maybe you asked for an opportunity to serve abroad, but instead God tells you to serve the people next door. Sometimes we pray for healing, but what God gives us is a shoulder to cry on. ...

      9. 'God, if You…then I'll…': Why You Can't Barter with God by Ben Edwards

      Most pagan gods respond to the barter system. You offer sacrifices to a god, and he responds to help you in the way that he can. Thus, you worship the god of travel, and he in return gives you safe travel; you bring a sacrifice to the god of fertility, and he makes you fruitful; or you give to the god of war to make your army successful.

      The Christian God is nothing like these pagan gods, which means we have nothing to offer God that would make Him respond by giving us a favor. ...

      10. Higher Ways - God's Timing and Prayer by Dr. Gary Chapman

      I often meet Christians who are upset because God hasn't answered their prayers - at least not in the way they had hoped or on their time schedule. Being patient with God does not mean believing that he is still in process but believing that he knows - better than we do - that we are still in process. Being patient with God means trusting that he is sovereign and loving. It means believing that his love will not allow him to answer requests that don't line up with his ultimate purposes. ...

      11. About Malankara World

      Read all the articles and features in this week's Malankara World Journal online at:

      Thank you for your support and help.

      In HIS Service

      Dr. Jacob Mathew
      Malankara World