24652Our Daily Bread:Shout of Triumph

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Mar 29, 2013
      READ: John 19:28-37

      It is finished! —John 19:30

      Recently I read about Aron Ralston, a hiker who was trapped alone at the bottom
      of a remote canyon. With scant hope of being found and his strength
      ebbing away, he had to take drastic measures to save his life. During a
      moment of excruciating pain, he shouted in agony and in victory, because he had freed himself and now had a chance to escape and live.
      Those who witnessed the crucifixion of Jesus saw His hours of agony and heard Him cry out in a loud voice, “It is finished!” as He gave up His spirit (John 19:30). His final words from the cross were not a cry of painful
      defeat but a shout of triumph, because He had accomplished all that the
      Father sent Him to do.
      When Jesus died, He shared in what all of us must experience. But far beyond that, He did what none of us can do. He paid the price for our sins
      that we might be forgiven and have eternal life through faith in Him.
      “It is finished!” was the Lord’s shout of victory because now, through Him, we can escape the power of sin; we can live and be free.
      Because of Jesus’ sacrifice for us, we call the day of His death Good Friday. —David McCasland
      I have been to the cross where my Savior died,
      And all of my life is made new—
      In the person of Him I am crucified.
      I have been to the cross. Have you?
      —Helen Frazee-Bower © 1956 Helen Frazee-Bower
      Jesus died that we might live.