24514Our Daily Bread- Crying Out To God

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Feb 15, 2013
      READ: Psalm 142

      By prayer and supplication . . . let your requests be made known to God. —Philippians 4:6

      After all these years, I still don’t fully understand prayer. It’s something
      of a mystery to me. But one thing I know: When we’re in desperate need,
      prayer springs naturally from our lips and from the deepest level of our hearts.
      When we’re frightened out of our wits, when we’re pushed beyond our limits,
      when we’re pulled out of our comfort zones, when our well-being is
      challenged and endangered, we reflexively and involuntarily resort to
      prayer. “Help, Lord!” is our natural cry.
      Author Eugene Peterson wrote: “The language of prayer is forged in the
      crucible of trouble. When we can’t help ourselves and call for help,
      when we don’t like where we are and want out, when we don’t like who we
      are and want a change, we use primal language, and this language becomes the root language of prayer.”
      Prayer begins in trouble, and it continues because we’re always in trouble at
      some level. It requires no special preparation, no precise vocabulary,
      no appropriate posture. It springs from us in the face of necessity and, in time, becomes our habitual response to every issue—good and bad—we
      face in this life (Phil. 4:6). What a privilege it is to carry
      everything to God in prayer! —David Roper
      What a Friend we have in Jesus,
      All our sins and griefs to bear!
      What a privilege to carry
      Everything to God in prayer. —Scriven