24431Re: Sabha Calendar - Mobile Application Widget

  • drthomas_joseph
    Jan 21, 2013
      Paul,

      You express surprise at the lack of a response to your email; however, I was hoping to understand how you can help create such an application.

      The algorithms are well-established; I presented this at the N. American Syriac Symposium | Syriac Computing Forum in 2003 at the Princeton Theological Seminary and the presentation is at http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar/index.html

      Simon Skaria (now at Microsoft) and I implemented the Java & XSLT code to generate the calendar and every year I publish the html (and rtf formats when I have time) on the SOR site.

      Since the calendar generator code exists, all we need is to port to any target platform and build the necessary UI. It can be a standalone on mobile devices or web based deployment on traditional web.

      Do you or others you know have the skills and time to do this? I can work with someone who is very motivated, skilled, and committed to see the project through; I am very averse to work with any one who is eager to begin but then drops out - which has happened too often in the past.

      The other option is to mobilize funding to engage a third party to do this. While this has a better chance of faster completion, I think we loose an opportunity to use our varied talents collectively and build a community that can do bigger and better things.

      PS: I encourage those who would like to collaborate on this and other such efforts to come together and use our collective talent for the benefit of our life in the Church. I have a group on yahoo for collaborating on such projects - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tarmitho/ - which languishes for lack of interest.

      Regards,
      Thomas Joseph, Ph.D.
      Beth Mardutho: The Syriac Institute (http://www.bethmardutho.org/)
      Syriac Orthodox Resources (http://sor.cua.edu/)
      ID: 0202

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, "Paul ..." wrote:

      > I'm really amazed to see that nobody has replied to this.
      >
      > As a follower of Sabha Calendar (while @ home), I'm finding it tough to follow the same, as I travel a lot.  And, its not practically possible to carry a calendar.
      >
      > Therefore, I found that there is a need of such an application, which can be downloaded to Smart phones as an Application widget, thereby, we can view the same on a daily basis, along with reminders too - regular updation possible.
      >
      > May I have some inputs from you all please!
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Paul
      > ID #1047

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic