24222Our Daily Bread- Nowhere to Hide

    Nov 14, 2012
      READ: Genesis 3:6-13,22-24

      To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood. —Revelation 1:5

      I smelled something burning, so I hurried to the kitchen. Nothing was on
      the stove or in the oven. I followed my nose through the house. From
      room to room I went, eventually ending up downstairs. My nose led me to
      my office and then to my desk. I peeked beneath it and there, peering
      back at me with big eyes pleading for help, was Maggie, our dog, our
      very “fragrant” dog. What smelled like something burning when I was
      upstairs, now had the distinct odor of skunk. Maggie had gone to the
      farthest corner of our house to escape the foul smell, but she couldn’t
      get away from herself.
      Maggie’s dilemma brought to mind the many times I have tried to run away from
      unpleasant circumstances only to discover that the problem was not the
      situation I was in but me. Since Adam and Eve hid after sinning (Gen.
      3:8), we’ve all followed their example. We run away from situations
      thinking we can escape the unpleasantness—only to discover that the
      unpleasantness is us.
      The only way to escape ourselves is to stop hiding, acknowledge our
      waywardness, and let Jesus wash us clean (Rev. 1:5). I am grateful that
      when we do sin, Jesus is willing to give us a brand-new start. —Julie
      Ackerman Link
      From the wondrous cross on Calvary
      Flows the stream that still avails,
      Cleansing hearts and bringing victory
      Through that love which never fails. —Elliott
      Sin’s contamination requires the Savior’s cleansing.