24180Re: Facts about the establishment of Catholicate of east

  • Zach George Arapura
    Oct 27 9:34 AM
      Thank you for shedding more light onto the topic. I am sure you have got your information from a reliable source. As you say UGC allows deemed Universities to set their own curriculum and syllabus. But my understanding is that private deemed universities are not affiliating bodies i.e., they can grant degrees but they are not allowed to have off-campus affiliated colleges. Also JNU is a central university and not a deemed private one so they are free to allow other colleges to be affiliated to them. But the Senate of Serampore College (University) isn't a deemed college and it is not a proper Central University (It was established under a Danish charter act) though technically it is one. That is why they can issue affiliations to other institutes though I don't know whether they allow for any dilutions in the syllabus. And like you I am not aware of any policy change by them.

      If the reason for the disproval of the Patriarch was due to its protestant nature, it should still stand valid, don't you think? I don't think they have suddenly changed into an Orthodox one. And as far as I know Baselios Augen I affiliated the seminary to Serampore College almost 10 years before the letter of the Patriarch asking for clarifications reached him. Was the communications system so bad back then? Or was the clarification on affiliation asked just for the sake of it?

      I have the highest respect for the Senate for Serampore College. In fact my closest relative himself has got a degree from there and another relative, was a student and later a faculty there. So I don't think the degree is a bogus one. What I assumed was that the students at MSOT study the basics of our faith and liturgy in addition to following the syllabus prescribed by Serampore College. But as you further clarified, the students at MSOT seminary follows a different syllabus from the Universities own syllabus. I am not one to comment whether the syllabus is above or below par. But in any case, it is not following the syllabus set by the University for its own use. Perhaps this maybe one of the reasons as to why some or rather many of our priests fail to obtain a BD degree after completing our seminary course.

      Yes, Serampore is the only respected Christian University that has proper theological course but it wouldn't stay that way for all eternity. According to UGC regulations other Universities can also award degrees in theology. The Catholic Church has university in India which awards degrees in theology from Vatican. Like I have mentioned in my message to Dr.Leena, don't you think it's high time we started thinking about a Theological University? I know it is an unrealistic short term goal. But shouldn't we keep it as one of our long term goals at least? Rather than focussing on the material side, shouldn't the focus be on building assets that enhance the spiritual and theological side of our Church?

      Thank you for reading.

      Zach George Arapura
      Member# 3083
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic